Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HawaiiMongoose

Hawaii will earn $3.1 million/year for TV rights

I won't link to the article since it's behind a paywall, but the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported yesterday that UH extended its TV rights agreement with Spectrum for another four years with an option to extend to five, covering the 2020-21 to 2024-2025 seasons.  The annual payout from the previous deal peaked at $2.54 million for 2019-2020 and will rise to an average of $3.1 million over the life of the new deal.  The payout is contingent on UH making at least seven football games per year available to Spectrum for pay-per-view broadcast in Hawaii, and decreases by $400,000 for each game less than seven made available.  Spectrum also agreed to continue making UH PPV games available to fans outside Hawaii via streaming options offered in partnership with the MWC.

The agreement also obligates UH to offer and Spectrum to broadcast a total of 60 athletic events per year, covering football, basketball, volleyball, softball, baseball, soccer and women's water polo (the commitment to include water polo is new and is due to UH having a top-ten nationally-ranked program).  This part of the deal ensures Spectrum's cable service in Hawaii will continue to include a channel dedicated 24x7 to live, rebroadcast and on-demand coverage of UH sports.

As most of you know, TV rights money that UH earns from Spectrum reduces UH's share of the MWC TV deal payout on a dollar-for-dollar basis, thereby making more money available for distribution to other MWC conference members.

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Glad Spectrum is increasing the payouts. 

Still sucks we can’t get both full shares but it’s decent

I don’t mind it since the MWC is accommodating UH by ensuring we have the minimum seven games per season to sell to Spectrum (if I recall correctly that was confirmed to be part of the new conference TV deal with CBS and Fox).

I wish we could reduce the travel subsidies though.  I understand why the MWC and BWC insist on them but it strikes me as punative when UH conference football opponents are chartering flights to the Islands at UH expense while our team has to fly commercial.

18 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I don’t mind it since the MWC is accommodating UH by ensuring we have the minimum seven games per season to sell to Spectrum (if I recall correctly that was confirmed to be part of the new conference TV deal with CBS and Fox).

I wish we could reduce the travel subsidies though.  I understand why the MWC and BWC insist on them but it strikes me as punative when UH conference football opponents are chartering flights to the Islands at UH expense while our team has to fly commercial.

The conference is filled with hypocrites.  The same people that bemoan the Boise deal as being unfair, even though they agreed to it refuse any grace towards Hawaii because "they agreed to it".

Congrats or condolences ?

I'm not certain with the give back and travel subs. 

Why did UH sign on for such a shitty deal ?

Were they that desperate to get entry into the MW ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor