Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

OT: Navy / byu Game Day

11 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Navy is completely unprepared.  This was a Top20 team last season.  I understand their offense taking a huge step backwards but I expected a stiffer test from a solid veteran defense.  

I’m not convinced BYU’s as good as they look right now.

Very level headed. It's always dangerous to make too much out of the first game of the year when you don't know who either team is. BYU looks to have a formidable OL at the very least. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Watching the game Sitake was dancing and chest bumping the whole game. I see him as one of those emotional coaches whose team will go flat several times a year. I’m not a fan of teams that rely on emotion to carry them every week. 

Regardless BYU was very impressive. Is BYU that good or Navy that bad? 

Other observations Bushman was a huge loss for BYU. He was an NFL type TE. If they have a weakness it’s in their receiver group. Also, Navy never tested their secondary. 

16 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

BYU haters gotta admit... BYU is looking pretty good for an opening game. They say game 2 is when you see huge improvements over game 1... only critique I have so is the QB being a little more accurate. He missed a couple of wide open guys, and could have checked down, instead of forcing a couple passes. And maybe use their tight ends a little more across the middle, but over all, they're looking good.

Wilson had 5 incompletions.  The first two were drops by Gunner Romney (who ended up having a really good game after missing those two balls).  There was one interception that was thrown where the receiver would have been if he hadn't tripped on the linebacker on his route.  One was a pretty poor overthrow that would have been intercepted if Gunner hadn't made a good play to go up and bat the ball away.  I don't remember the other incompletion.

Since the tight end, Matt Bushman, is their best offensive player I think the game plan was to throw to him a lot...until he tore his Achilles last week and had surgery.  I'm hoping we'll see more production out of that spot in future weeks after Bushman's backups have gotten more reps with the first team.

15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

BYU will likely go undefeated in their six games and will declare themselves national champions when they don’t get picked for the playoff. 

Eight games.  They have eight games scheduled right now.

15 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

This feels weird.

20200907_200150.jpg.d05e22f059bcef83041565686b8d9430.jpg

Yes, it is pretty weird that the top 2 seeds on the women's side of the US Open have been eliminated so early in the tournament for each of the last three years.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I heard Navy didn't do full contact practices in preparation for this game. That can't be true, can it?

That's what they said.

8 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Very level headed. It's always dangerous to make too much out of the first game of the year when you don't know who either team is. BYU looks to have a formidable OL at the very least. 

Since when have BYU fans tapered their delusional expectations? As recently as the Tasom Hill era, we heard plenty of talk about Heisman Trophies and national championships in August...BYU’s best all time month ever.. 

In recent years, reality set in early with schedules front loaded with P5 teams and many losses.  Those lessons are short lived is my guess.. We’ll soon be hearing more yapping about respect after more wins over Montana State Tech and the rest of 2020’s murderous stiffs.

This might go down as a comparable season to 1984 in Provo.. For the last 36 years, BYU fans have milked every drop out of that embarrassing year...

10 hours ago, robe said:

AAC fans thought BYU was going to be a walk over. As Stunner said this was going to be the best BYU team under Sitake. He was right. It’s just one game and I’m not predicting BYU would win the AAC this year. But I will say this they are as good as any AAC team and would have as good a chance as anyone to win that conference. They based their opinion on the Toledo and USF game which BYU had control of both games but never put the game away. BYU lost both games to inferior teams and games that should have been a BYU blowout. 

Does BYU go unbeaten. Every good team has at least 2 crappy games a year. Houston, Army, Troy and western Kentucky are difficult wins if they play crappy. 

You guys dominated Navy on both sides of the line of scrimmage. However, rather than you being great and Navy terrible, I think you're probably quite a bit better than expected and they're probably quite a bit worse. E.g., Phil Steele had you guys as the 52nd best team this year and Navy the 57th. It's just one game but from what I saw, you should have been at ~29 and Navy at ~80 going into the season.

50 minutes ago, utenation said:

Since when have BYU fans tapered their delusional expectations? As recently as the Tasom Hill era, we heard plenty of talk about Heisman Trophies and national championships in August...BYU’s best all time month ever.. 

In recent years, reality set in early with schedules front loaded with P5 teams and many losses.  Those lessons are short lived is my guess.. We’ll soon be hearing more yapping about respect after more wins over Montana State Tech and the rest of 2020’s murderous stiffs.

