Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Worst yet, Trump Supporter executed walking down street in Portland

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Oh, no doubt. I was just pointing out that "soup" has openly admitted he enjoys being an "asshole". Just wondered why.

Personally, I feel bad when I step over the line and can't remember how many times I started to post something but then thought better of it.

I enjoy being an asshole like a mfer.

33 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

Despite @SDSUfans questionable rhetoric sometimes his takes on things are quite illuminating and thought provoking.

he's a very smart guy and a capable debater, no doubt, however sometimes the the words he uses are a little too hateful for my taste, however I think I have noticed times where he's gone past the edge, realized it, and came back to having a more productive tone. Like most of us do.  

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Quite a lot of people on this board, and even more in the real world slandered the hell out of Obama.  His wife too.  In fact, a poster called Michelle a guy the other week.  No one is immune from being called things, especially if they are caustic and combative themselves.  People shouldn't say negative things to anyone, doesn't matter if it is the president, the mayor, your neighbor, the police, anyone.  But if someone is being a vocally toxic person, well that is going to happen more frequently than people who are not as toxic.  I don't think Trump deserves all of the shit he gets, but to say that people shouldn't badmouth a president while he is being, well, him, is pretty one-sided.  And given the previous president's hate him and his family received, hypocritical.  But that is typical nowadays.

Fair point.  How about the people who repeatedly called Biden a pedophile.  Calling someone a POS seems quite tame by comparison.   Unfortunately, that is the state of the discourse today.   The opponents are not just those with whom I have policy differences, they are evil people leading to the ruin of the country.  What you see on this board is far more polite and less extreme than the words you saw being spoken during the RNC.   

but I agree we all need to maintain a degree of civility towards each other.   

1 hour ago, ridgeview2 said:

Damn, that's some fires of Babylon level smack right there. 

HST didn't +++++ around. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Sorry, but the civil discourse re: talking about presidents is dumb Edit: unnecessary  I agree we should be more civil to each other. But more people need to treat presidents (all presidents, not just Trump) in the public discourse like these guys did. 

I mean, hell... these came from obituaries!

On Nixon:

I have had my own bloody relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.
He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.
That was Nixon's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds.
If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.
These are harsh words for a man only recently canonized by President Clinton and my old friend George McGovern -- but I have written worse things about Nixon, many times, and the record will show that I kicked him repeatedly long before he went down. I beat him like a mad dog with mange every time I got a chance, and I am proud of it. He was scum.

The whole thing here - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

It will be interesting what is said about Trump in his obits.

Just now, sactowndog said:

Probably a lot of mild language that calls him controversial or something. There just isn't a HS Thompson or HL Mencken in the media today who is respected but also who doesn't buy in to this nonsense about "respecting the presidency" or something. Can you think of one?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Probably a lot of mild language that calls him controversial or something. There just isn't a HS Thompson or HL Mencken in the media today who is respected but also who doesn't buy in to this nonsense about "respecting the presidency" or something. Can you think of one?

There are more than a few never Trumpers that might well write something as strong if not stronger.  

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

There are more than a few never Trumpers that might well write something as strong if not stronger.  

No one we wills till be reading and quoting 50 or 100 years from now.

52 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Maybe just a simple "Fewf!".

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

This guy is very good: https://www.latimes.com/people/jonah-goldberg

Never makes fun of Trump like the Lincoln Project guys but he's just as forthcoming about calling out Republican Party leaders for whoring themselves out to him.

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

This guy is very good: https://www.latimes.com/people/jonah-goldberg

Never makes fun of Trump like the Lincoln Project guys but he's just as forthcoming about calling out Republican Party leaders for whoring themselves out to him.

Goldberg is fine, and has remained one of the honest and consistent conservatives through the Trump era. But he has too much reverence for authority (whether that be moral authority or traditional authority or the state itself) to be a modern version of Thompson or Mencken. 

7 hours ago, toonkee said:

I'm going to defend Soup here because we're all guilty of this. Sometimes we needle each other or get frustrated and lash out and then later realize we did not act like our best selves and try to come back to the board a little more earnest. I know I do this.

Agree

110926run_defense710.jpg

Just now, IanforHeisman said:

Even though this man was a Nazi white supremacist, he didn’t deserve to die the way he did. I hope they find the person that did this. 

821BB11F-2DE0-4394-86E0-DCAA499D81EF.jpeg

Ian, whatever bubble you’re in, step out. This wasn’t the man that died.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Don’t people ever think about how they want the same leader as every white supremacy group in America.. 

You're speaking in hyperbole. The New Black Panthers endorsed Obama and Biden. So what? Who cares? Most reasonable people in this world recognize that that means nothing.