Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Cobra Kai

Is amazing.  Just enough of the fantastical (kids turning into black belts during a single summer) to be light.  Enough drama to tug at you.  Humorous.  The Karate is really good.  Fights are choreographed great.  Johnny is a really fun character.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Is amazing.  Just enough of the fantastical (kids turning into black belts during a single summer) to be light.  Enough drama to tug at you.  Humorous.  The Karate is really good.  Fights are choreographed great.  Johnny is a really fun character.

Thank you for the rec. I had no idea this existed.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I love it. It’s such a unique blend of teen drama and male middle aged crises drama. I was actually explaining it to a friend the same age as me today; told him it’s a show about both what life was like for us 17 years ago and what life will be like for us in 17 years. 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I love it. It’s such a unique blend of teen drama and male middle aged crises drama. I was actually explaining it to a friend the same age as me today; told him it’s a show about both what life was like for us 17 years ago and what life will be like for us in 17 years. 

If I can move like Johnny and Danny at that age I will be super, super stoked.

The funniest part for me is Johnny's life from his clothes (faded 501's), music (Ratt, et al.....) and choice of beer (Coors banquet) never left the 80's!

It's a little too unrealistic at times for me, example that long drawn out high school free for all fight scene, but in general it's still enjoyable.  The Karate Kid was the first 'teen' movie I was ever allowed to go to.  I was 11 at the time and hugely disappointed that there was no karate school in my rural town and as Mr. Miyagi taught us you cannot learn karate from a book!

Watched the first three episodes last night. My impressions so far:

The Good: Love the nostalgia factor, as well as the portrayal of the generational culture clash between Gen X and Gen Pussyfart

The Bad: The acting, the casting, the direction, the lack of depth (story or character development). It's almost as if they decided to make alternate endings, but 35 years after the original theatrical release.

The Ugly: Zabka simply can't act; got a feeling that hooptie TransAm is his actual daily driver, and the scenes of his character's ghetto pad were shot on location at this actual home.

Now, as someone who has been accused of being a little too willing to fight (guilty as charged) and as someone who grew up with the OG Karate Kid movies, I really want to like it more than I do. To those of you who are locked in, in your estimation will the show grow on me? Or are the first three episodes as good as it gets?

16 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The Good: Love the nostalgia factor, as well as the portrayal of the generational culture clash between Gen X and Gen Pussyfart

The Bad: The acting, the casting, the direction, the lack of depth (story or character development). It's almost as if they decided to make alternate endings, but 35 years after the original theatrical release.

The Ugly: Zabka simply can't act; got a feeling that hooptie TransAm is his actual daily driver, and the scenes of his character's ghetto pad were shot on location at this actual home.

Now, as someone who has been accused of being a little too willing to fight (guilty as charged) and as someone who grew up with the OG Karate Kid movies, I really want to like it more than I do. To those of you who are locked in, in your estimation will the show grow on me? Or are the first three episodes as good as it gets?

The first couple episodes just kinda set up and bring the nostalgia heavy. Gets so much better the second half of season 1. Season 2 gets pretty dark too.

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I just read the first three segments of your review.  My impression of it so far.

The Good: what you wrote in The Good Section.

The Bad: The other sections.

Now it seems like we are close in age.  Your’s is the first negative review I have come across from people our age. If you approached watching this with the intent of critiquing the the crap out of it.  Then you only have yourself to blame for why you’ve missed it.

3 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

I just read the first three segments of your review.  My impression of it so far.

The Good: what you wrote in The Good Section.

The Bad: The other sections.

Now it seems like we are close in age.  Your’s is the first negative review I have come across from people our age. If you approached watching this with the intent of critiquing the the crap out of it.  Then you only have yourself to blame for why you’ve missed it.

I wouldn't say it's "negative" per say - I'm watching the dick episode (Ep4) right now and enjoying it. I'm just hardwired to sniff out room for improvement. I plan to continue watching it, but just with lower expectations.

6 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I wouldn't say it's "negative" per say - I'm watching the dick episode (Ep4) right now and enjoying it. I'm just hardwired to sniff out room for improvement. I plan to continue watching it, but just with lower expectations.

Perfect, lower the expectations and enjoy it.  

I hadn’t heard anything about it when I started watching.  I figured it was just going to be a money grab.  It definitely was not.  I was hooked about 5 minutes into episode 2.