Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

Trump Era Race Relations

4 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i would argue trayvon martin's murder wasn't helpful to race relations, but that's me.

I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, the only thing I can recall having debated on this forum to any extent during Obama's presidency was that event and I remember former Fresno State poster Yoda arguing vigorously that the whole thing was the kid's fault for wearing the hoodie, tackling George Whozit, etc.

15 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Gays want marriage euality = oppression

Women wanting less inappropriate sexual behavior from men = oppression

black people and dems pushing for the end of structural racism = oppression

okie dokie

Those requests are often met by oppressive reactions and  behaviour.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

16 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

So yeah, I think Obama as somewhat a causative factor in the decline of race relations although contrary to Trump, unintentionally so.

Because some people couldn't stand the idea of a black president and others thought it meant racism and they was over and they wouldn't have to hear about it anymore so when they kept hearing about how racism still exists they blew a gasket. 

17 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

how narcissistic of you, and that's the whole problem isn't it? People doing what you just did, making your experience then only valid one. Good job.

Yeah, that is the whole problem as people like you seem to think I should treat every race differently!  What part of the Golden Rule has race in it?  

A better question might be police relations in inner cities, or job opportunities for blacks in areas or things like that and then delve into those issues and see where race might be playing  a part.   Not to simply say race is keeping me down.  Every black person I know would be offended by that kind of talk.  

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

Yeah, that is the whole problem as people like you seem to think I should treat every race differently!  

When have I said this? Seems pretty clear that black people are asking white citizens to honor the golden rule and that is met with all sorts of stories from white guys how their experience is different? Yeah no shit it is, that's why we're here. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Because of people like you that are obsessed with race

This is what they said in the 60's too. 

It's funny, growing up a POC I rarely ever thought about race aside from when white people made me. In California it almost never comes up. But while living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my brother and I would ride bikes with the neighbor kids and one day we tried to go in their house to get a drink of water or use the restroom(cant remember)...and we we're stopped by the kids father who said he couldn't have people like us in his house. His children apologized, but right now that guy is out there some where, barely 60, probably pretending he isn't racist. 

Now, I'm betting most of the white folks on this board haven't had an experience like that. And its not anyone's fault specifically, but it is a part of the American experience for a lot of POC. And just like you guys don't like feeling like you are grouped with actual racists, denying the experience of people that don't look like you is worse.

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

It's funny, growing up a POC I rarely ever thought about race aside from when white people made me. In California it almost never comes up. But while living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my brother and I would ride bikes with the neighbor kids and one day we tried to go in their house to get a drink of water or use the restroom(cant remember)...and we we're stopped by the kids father who said he couldn't have people like us in his house. His children apologized, but right now that guy is out there some where, barely 60, probably pretending he isn't racist. 

Now, I'm betting most of the white folks on this board haven't had an experience like that. And its not anyone's fault specifically, but it is a part of the American experience for a lot of POC. And just like you guys don't like feeling like you are grouped with actual racists, denying the experience of people that don't look like you is worse.

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. Fat people and many with learning or physical disabilities get similar ignorant  treatment in one form or another. 

Just now, Bob said:

The east and south must be CONSIDERABLY more racist than the west and Rockies

I would say that the cultures out there are older. And so when you hear things like systemic racism, to me that is what is the issue back east and the south...its in the air...it's how you live, like the unspoken rules of baseball that everyone knows but never get mentioned until someone breaks them. So yeah, racism seems more obvious east of the Rockies, at least in my experience. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I have had a similar experience (both as a kid and as an adult), sadly, and it isn't fun.

But.... It wasn't because of race, but because of my religion.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

I have had a similar experience (both as a kid and as an adult), sadly, and it isn't fun.

But.... It wasn't because of race, but because of my religion.

Not surprised at all. And not to say what happened to you isn't 100% awful and wrong, because it definitely is...but we can all choose which god we pray to, no one gets to choose their skin color. 

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I would say that the cultures out there are older. And so when you hear things like systemic racism, to me that is what is the issue back east and the south...its in the air...it's how you live, like the unspoken rules of baseball that everyone knows but never get mentioned until someone breaks them. So yeah, racism seems more obvious east of the Rockies, at least in my experience. 

Having lived in he West my whole life, it is completely odd that people discriminate based on race like this.  The South and parts of the Northeast have an odd history of racism towards African Americans. 

I was taught to be blind to race, and judge people on the content of their character---basically what MLK advocated.   Now, there is a hyper-focus on race, as if people of different races are different species of human, or something.   I don't like it.  It seems to divide people.   We shouldn't be looking through the lens of race on everything, in my opinion. 

Also, thinking about this, if I have ever witnessed racism in the Western United States, it has mostly been directed towards Mexicans / Latinos.   I've heard lots of Mexican jokes and derogatory things said about Mexicans over the years.   That seems to have died down, though, the last 5 years or so. 

