Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Pro Gun Crowd co-opts "Sanctuary City" idea, but for guns.

Open with an anecdote next time.

FAIL!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

But to the point of the OP - this isn't new. In my previous profession, I worked in a small mountain community where the Sheriff made some national news by publicly saying he wouldn't enforce any new federal restrictions on gun. That was like 8 years ago.

I have no problem with it. We've seen the same thing with drug laws. It's federalism. If a federal law is more important to the feds than the state and/or local jurisdiction, it is not the responsibility of the local or state jurisdiction to enforce it. 

I just hope gun nut cons who fume about immigration sanctuaries don't cry when Prez AOC  cuts funding to red states for refusing to enforce federal gun laws 10 years from now.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Lefty is known quantity in this debate. I'd say he knows about as much as firearms as I do about soccer, but even I know what 'nil nil draw' means. Compare that to lefty and his "assault rifle" knowledge....

The Patriot movement deserves just as much criticism though. They comply with all the oppression and are just as much to blame

Private men and women (no contact with govt) don't need permission from any govt to practice 2A right anymore than they need permission for 1A.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

But to the point of the OP - this isn't new. In my previous profession, I worked in a small mountain community where the Sheriff made some national news by publicly saying he wouldn't enforce any new federal restrictions on gun. That was like 8 years ago.

I have no problem with it. We've seen the same thing with drug laws. It's federalism. If a federal law is more important to the feds than the state and/or local jurisdiction, it is not the responsibility of the local or state jurisdiction to enforce it. 

I just hope gun nut cons who fume about immigration sanctuaries don't cry when Prez AOC  cuts funding to red states for refusing to enforce federal gun laws 10 years from now.

C'mon man!  Are trying to make me not sleep well?

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

4 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

C'mon man!  Are trying to make me not sleep well?

On further thought, maybe this is not so scary.  The way the Democrat party is going, she will probably be considered a moderate in 10 years.  :crying:

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Wikipedia / Webster's Dictionary defines a Sactuary City as:

Sanctuary city (French: ville sanctuaire; Spanish: ciudad santuario) refers to municipal jurisdictions, typically in North America, that limit their cooperation with the national government's effort to enforce immigration law. Leaders of sanctuary cities say they want to reduce fear of deportation and possible family break-up among people who are in the country illegally, so that such people will be more willing to report crimes, use health and social services, and enroll their children in school. In the United States, municipal policies include prohibiting police or city employees from questioning people about their immigration status and refusing requests by national immigration authorities to detain people beyond their release date, if they were jailed for breaking local law.[1] Such policies can be set expressly in law (de jure) or observed in practice (de facto), but the designation "sanctuary city" does not have a precise legal definition. The Federation for American Immigration Reform estimated in 2018 that 564 U.S. jurisdictions, including states and municipalities, had adopted sanctuary policies.[2][

(Trying to start this term paper off right.... leading with the dictionary definition of a Sanctuary City)

@SJSUMFA2013

@smltwnrckr

Well, it looks the gun nuts ( @sean327 ), love the idea, and are now co-opting it for their pro-gun agenda.   Sanctuary Counties / Cities, where they will allow the sale of any and all guns, without a permit, and without restriction.  First in Virginia, now a headline out of a county in Oregon.   We can only imagine what will happen when Idaho figures this out...

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2020/08/30/clatsop-county-voters-decide-second-amendment-sanctuary-status/5671168002/

Idaho already has statewide 2A sanctuary laws in place and the tiny little town of Star became the first official 2A sanctuary city in Idaho.

6 hours ago, sean327 said:

Are you a founding member of the California Psychic Network? GTFOH! No one can predict the future. Using your logic, we should prosecute every car salesman that sell a vehicle to anyone who causes an accident involving a fatality. Come on man, you’re smarter than this.

Sadly I don’t think he is..... :rolleyes: