Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

NCAA Gets Political

1 minute ago, BYUcougfan said:

No question BYU is white bread.  Does not change that the vast majority of fans in the stands at all D1 games are white bread.

Because of economics 

I saw a documentary a couple of years back where people talked about the racial and economic diversity that was present at Balt Colts games. 

The Ravens come to town several years later and it is predominantly wealthy whites. I know there are some well off minorities and some ballplayers buy Tix for the underprivileged. And, the wealthy/elitite whites segregate themselves from the rest in Luxury Suites.

The working classes can no longer afford Tix to an NBA, NFL, or MLB game. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

19 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Now we’re getting theoretical about just how many people are offended enough by “black lives matter” or whatever else they do to stop watching or attending games. Personally, I love football so much that I watch it despite the jingoism present at every single game. I just ignore it. But even if those numbers are significant, it’s better than not playing at all; however, the fact is we don’t know how it might affect support.

We also don’t know how many people who were never interested in college sports before might tune in or get involved. We don’t know how many current students might become more dedicated alums as a result. Look, the boomer generation that has supported college sports for my entire life is going to be gone soon. Colleges need younger people to care, and right now, most don’t. Maybe they will if they see athletes and athletic programs caring about the same things they do. 

Regardless, players are recognizing their considerable power and using it for a purpose that’s more important than football (even if some fans don’t get it). 

You’d be singing a different tune if they were wanting to defund planned parenthood, get rid of social welfare programs, privatize social security etc.  you only back them up because you think you’re woke. 

49 minutes ago, brillio said:

You’d be singing a different tune if they were wanting to defund planned parenthood, get rid of social welfare programs, privatize social security etc.  you only back them up because you think you’re woke. 

Well let me know when that happens. I somehow doubt that college and pro football teams are going to be made up of disaffected, middle-aged men who still listen to am talk radio any time soon. 

But to be frank, I love the sport no matter what bullshit you put around it. Those military flyovers and flag-waving displays of nationalism bother me, sure, but I watch because I love the sport. If kaepernick kneeling was enough to turn you off forever, I’d question how much you loved the game. What you really love is your own identity, and when football no longer coincides with it, you toss it aside. The sport, by itself and with no strings attached, means something to me. So no. You’re leveling that accusation at the wrong guy.

1 hour ago, brillio said:

Isn’t that the truth. Let players put political messages like Abortion is Murder, Jesus is my Savior, All Lives Matter, MAGA, etc. on their uniforms and watch the reaction from the left. Tebow was crucified (no pun intended) for expressing his religious beliefs when he played. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Isn’t that the truth. Let players put political messages like Abortion is Murder, Jesus is my Savior, All Lives Matter, MAGA, etc. on their uniforms and watch the reaction from the left. Tebow was crucified (no pun intended) for expressing his religious beliefs when he played. 

Which one of these bothers you?

Approved phrases include "Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Si Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man;

I think sports fans are in for a rude awakening if they have a problem with this list. I’m guessing this must have been a huge issue with fans in the early 70s when programs like Alabama and BYU started to allow black players on scholarship in numbers. I can only imagine the angst that’s coming....

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Thus proving thats its not politics in sports thats the problem, its politics one disagrees with...or at least misunderstands.

And Tebow wasnt crucified for his religious beliefs any more than the dozens, even hundreds of players who express their religious beliefs on a regular basis.  Tebow was crucified for being overhyped.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Guess the black athletes who say some of their white audience only cares about them for entertainment and that's it were right. If the political messages were stroking Murica's ego you'd love it.

It is the business of entertainment.   What did old chuck say about role models.  

56 minutes ago, slappy said:

It is the business of entertainment.   What did old chuck say about role models.  

Exactly. Athletes and celebs are the last people I would try to emulate or listen to for advice. They don’t live in the real world. 

6 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Which one of these bothers you?

Approved phrases include "Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Si Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man;

I think sports fans are in for a rude awakening if they have a problem with this list. I’m guessing this must have been a huge issue with fans in the early 70s when programs like Alabama and BYU started to allow black players on scholarship in numbers. I can only imagine the angst that’s coming....

No, people are just sick of all the political shit and are used to watching sports as an escape from the news, every day life bullshit. There’s nothing wrong with those phrases, technically. But a lot fans don’t want sports being politicized, and there will be a lot of people that stop watching, which will hurt, and then the NCAA will finally realize that it’s the fans that have all the power here, not the NCAA, not the conference, not the school, not the coaches, not the players. 

kat.jpg

56 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, people are just sick of all the political shit and are used to watching sports as an escape from the news, every day life bullshit. There’s nothing wrong with those phrases, technically. But a lot fans don’t want sports being politicized, and there will be a lot of people that stop watching, which will hurt, and then the NCAA will finally realize that it’s the fans that have all the power here, not the NCAA, not the conference, not the school, not the coaches, not the players. 

Oh, shut the fck up, Convert. If you knew for a fact that they’d be putting “Trump 2020” on their jerseys, you’d be Ejaculating in your pants and calling it their Patriotic freedom to wear whatever they want. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 6:53 PM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

College athletes have power. Deal with it.

LOL.

If they had 'power" they wouldn't need permission.

File under: It's cheaper than paying them

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

All this nonsense will pass.It's a tantrum that will cease when it's no longer politically useful for those pulling the strings. I treat this like they're my five year old grandson  throwing a temper tantrum because I won't let him have a popsicle for breakfast. Just ignore it.

Besides,most of these young men are savvy enough to be able to navigate the currents. Put a slogan on my uni so I don't have to put up with swimming  upstream- play basketball. Get drafted. Make money

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 9/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

To me it's a matter of degree. What you say in your second sentence would annoy me since it's so in-your-face. However, as a big 49ers fan, whether Kaepernick kneeled or not was of no significance unless it became such a distraction that it hurt the team's play on the field.

A good friend of mine who is also a big Niners fan was just disgusted by what Kaep did. But then he's a lifelong Republican and stuff like that and flag burning which are of no importance to me always seems to be a BFD to people of that political ilk.

Spare me. NFL prayer circles have bugged the shit out of the Godless Democrats for forever.  Tim Tebow was Lefty Satan

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

13 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Oh, shut the fck up, Convert. If you knew for a fact that they’d be putting “Trump 2020” on their jerseys, you’d be Ejaculating in your pants and calling it their Patriotic freedom to wear whatever they want. 

Why don’t you drag yourself back to the bush’s at Jeff Tedford’s house and keep stalking him until he agrees to take the Fresno job back. I hear he’s actually looking at the SJSU job the next time it opens. Much less stress, and it would literally cause your head to explode and end the stalking.

kat.jpg

What was that vampire movie series that had all the housewives getting tattoos and **** like ten years ago?

This is what all the SJW crap has evolved into. Just when you think it's reached the pinnacle of suckitude, there's a sequel that ups the dipsh't ante.

Protest or chase a ball around the field

Chase a ball around the field, or protest. 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You mean those prayer circles made up of mostly Democrats?

Racist making racist assumptions is racist

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke