Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Narcissism & Social Media

I'll just stick to sports forums.  Even my FB is nothing more than a couple shares of Aztec or Tar Heel stuff.  I don't trust what info they sell on those platforms.  I also don't use Siri, Alexa, or have electrical or cameras on wifi either.  Especially with the Patriot Act still in effect.

10 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Ok I laughed my ass off at these.  They’d be a hell of a lot funnier if they weren’t so true.  Good Christ what are we becoming as a country?

Serious question though.  Isn't this joeybtoonz just as bad?

He scours the internet looking for the worst of us.  Then collects and posts these videos to YouTube all as a means to get likes and generate revenue.  The joeybtoonz of the world act as amplifiers pointing out the worst in us and pretending this is the norm.  I travel quite a lot for work to cities across the country.  Sure I see people taking selfies but I cant think of a single time I've seen people acting narcissistic to this extent.  It's not even close to the norm.  But scour the internet and collect them on a YouTube channel and suddenly America is F#@ked.

America and Americans are nowhere near as bad as what social media and the joeybtoonz of the world portray.  In my opinion joeybtoonz is no different than the people he makes fun of on his YouTube channel.

36 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

He scours the internet looking for the worst of us.  Then collects and posts these vieos to YouTube all as a means to get likes and generate revenue.  The joeybtoonz of the world act as amplifiers pointing out the worst in us and pretending this is the norm.  I travel quite a lot for work to cities across the country.  Sure I see people taking selfies but I cant think of a single time I've seen people acting narcissistic to this extent.  It's not even close to the norm.  But scour the internet and collect them on a YouTube channel and suddenly America is F#@ked.

America and Americans are nowhere near as bad as what social media and the joeybtoonz of the world portray.  In my opinion joeybtoonz is no different than the people he makes fun of on his YouTube channel.

I won’t argue a bit on your points.  

I'm with the Cat Lady on this one. Social media has changed the modalities of communication, placing the focus on output mode and a subsequent external locus of control for validation. It promotes echo chambers over debate stages and in a time when being able to speak to - not at - one another is at a premium, it is arguably the singular least conducive method of communication in history.

And not only does it spread disinformation with the same rapidity as it may spread information of value, It has allowed foreign actors to drive us further apart than any time in the last 160 years.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

17 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

He scours the internet looking for the worst of us.  Then collects and posts these videos to YouTube all as a means to get likes and generate revenue.  The joeybtoonz of the world act as amplifiers pointing out the worst in us and pretending this is the norm.  I travel quite a lot for work to cities across the country.  Sure I see people taking selfies but I cant think of a single time I've seen people acting narcissistic to this extent.  It's not even close to the norm.  But scour the internet and collect them on a YouTube channel and suddenly America is F#@ked.

WTF?? Actually, it’s a form of comedy and entertainment. What do some of the best all time comedians do? They make fun of people in our society that we consider out of line and out of touch with most of us. The added visual just makes it that much more funny.

Comedy can be a great social equalizer. If something or someone is acting out in a certain way that makes them popular to a certain group of people that are going way beyond socially acceptable norms, then we laugh at them, they see we’re laughing them, and it tends to bring them back to earth a bit, and causes some to dial back on that certain behavior.  

He never said everyone does these things, just that a lot of people are and that’s a fact because you can see tons of it posted on social media. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

WTF?? Actually, it’s a form of comedy and entertainment. What do some of the best all time comedians do? They make fun of people in our society that we consider out of line and out of touch with most of us. The added visual just makes it that much more funny.

Comedy can be a great social equalizer. If something or someone is acting out in a certain way that makes them popular to a certain group of people that are going way beyond socially acceptable norms, then we laugh at them, they see we’re laughing them, and it tends to bring them back to earth a bit, and causes some to dial back on that certain behavior.  

He never said everyone does these things, just that a lot of people are and that’s a fact because you can see tons of it posted on social media. 

Nah, it tends to push these fools further into their behaviors and further from the mainstream.

More often than not, if we find a like minded audience, we tend to double down on our attitudes and behaviors.

See DJT.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

30 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Nah, it tends to push these fools further into their behaviors and further from the mainstream.

More often than not, if we find a like minded audience, we tend to double down on our attitudes and behaviors.

See DJT.

It’s satire. Those that don’t recognize it as such are dumb shits. Speaking of which, there are some dumb shits in society. Case in point. When they interview a lot of these people rioting.