Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

NCAA Gets Political

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Guess the black athletes who say some of their white audience only cares about them for entertainment and that's it were right. If the political messages were stroking Murica's ego you'd love it.

Do you care about any of the white/hispanic/asian athletes outside of their entertainment value? Race has nothing to do with it. People don't like mixing politics and sports. Sorry if that's hard to accept. At the end of the day, these are athletes (some student some professional) who are there to compete. If they want to have jobs in the future they have to be primarily concerned with entertaining or fans won't patronize their product. We care about them as individuals to be sure, but their main purpose on the field is to play the game they love to play and sell tickets/get viewership. 

All that said, racial injustice is an important issue that has to be discussed. You just have to do it in the right venue and at the right time to create lasting change. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

17 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Do you care about any of the white/hispanic/asian athletes outside of their entertainment value? Race has nothing to do with it. People don't like mixing politics and sports. Sorry if that's hard to accept. At the end of the day, these are athletes (some student some professional) who are there to compete. If they want to have jobs in the future they have to be primarily concerned with entertaining or fans won't patronize their product. We care about them as individuals to be sure, but their main purpose on the field is to play the game they love to play and sell tickets/get viewership. 

All that said, racial injustice is an important issue that has to be discussed. You just have to do it in the right venue and at the right time to create lasting change. 

All you're doing is repeating the comments made every 20 years or so when black folks get fed up and there is a march or a boycott or some other similar action. And all the while we have gotten more progressive and sports have become even more popular. You'll just be replaced with a younger viewer who isn't wetted to status quo and progress will just keep on without you. It's folks like you that lose out, not the athletes that get richer with each passing generation.

17 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

All you're doing is repeating the comments made every 20 years or so when black folks get fed up and there is a march or a boycott or some other similar action. And all the while we have gotten more progressive and sports have become even more popular. You'll just be replaced with a younger viewer who isn't wetted to status quo and progress will just keep on without you. It's folks like you that lose out, not the athletes that get richer with each passing generation.

The bolded is a sneaky assumption that I don't know that you can make. Sports have definitely become more profitable, but in-person viewership is down as is TV viewership for all sports besides football. The NBA has had their lowest rated playoffs in decades during a time when we are immensely starved for sports. Here's where I think we are talking over each other: I don't disagree with the cause of Black Lives Matter or that there is racial injustice in how minorities are treated by police in many cases. Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I tend to think the message is more persuasive and creates the kinds of change the good people of this country want through different mediums than sports. Call it a personal preference. I watch sports to watch sports. If I want politics I read the news or come here. In 2020 this is especially true. All of us are exhausted with the non-stop reporting on COVID, Riots, racial injustice etc. Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard it. Seeing it at a sporting venue likely won't help drive home the message more. 

I am open to having my mind changed here, though. Let me know your thoughts. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

9 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

The bolded is a sneaky assumption that I don't know that you can make. Sports have definitely become more profitable, but in-person viewership is down as is TV viewership for all sports besides football. The NBA has had their lowest rated playoffs in decades during a time when we are immensely starved for sports. Here's where I think we are talking over each other: I don't disagree with the cause of Black Lives Matter or that there is racial injustice in how minorities are treated by police in many cases. Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I tend to think the message is more persuasive and creates the kinds of change the good people of this country want through different mediums than sports. Call it a personal preference. I watch sports to watch sports. If I want politics I read the news or come here. In 2020 this is especially true. All of us are exhausted with the non-stop reporting on COVID, Riots, racial injustice etc. Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard it. Seeing it at a sporting venue likely won't help drive home the message more. 

So, keep in mind live sports still rules the day...there are just hundreds of more viewing options than there were before. The reason black athletes feel like they have to do something with their sport is you aren't going to find a larger audience of the very folks they are trying to reach. I understand it is uncomfortable and that most of us watch sports for fun. You used the word exhausted, now imagine how people trying to get this message out feel...

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

It's not the message.  It's that the politics don't belong there.

Put "Black Lives Matter" in one endzone, and "Protect the Unborn" in the other.  Let's see how that goes.

To me it's a matter of degree. What you say in your second sentence would annoy me since it's so in-your-face. However, as a big 49ers fan, whether Kaepernick kneeled or not was of no significance unless it became such a distraction that it hurt the team's play on the field.

A good friend of mine who is also a big Niners fan was just disgusted by what Kaep did. But then he's a lifelong Republican and stuff like that and flag burning which are of no importance to me always seems to be a BFD to people of that political ilk.

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Does wearing a message on their uniforms affect their ability to perform? Of course not.

So why does it negatively affect your enjoyment of watching? 

35 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Does wearing a message on their uniforms affect their ability to perform? Of course not.