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Not surprised at all. And not to say what happened to you isn't 100% awful and wrong, because it definitely is...but we can all choose which god we pray to, no one gets to choose their skin color. 

I hear what you are saying... but....

People do not get to change their religious convictions to avoid attacks / discrimination.

Suggesting that a person can (or should) abandon their religion to avoid a hostile work environment is not true.   The Junior High kid doesn't get to avoid the teacher.

That'd be like saying a Muslim should just abandon their religious beliefs if someone makes for a hostile work environment towards Muslims.   Should they have to do that?  No. 

Bottom line.  We ought to respect people. 

The state has made race relations worse. It isn't the people.

You have a Democrat party that's more than willing to cast their electorate as victims, and a Republican party ready to oblige with heavy handed prejudice against minorities.

Where were all the police killings in the 80s and 90?. In, what was it, 1991? The Rodney King beating (yes only a BEATING) was so outrageous. Now Republicans scoff at a dad getting shot seven times in the back in front of his kids.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

The state has made race relations worse. It isn't the people.

You have a Democrat party that's more than willing to cast their electorate as victims, and a Republican party ready to oblige with heavy handed prejudice against minorities.

Where were all the police killings in the 80s and 90?. In, what was it, 1991? The Rodney King beating (yes only a BEATING) was so outrageous. Now Republicans scoff at a dad getting shot seven times in the back in front of his kids.

One thing is for certain...

There will be another unjust police shooting of a black person (same as unjust shooting of Latinos and whites, honestly) in about 3-4 months, that will be caught on video.   

The media will then run it non-stop (clicks), and the politicians on both sides will seize on it to advance their personal political ambitions.   

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

One thing is for certain...

There will be another unjust police shooting of a black person (same as unjust shooting of Latinos and whites, honestly) in about 3-4 months, that will be caught on video.   

The media will then run it non-stop (clicks), and the politicians on both sides will seize on it to advance their personal political ambitions.   

We need to rethink policing.

Police, if you're called out on a minor infraction, just let people go and arrest them later. Stop escalating the situation in the heat of the moment and shooting people, for +++++'s sake.

I get along with almost 90 percent of police. And even though I'm white I can still get a billy badass officer wanting to be disrespectful for no reason. I can't imagine what my percentage would be if I were black, like 20-30 percent?

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I want to clarify one thing...

I agree that, let's say, if you have dark skin, it is much easier to experience day to day racism.  So if you walk into a store, everyone is going to see, off-hand, your race.  You can't hide that fact about yourself.  You are more likely to experience discrimination---the bigots will find you.  (hopefully people won't focus on a person's race....and will treat everyone with respect).

That is also true for SOME religions.   Orthodox Jews (the cap on their head, and dress), some Muslims (head scarves), Amish (dress), Sikhs (turbin)---those people instantly signal the entire world who and what they are.   There is no hiding it.  So, their religion is almost the same as a race, with regard to their day to day experience, and discrimination .

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, CV147 said:

We need to rethink policing.

Police, if you're called out on a minor infraction, just let people go and arrest them later. Stop escalating the situation in the heat of the moment and shooting people, for +++++'s sake.

I get along with almost 90 percent of police. And even though I'm white I can still get a billy badass officer wanting to be disrespectful for no reason. I can't imagine what my percentage would be if I were black, like 20-30 percent?

Problem is that a lot of people that become Police Officers were the high school jocks.   They have a tough guy culture and don't like to back down. 

That's a general stereotype, but I think it is somewhat true. 

Haven't read this thread, and I don't mean to. But here's an interesting factoid...

In Obama's second term, serious GOP heavyweights like Rand Paul were making the case for criminal justice reform and pointing out on the floors of congress that the criminal justice system hurt minorities more than white people. (Hint: that means they were concerned about systemic racism)

Today, the president denies systemic racism exists. And Rand Paul is trying to find out who on the plane of angry black antifa terrorists is funding the attempt to mess up his walk from the Capitol building to his car. 

But, yeah... race relations got worse under obama. 

Dipshits.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Now, I'm betting most of the white folks on this board haven't had an experience like that. And its not anyone's fault specifically, but it is a part of the American experience for a lot of POC.

We lived in Fresno in 1960 when a family from Atlanta with two boys moved across the street. I was 6 and the two were 6 and 8. They always used the N-word in reference to Black Americans but never once when they came to our house and used that word did Mom, who was originally from Idaho, fail to correct them and say the proper term was Negro. Their father was a racist steaming POS who frequently beat up their mother who I don't think was at all racist but who was understandably scared shitless of the turd she married. (Seems to me the same applies to Melania who I doubt is a racist but who probably wonders what The Donald would do if she crossed him.)