Jump to content
Bronco7454

The courageous and the cowardly

Recommended Posts

The courageous being defined here as NCAA football conferences that are going ahead and playing football this fall.  The cowardly - obviously - being those conferences which are cowering in fear over a virus and NOT playing football this season.

 

THE COURAGEOUS

American Athletic Conference

Atlantic Coast Conference

Big 12 Conference

Conference USA

South East Conference

Sun Belt Conference

 

THE COWARDLY

The Big Ten Conference

The Pacific 12 Conference

The Mid American Conference

The Mountain West Conference

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Idiot 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 4
  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're either cowering in fear over a virus or cowering in fear over not being able to pay your bills.   Both reactions are fear driven and accusing the other side of doing it is projecting.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

You're either cowering in fear over a virus or cowering in fear over not being able to pay your bills.   Both reactions are fear driven and accusing the other side of doing it is projecting.

I'm neither.  Cowering is the sign of weakness so I see no courage in the OP.   I see reaction and over reaction.  I see panic without a plan.  When all we've needed was proper, quick testing and we could basically go back to a sense of normalcy until this virus is truly figured out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Football and money is obviously more important to some areas of the country than others. To call some cowards because they place value on the health of their student athletes above a game is ridiculous. 

  • Like 7
  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might thought on the subject...  There are two schools of thought here.  Should the outcome be different than expected for those that opted out, they have their pride hurt.  Should the outcome be different than those that plowed forward to play, the consequences could potentially be worse.  A lot worse.  The bet placed on the lives of the players and coaches, players' and coaches' families and their fans is a bet I would not take.  If you bet wrong, there's no turning back.  Humble pie is one thing but the potential of long term health issues or even worse are not worth the risk.  You cannot place a price on the health and life on one person, a team or its fan base.  Regardless of which side of the fence a team is on, that team will lose money in one fashion or another.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

TCU/SMU game postponed.  Unannounced number of positive tests among the TCU program.

 

From the FW Star Telegram:

 

Sources have indicated that a few position groups have been depleted by the recent outbreak and it simply was not feasible for TCU to go forward with the SMU game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RSF said:

TCU/SMU game postponed.  Unannounced number of positive tests among the TCU program.

 

From the FW Star Telegram:

 

Sources have indicated that a few position groups have been depleted by the recent outbreak and it simply was not feasible for TCU to go forward with the SMU game.

I think we are going to see a lot more of this. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I think we are going to see a lot more of this. 

Probably. I mean don't get me wrong you can still complete a fall season. It is just going to have a lot of randomness. Some teams will be without key players for a week or two, some teams won't even have enough players for a week or two.  There will be some random upsets simply because of health. And good luck determining who should be in the CFP

-limited OOC

-non standard number of games (some teams, with COVID outbreaks, might only play 8 games. How do you compare an 8-0 team vs a 11-1?)

-COVID outbreaks (if a team is 8-2, 8-0 with starters and 0-2 when they were out 10 starters because of COVID, how do you look at their record?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean the Pac-12 and MW you can pretty much blame California. Maybe Cali wasn't going to give the public schools clearance to play...

MAC is money. Without the body bag games it doesn't make financial sense (especially with increased cost associated with COVID testing). Better to hold off till spring cause maybe they can have some fans in the stands and make up for some of that money.

Big-10, idk maybe they were just trying to "lead the way" and hoped other Power-5 conferences would follow. I mean to me they are the only one that doesn't really make sense. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I mean the Pac-12 and MW you can pretty much blame California. Maybe Cali wasn't going to give the public schools clearance to play...

MAC is money. Without the body bag games it doesn't make financial sense (especially with increased cost associated with COVID testing). Better to hold off till spring cause maybe they can have some fans in the stands and make up for some of that money.

Big-10, idk maybe they were just trying to "lead the way" and hoped other Power-5 conferences would follow. I mean to me they are the only one that doesn't really make sense. 

The Big 10 is just about all AAU schools which lead me to believe the presidents of those schools look at things a bit different than most. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big 10 has always been...different.  In good ways and bad.  Academics do matter and stability is paramount.  Theyve had 6 commissioners in 98 years.  And I think the reason we have finally heard some dysfunction is that their new commissioner is just that - new.  We would have never heard a thing if Delany or Duke were in charge.  But now, a couple schools tested the man in town.  Didnt work out well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The Big 10 is just about all AAU schools which lead me to believe the presidents of those schools look at things a bit different than most. 

Liberal states ruling over the few conservative schools.  

  • Like 1
  • Idiot 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it two/three weeks. We'll know then if there is a second wave once the student body and faculty get back on campus.

As much as I want to see West Coast and B1G fb, it's not worth the health risks to the student athletes and those associated with the fb program.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a heckuva lot more about money than politics or geography. Compare the B1G and the MAC. They're located in the same general areas yet, Iowa excepted, the B1G schools are swimming in money whereas half the MAC is in danger of having to shut down its football program. Ergo, the MAC couldn't afford to lose its modest income from the broadcast of football games whereas the B1G can.

As for the MW, any school whose football team will be endangered by not playing this fall is welcome to leave the conference as far as I'm concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Give it two/three weeks. We'll know then if there is a second wave once the student body and faculty get back on campus.

As much as I want to see West Coast and B1G fb, it's not worth the health risks to the student athletes and those associated with the fb program.

The wave is already there at SDSU. There were several hundred new cases this week with only a few thousand students back in the dorms. It's a driver in the County-wide numbers this week.Athletics are shut down for at least two weeks. The Administration is pretty much throwing their hands up in the air over the students partying.

Edit: 286 cases over the weekend after 164 on Friday.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It's a heckuva lot more about money than politics or geography. Compare the B1G and the MAC. They're located in the same general areas yet, Iowa excepted, the B1G schools are swimming in money whereas half the MAC is in danger of having to shut down its football program. Ergo, the MAC couldn't afford to lose its modest income from the broadcast of football games whereas the B1G can.

As for the MW, any school whose football team will be endangered by not playing this fall is welcome to leave the conference as far as I'm concerned.

I assume your definition of "endangered" includes being forced into a situation where the cost of playing the games is prohibitively expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...