Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

The only election result that won’t result in wide spread riots and protests is

A Biden blowout on election night. If we don’t know who won election night many are going to suspect fraud.  If Trump wins the left will claim voter suppression and Russian collusion/help.  If Biden wins a close election and if the results shift over the following few days the right is going to claim mail in vote fraud. Either of those results will cause wide spread protests and I don’t believe either side will accept the results of the election. I’m sure I’ll get an idiot button or two by the usual suspects but I’m sure most will agree with this. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I think you're right... but I think if the results as of election night show a narrow trump lead and the expected swing states are tight, and the mail-in situation swings it to biden pretty comfortably Trump wont have enough suppor to mount a serious challenge.

Could be wrong. Every prediction I've had of the GOP acting reasonable thus far has pretty much been false. But I have a hard time believing people like Mitch McConnel will put everything on the line to back a challenge in those circumstances. They got their judges. They probably will have enough clout in the Senate to get a moderate to replace RBG.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

45 minutes ago, mugtang said:

A Biden blowout on election night. If we don’t know who won election night many are going to suspect fraud.  If Trump wins the left will claim voter suppression and Russian collusion/help.  If Biden wins a close election and if the results shift over the following few days the right is going to claim mail in vote fraud. Either of those results will cause wide spread protests and I don’t believe either side will accept the results of the election. I’m sure I’ll get an idiot button or two by the usual suspects but I’m sure most will agree with this. 

I agree. It has made me seriously reconsider voting 3rd party, to be honest. I mean the margin shouldn’t matter... but it will. 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

. I’m sure I’ll get an idiot button or two by the usual suspects but I’m sure most will agree with this. 

You asked for it.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You asked for it.

You weren’t one of the usual suspects :ph34r:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I agree. It has made me seriously reconsider voting 3rd party, to be honest. I mean the margin shouldn’t matter... but it will. 

Utah will vote Red,  so i can vote my conscience

Fuck-em-both-2020-yard-sign1.jpg

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

26 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Utah will vote Red,  so i can vote my conscience

Fuck-em-both-2020-yard-sign1.jpg

Yea, and California will vote blue. Like I said, if Biden were to win it shouldn’t matter if he wins the popular vote by 1 million or 9.... but it probably will. As of right now i am still leaving 3rd party, but I am less sure of that then I was a month ago.

10 minutes ago, Mano said:

If Trump is ahead at all after election night, he will claim victory and call uncounted mail in votes invalid. Will be a shit show.

Hell yeah on the avatar. Just finished a deadwood rewatch with the wife.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

12 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Hell yeah on the avatar. Just finished a deadwood rewatch with the wife.

Deadwood is tragically underrated. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Deadwood is tragically underrated. 

There’s never been a show I’ve seen that’s like it. And not that hot of a take, the ending is perfect. I don’t know how a fourth season could have done it better, but I wish we got to see it.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

There’s never been a show I’ve seen that’s like it. And not that hot of a take, the ending is perfect. I don’t know how a fourth season could have done it better, but I wish we got to see it.

I was pissed with how they ended the series prematurely. The movie was ok, but should have gone at least a couple more seasons. 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I dunno... I thought the ending was better on my rewatch about a year ago than when I first watched it. But I still think the only thing keeping that show from being a top 5 all-timer was just another season or two to see what they could have done.  The ending still feels... premature to me. The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos... they all had those last couple seasons to do something great. The flame died out too early. 

But that aside, that show is high art. Its best moments are better than anything that's ever been on TV. Ever. Period. Al is my favorite character on TV. Ever. Period. The writing is unparalleled, IMO.

An aside... on my first watch, I thoguht Bullock was a stiff of a character. I find him to be much more interesting now after a couple watches. 

7 minutes ago, Mano said:

I was pissed with how they ended the series prematurely. The movie was ok, but should have gone at least a couple more seasons. 

Even if the extra seasons that didn’t happen were bad, the show was so good from scene to scene you’d just love to have them. The movie was fine. Good fan service, but it lacked what made the show so good by the nature of being a movie beholden to a tight plot. Deadwood was at its best just throwing a couple of the dozens of fully fleshed out characters in a scene, and letting them interact.

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I dunno... I thought the ending was better on my rewatch about a year ago than when I first watched it. But I still think the only thing keeping that show from being a top 5 all-timer was just another season or two to see what they could have done.  The ending still feels... premature to me. The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos... they all had those last couple seasons to do something great. The flame died out too early. 

