Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Famous people who have died so far in 2020

October 23, 2020

John Rushing, 48, February 26, 1972 – October 23, 2020 - American college and professional football coach who previously served as the Secondary Coach for Boise State in 1999.  He also coached at Montana State and Utah State in similar roles (Secondary Coach and Cornerback coach).  He then went on to the Green Bay Packers of the NFL where he coached Wide Receivers, Special Teams, Offensive Quality Control, and Defensive Qualify Control.  He then coached one year (2016) for the Los Angeles Rams of the NFL.  After which he coaches Safeties for Oregon State (2017) and for Arizona State (2018-2019).  No official cause of death has been released to date.

John Rushing

October 27, 2020

Jimmy Orr (October 4, 1935 – October 27, 2020) , 85 , American football wide receiver with the Baltimore Colts (1962-1970) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1958-1961).  Super Bowl champion (1971).  Cause of death has not been disclosed.  Selected to play in the Pro Bowl twice (1959 & 1965).  Over 13 NFL seasons Orr caught 400 passes for 7,914 yards and 66 touchdowns in 149 games. He averaged a whopping 19.8 yards per catch and three times led the league in yards per catch.  He also played in the 1969 Super Bowl when the New York Jets upset the heavily favored Baltimore Colts.

image.jpeg.45d1de68a69cf71ba4c5e02f54a2f301.jpeg

On 10/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, gold-n-brown said:

Jerry Jeff Walker passed away at 78.  Rip to a great singer songwriter.  Everyone knows mr. Bojangles but he had a ton of great songs.

Center of my music appreciation universe. I got to see him in the latter 70s/early 80s during his “burn the candle at both ends and finding new ways to light it” phase and after his career reset.  Jerry Jeff brought me to Guy Clark, Joe Ely, Todd Snider, and far, far more by the artists’ links.  

Now, Billie Joe Shaver gone, too. Tough week for Texas. 

5 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Center of my music appreciation universe. I got to see him in the latter 70s/early 80s during his “burn the candle at both ends and finding new ways to light it” phase and after his career reset.  Jerry Jeff brought me to Guy Clark, Joe Ely, Todd Snider, and far, far more by the artists’ links.  

Now, Billie Joe Shaver gone, too. Tough week for Texas. 

I was the reverse.  Huge Todd Snyder fan who showed me Jerry Jeff.  Late 70's? Nice man!

4 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

I was the reverse.  Huge Todd Snyder fan who showed me Jerry Jeff.  Late 70's? Nice man!

Love Todd.  His 18 minute Jerry Jeff story and cover of that standard is even better than his high school football story W/Greencastle Blues. 

I got turned on to Jerry Jeff in the early ‘70s and he finally made it to SW Idaho later in the decade.  I first saw him on a two show night. 1st show was 2 hours. Some friends went to that one.  I saw the 2nd show which lasted almost 2.5 hours.  Then Jerry Jeff went across the street to a rodeo and sang and partied into the August night. Todd was right about cocaine. 

October 30, 2020

Herb Adderley, 81, American football Cornerback for the Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys.  Enshrined into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1980.  Drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the first round of the 1961 NFL Draft.  He was originally a halfback for the Packers but Vince Lombardi - begrudgingly - moved him to Cornerback because the Packers already had future NFL Hall of Famers Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor as their running backs.  Adderly started for the Packers from 1961 thru 1969 and then played three seasons with the Cowboys.  He was named NFL First-Team All-Pro four times.  Cause of death was not disclosed.

image.jpeg.9f2a2178487c54cf7be14bdd5a2ea5e6.jpeg

October 31, 2020

Sir Sean Connery, 90, Scottish actor.  Best known for his starring role in the James Bond movies from 1962 to 1971 and then one last time in 1983.  He also won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the movie "The Untouchables" in 1987.  He was also known for his role as Indiana Jones' father in the Indiana Jones movies.   Connery died in his sleep at his home in Nassau in the Bahamas.

Publicity photo

November 8, 2020

Alex Trebek, 80, Canadian-American game show host.  Best known for hosting and producing the TV game show "Jeopardy" from 1984 to 2020.  He also appeared in a number of movies & TV series such as "The X-Files", "Seinfeld", "Cheers", etc.   Born George Alexander Trebek on July 22, 1940, in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.  Died November 8, 2020, at his home.  Cause of death pancreatic cancer.

Alex Trebek

On 10/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, Bronco7454 said:

October 30, 2020

Herb Adderley, 81, American football Cornerback for the Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys.  Enshrined into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1980.  Drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the first round of the 1961 NFL Draft.  He was originally a halfback for the Packers but Vince Lombardi - begrudgingly - moved him to Cornerback because the Packers already had future NFL Hall of Famers Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor as their running backs.  Adderly started for the Packers from 1961 thru 1969 and then played three seasons with the Cowboys.  He was named NFL First-Team All-Pro four times.  Cause of death was not disclosed.

image.jpeg.9f2a2178487c54cf7be14bdd5a2ea5e6.jpeg

(Edit) not sure why first video won't embed.

Played in four of the first six Super Bowls.

https://youtu.be/K4Mjqm3tOTM

110926run_defense710.jpg

On 11/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, thatsmymammy said:

Neil Peart January 7, 2020

Kelly Preston July 12, 2020

I have never heard of Neil Peart so that, in and of itself, does not qualify as "famous" as far as I'm concerned.

Kelly Preston was listed on the original compilation - seen in the very first post in this thread.

November 13, 2020

Paul Hornung, 84, American NFL Hall of Fame football player (1986) for the Green Bay Packers and 1961 NFL Most Valuable Player and 1956 Heisman Trophy winner for Notre Dame.  He played on four NFL championships teams with the Packers (1961, 1962, 1965 and 1966).  Hornung also served in the U.S. Army in 1961 while still playing for the Packers - thanks to an arrangement between President John F. Kennedy and Green Bay Packers head coach Vince Lombardi.  Cause of death due to complications from dementia.

Packers news: Legendary 'Golden Boy' Paul Hornung passes at 84

On 11/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, Bronco7454 said:

November 8, 2020

Alex Trebek, 80, Canadian-American game show host.  Best known for hosting and producing the TV game show "Jeopardy" from 1984 to 2020.  He also appeared in a number of movies & TV series such as "The X-Files", "Seinfeld", "Cheers", etc.   Born George Alexander Trebek on July 22, 1940, in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.  Died November 8, 2020, at his home.  Cause of death pancreatic cancer.

Alex Trebek

This one hurts the most. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

This one hurts the most. 

I'd disagree with that.  There are a number of famous people who have died in 2020 who I - personally - will miss more than Alex Trebek.  But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I'd say the death of Sir Sean Connery "hurts" a LOT more than Alex.

image.png.6e2f1f158f21fd2cc29a9589e9bb99c4.png

16 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

I'd disagree with that.  There are a number of famous people who have died in 2020 who I - personally - will miss more than Alex Trebek.  But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  I'd say the death of Sir Sean Connery "hurts" a LOT more than Alex.

image.png.6e2f1f158f21fd2cc29a9589e9bb99c4.png

That one is a close second for me.  I should’ve clarified that it hurt the most for me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater