Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Cobra Kai

10 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Further thoughts?

Thought episodes 4-9 were rock solid. The season finale was a step back tho IMO - too much retread - yeah, they flipped the script - I get it. But keep exploring the nuanced new themes. I was wrong about the lack of character development.

As you know, I am of the old school in that sometimes someone deserves as ass kicking (I know for certain I am on record saying as much on occasion). In that regard, I feel the show on several levels (again, as I'm sure you know). 

IMO they need to go beyond this recurring "I'm totally misreading you/the situation because I missed an important development in the last scene" theme that they use as a story pivot every other episode or so. They've milked the f*ck out of it. BTW, we're midway through season two.

If I'm going to nitpick, I'm tired of hearing shitty 80s music."You listen to Speedwagon?" No you f*cking headbanger dork. I mean, back before there was a legit FM station and I had to listen to whatTFever the was playing on San Diego's AM catch-all station, and sure, REO Speedwagon, Chicago, et al, were played all. day. long. But it wasn;t ike I had much of a choice. But I knew a shitton of Johnny Lawrences. And that's pretty spot-on for what they would listen to. But the crap synthy-pop shit I heard a few episodes back made me cringe.

And they go beyond the nostalgia soundtrack. There was a montage-ish scene a couple episodes back where they were setting up the Miyagi-do dojo/garden and it felt like I was watching an 80s sitcom. 

But it is generally very well written - there have been lines that literally made me laugh out loud. I haven't sparred with my buddy since before the pandemic. Watching this show makes me jones for it.

In the end, I am stoked you turned me on to this. Thanks man. :cheers:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

What does dad think?  TSD has me thinking maybe I have poor taste for enjoying it so much.

I like it too! And I'm glad to watch something with him that isn't part of the DC world. I'm really bored with different worlds and time travel.

My boy has never seen any of the KK movies, I'm sure we'll be tracking those down soon. 

4 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

So are you team Miguel or team Robby?

Both? If this show conveys anything, it's that we live in a world of gray - where good intentions and bad deeds and bad intentions and good deeds can coexist within the same person, often within the same frame. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Im a karate kid nerd the way some of you are Marvel and Star Wars nerds.

When Cobra Kai debuted on Youtube they did a special deal at the theater where you saw the OG Karate Kid and the first episode of Cobra Kai.  I organized a bunch of high school friends to go with our kids, it was a lot of fun.

The show is great, Johnny is a terrific antihero, the cast, story, and acting are great.

Miyagi is one of my all time favorite characters, and Pat had great comedic timing.  I came across this interview, and thought some of you might enjoy it.