This might go down as a comparable season to 1984 in Provo.. For the last 36 years, BYU fans have milked every drop out of that embarrassing year...

They did play a lot of cupcakes that season - especially on November 17: https://byucougars.com/schedule/football/1984

20 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You guys dominated Navy on both sides of the line of scrimmage. However, rather than you being great and Navy terrible, I think you're probably quite a bit better than expected and they're probably quite a bit worse. E.g., Phil Steele had you guys as the 52nd best team this year and Navy the 57th. It's just one game but from what I saw, you should have been at ~29 and Navy at ~80 going into the season.

It will be interesting to see how good Navy is once they've had a chance to properly prepare.

Considering only the teams playing this fall, where would you rank BYU right now?

24 minutes ago, Pelado said:

It will be interesting to see how good Navy is once they've had a chance to properly prepare.

Considering only the teams playing this fall, where would you rank BYU right now?

Navy has now played seven years in the AAC. The last three seasons they're just 13-11 in the conference and outright stank two years ago. Academy teams thrive on playing opponents who never see the option and just like SDSU, BYU has seen AFA's option a buzillion times so it simply isn't as effective against them. Of course if your team has idiots coaching the defense, it probably won't matter but I figure Navy has probably now settled into being an AFA, meaning having a couple excellent seasons every 10 years and a couple terrible seasons during that time with the norm being hovering just above .500 but always going to a bowl game even at 6-6 just because of who they are.

YBU? I'm still not sold on Sitake. Not at all in fact. However, seems to me the biggest problem you have is no longer getting all the stud LDS kids like you pretty much did in the Edwards days. Back in the '80s, SDSU almost never got more than one or two Mormons on its roster but that has changed. Seems to me that recently, the main reason is Rocky and Brady Hoke's God Squad approach to recruiting. Looks to me like they almost never even offer kids who aren't inclined to look up to heaven after knocking the snot out of an opponent. Must apparently please the heck out of Jesus.:popcorn:

44 minutes ago, Pelado said:

They did play a lot of cupcakes that season - especially on November 17: https://byucougars.com/schedule/football/1984

It’s no secret Utah was hot garbage in the 80’s.. That’s the difference between most Utah and BYU fans.. We know exactly who we are and where we came from, which frankly pre 1990’s isn’t much to write home about.

On the other hand. Provo has been pumping out 1000’s of gallons of Kool Aid for decades..No matter how bad they’ve been.  I think BYU has produced dozens of Heisman winners and national champions in August since I’ve been around.

At least you guys will finally get a break in 2020 from the decade long beatings from your Daddy in Salt Lake.

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

It’s no secret Utah was hot garbage in the 80’s.. That’s the difference between most Utah and BYU fans.. We know exactly who we are and where we came from, which frankly pre 1990’s isn’t much to write home about.

On the other hand. Provo has been pumping out 1000’s of gallons of Kool Aid for decades..No matter how bad they’ve been.  I think BYU has produced dozens of Heisman winners and national champions in August since I’ve been around.

At least you guys will finally get a break in 2020 from the decade long beatings from your Daddy in Salt Lake.

In addition to their dozens of August championships and awards, they have infinitely more national championships and Heisman awards than Utah.

And you thought we'd already milked every drop out of 1984.  Silly utenation.  It's the neverending tit.

8 minutes ago, Pelado said:

In addition to their dozens of August championships and awards, they have infinitely more national championships and Heisman awards than Utah.

And you thought we'd already milked every drop out of 1984.  Silly utenation.  It's the neverending tit.

Mark it now.. If BYU wins all their games this year, expect the noise and self proclaimed national title UCF gave the world to look like child’s play compared to what will come out of the Y.

The embarrassing delusion is really that bad.

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Mark it now.. If BYU wins all their games this year, expect the noise and self proclaimed national title UCF gave the world to look like child’s play compared to what will come out of the Y.

The embarrassing delusion is really that bad.

The prophet has spoken.  So let it be written, so let it be done.

All I know is I have seen a couple of HS teams play on ESPN that looked better than Navy. They looked like it was the first time they had gathered together as a team and BYU looked and played like this game was for the national title. Of course they always go into their season openers and rivalry games like nothing else matters....mainly because nothing else does in their case.