But that aside, that show is high art. Its best moments are better than anything that's ever been on TV. Ever. Period. Al is my favorite character on TV. Ever. Period. The writing is unparalleled, IMO.

I agree it isn’t placed among the mostly agreed upon GOAT shows because of its abrupt ending. Seeing Brian Cox in the aborted 4th season carry out his arc is the one loose end the 3rd season left me hungry for on the rewatch. Other than that, it has everything else the show was about clicking perfectly. It’s like ending LOTR with the “Gondor calls for aid” scene, but as if everything was building to that moment. And you still don’t know what to make of Al Swearengen’s morality right to the end. 

I can’t choose a favorite but he makes my the final cut, along with Bullock.

16 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

An aside... on my first watch, I thoguht Bullock was a stiff of a character. I find him to be much more interesting now after a couple watches. 

I missed the third paragraph. Bullock is an “insane person” and the way he and Swearengen’s morality and worldview clash is incredible. 

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I agree it isn’t placed among the mostly agreed upon GOAT shows because of its abrupt ending. Seeing Brian Cox in the aborted 4th season carry out his arc is the one loose end the 3rd season left me hungry for on the rewatch. Other than that, it has everything else the show was about clicking perfectly. It’s like ending LOTR with the “Gondor calls for aid” scene, but as if everything was building to that moment. And you still don’t know what to make of Al Swearengen’s morality right to the end. 

I can’t choose a favorite but he makes my the final cut, along with Bullock.

I think the ending itself was fine... like I said, on re-watch I liked it a lot better than previously. But I think 5 seasons of Deadwood with the fifth season as the long-planned final season would have put it at another level. Things just felt unresolved. 

That being said... how many great shows have a hard time sticking the landing? 

I'm just happy it exists. 

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I missed the third paragraph. Bullock is an “insane person” and the way he and Swearengen’s morality and worldview clash is incredible. 

Exactly right! Bullock's rage is something I just didn't quite see on my first watch. And the dynamic between them is so rich... they're maybe the best examples on modern TV ever of characters who hate each other but need each other at the same time. They're mutually constitutive. 

The other thing I picked up on my last watch of the show is how much that show is about autonomy, which of course is part of the myth of the west. But they treat it in a way that is really as complicated as the actual history is.

2 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think the ending itself was fine... like I said, on re-watch I liked it a lot better than previously. But I think 5 seasons of Deadwood with the fifth season as the long-planned final season would have put it at another level. Things just felt unresolved. 

That being said... how many great shows have a hard time sticking the landing? 

I'm just happy it exists. 

By ending I mean the latter half of the third season more so than the finale. The penultimate episode is the peak.

Almost all of them have trouble sticking the landing. Sopranos dragged things out because it was a golden goose but the finale was perfect. The Wire’s 5th season was the weakest but the finale crushed. Thrones flew into a mountain, although the visuals we amazing. Breaking Bad should have ended one or two episodes sooner, so that’s a pick your own adventure ending. Mad Men had fell off but did pretty good in the last season. Friday Night Lights doesn’t belong in this conversation but it stuck the landing with three different finales.

Finishing a story is hard to do. What series in any medium sticks the landing well?

16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

By ending I mean the latter half of the third season more so than the finale. The penultimate episode is the peak.

Almost all of them have trouble sticking the landing. Sopranos dragged things out because it was a golden goose but the finale was perfect. The Wire’s 5th season was the weakest but the finale crushed. Thrones flew into a mountain, although the visuals we amazing. Breaking Bad should have ended one or two episodes sooner, so that’s a pick your own adventure ending. Mad Men had fell off but did pretty good in the last season. Friday Night Lights doesn’t belong in this conversation but it stuck the landing with three different finales.

Finishing a story is hard to do. What series in any medium sticks the landing well?

No, it's a good point. But I guess at the end of the day I'd take another season or two of hall-of-fame work even if it meant an ending that was unsatisfying. I mean, if Better Call Saul ended at Season 3, I would have loved it but it wouldn't have been as great. Even Breaking Bad took a while to build to what it became. I just think Deadwood had at least a season if not two or three of top-end TV in them.

Also, tough swipe at Friday Night Lights. I think they should get a handicap for being on a major network. Making good a good hour-long drama in in that environment is tough business. That show could have been Blue Bloods for football. But they decided to make it good.