So why does it negatively affect your enjoyment of watching? 

It absolutely doesn't. 

20 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

MAGA? No black armbands?

image.png.65f95d4a0410c94bdd19bd1a0c1c3b77.png

Wasn't this from the 60's ?

It was a total shit move on Coach Eatons part.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Shut up and dribble !

Laura Ingraham

Most whites take this view because it makes them feel uncomfortable and they don't want to think about it while watching a game. Yet when it is brought up outside of the sporting spectrum, they still get responses like, "you're an entertainer not a politician or a reporter."

Entertainers have an imperative to speak up simply because they do have a soapbox 

Americans Mayor

1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

Shut up and dribble !

Laura Ingraham

Most whites take this view because it makes them feel uncomfortable and they don't want to think about it while watching a game. Yet when it is brought up outside of the sporting spectrum, they still get responses like, "you're an entertainer not a politician or a reporter."

Entertainers have an imperative to speak up simply because they do have a soapbox 

It's true, they have a bigger platform. How well has that platform worked for celebrities? I don't know about you, but I often do a heavy eye roll when celebrities lecture the general public on some topic during their Oscar acceptance speeches. It comes across as incredibly disingenuous and rarely has an effect in changing minds or moving platforms forward.

3 hours ago, madmartigan said:

So sports are supposed to be political safe spaces? I though right wingers hated those?

10 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So sports are supposed to be political safe spaces? I though right wingers hated those?

Right wingers do hate them as far as I know. Personal preference- I watch sports for reprieve and relaxation. People may choose to not patronize sports if they become overly politicized. That's my main point. It's also not terribly persuasive- do athletes praising Jesus make you want to go to church/be more religious? Generally the people that already agree with the message will have it affirmed and the people that don't will simply roll their eyes and move on. Much like arguing on this message board. 

Just now, madmartigan said:

Right wingers do hate them as far as I know. Personal preference- I watch sports for reprieve and relaxation. People may choose to not patronize sports if they become overly politicized. That's my main point. 

Those people only choose not to patronize sports if they become “overly politicized” if they don’t agree with the message. Like when NASCAR took some politics out of their sport by banning that one flag, and a bunch of people that I’m sure bitch about black people “politicizing sports” politicized the shit out of the next NASCAR race by protesting that decision. 

43 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

It's true, they have a bigger platform. How well has that platform worked for celebrities? I don't know about you, but I often do a heavy eye roll when celebrities lecture the general public on some topic during their Oscar acceptance speeches. It comes across as incredibly disingenuous and rarely has an effect in changing minds or moving platforms forward.

You watch the Oscars'? :unsure:

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

To me it's a matter of degree. What you say in your second sentence would annoy me since it's so in-your-face. However, as a big 49ers fan, whether Kaepernick kneeled or not was of no significance unless it became such a distraction that it hurt the team's play on the field.

A good friend of mine who is also a big Niners fan was just disgusted by what Kaep did. But then he's a lifelong Republican and stuff like that and flag burning which are of no importance to me always seems to be a BFD to people of that political ilk.

Actually, the knee thing wasn't that big of a deal until Trump got bent out of shape over it.

I'm guessing 99% of those watching on TV don't watch the anthem. First off, a small pct of the total NFL audience is watching the 49ers game. Unless it is the Sunday Nighter. Secondly, those that are watching that game, are typically watching the end of another game until that game starts.

Those at that stadium see it. The media starting reporting on it. Then DT decided to start tweeting in the afternoon.

The sad part is, he successfully turned the debate away from Police Abuse/Race relations and turned it into one of Patriotism.

This, is an example how the White Nationalism crowd oppresses w/o being overt about.

Americans Mayor

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You watch the Oscars'? :unsure:

Only if there's a nip slip. 

9 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So wearing of a message doesn't negatively affect your enjoyment? 

Good, we can all keep watching  :cheers:

I'm guessing it's okay when the Service Academies do it because they are promoting what are considered more positive messages.

Honor, Duty, Loyalty, etc.

But, messages of racial unity or Police/Community relations are perceived as being negative.

:thumbsup:

It's amazing how then political extremes can't see the hypocrisy of their message and actions.

Americans Mayor

5 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

Actually look at the people in the stands the next time the camera pans the crowd (assuming we are ever allowed to go to a game again).  Have you not noticed?  It is largely white people, unless it is a game at a historic black school.  Maybe they are all BLM supporters.  I doubt the support for BLM in the stands is anywhere near as monolithic as it is for the black players on the field.  I agree with the folks who have posted before.  Can we just keep politics out of it?

Coming from the whitest D1 school in America !

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill