Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Worst yet, Trump Supporter executed walking down street in Portland

1 hour ago, Los_Aztecas said:

While I agree that there is a certain level of civil discourse that should be maintained President Trump does not meet that mark himself. He invites that kind of language because that is how he expresses himself.

Except the issue is civil discourse on this board and whether it has gotten out of hand and should be shut down. From your comment I assume you feel anything goes if someone invites a derogatory response. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Except the issue is civil discourse on this board and whether it has gotten out of hand and should be shut down. From your comment I assume you feel anything goes if someone invites a derogatory response. 

I don't feel that way at all, I was just trying to clarify the issue that you raised about President Trump. It is difficult to expect respect and civility if you do not give it. I do believe mutual respect and and civility is important and would lead to greater exchange of both ideas and help us work together.

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

You're right but so is @Los_Aztecas. Trump cannot be so crude, divisive and inciteful and then call foul once he gets what he gives. 

Sorry, but the civil discourse re: talking about presidents is dumb Edit: unnecessary  I agree we should be more civil to each other. But more people need to treat presidents (all presidents, not just Trump) in the public discourse like these guys did. 

I mean, hell... these came from obituaries!

On Nixon:

I have had my own bloody relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.
He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.
That was Nixon's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds.
If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.
These are harsh words for a man only recently canonized by President Clinton and my old friend George McGovern -- but I have written worse things about Nixon, many times, and the record will show that I kicked him repeatedly long before he went down. I beat him like a mad dog with mange every time I got a chance, and I am proud of it. He was scum.

The whole thing here - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

On Willian Jennings Bryan:

This talk of sincerity, I confess, fatigues me. If the fellow was sincere, then so was P. T. Barnum.
The word is disgraced and degraded by such uses. He was, in fact, a charlatan, a mountebank, a
zany without sense or dignity. His career brought him into contact with the first men of his time;
he preferred the company of rustic ignoramuses. It was hard to believe, watching him in Dayton,
that he had traveled, that he had been received in civilized societies, that he had been a high
officer of state. He seemed only a poor clod like those around him, deluded by a childish
theology, full of an almost pathological hatred of all learning, all human dignity, all beauty, all
fine and noble things. He was a peasant come home to the barnyard. Imagine a gentleman, and
you have imagined everything that he was not. What animated him from end to end of his
grotesque career was simply ambition - the ambition of a common man to get his hand upon the
collar of his superiors, or failing that, to get his thumb into their eyes. He was born with a roaring
voice, and it had the trick of inflaming half-wits. His whole career was devoted to raising those
half-wits against their betters, that he himself might shine.

The whole thing here - https://history.msu.edu/hst203/files/2011/02/Mencken-In-Memoriam-WJB.pdf?mod=article_inline

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I have no idea since, to repeat, I almost never ventured onto this forum when Obama was president because I was generally fine with what he did. Since you obviously didn't fully understand my point, it is that if you have been generally fine with Trump, what reason do you have for being on this forum day after day?

Quite a lot of people on this board, and even more in the real world slandered the hell out of Obama.  His wife too.  In fact, a poster called Michelle a guy the other week.  No one is immune from being called things, especially if they are caustic and combative themselves.  People shouldn't say negative things to anyone, doesn't matter if it is the president, the mayor, your neighbor, the police, anyone.  But if someone is being a vocally toxic person, well that is going to happen more frequently than people who are not as toxic.  I don't think Trump deserves all of the shit he gets, but to say that people shouldn't badmouth a president while he is being, well, him, is pretty one-sided.  And given the previous president's hate him and his family received, hypocritical.  But that is typical nowadays.

35 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

21 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Sorry, but the civil discourse re: talking about presidents is dumb Edit: unnecessary  I agree we should be more civil to each other. But more people need to treat presidents (all presidents, not just Trump) in the public discourse like these guys did. 

On Nixon:

I have had my own bloody relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.
He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.
That was Nixon's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds.
If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.
These are harsh words for a man only recently canonized by President Clinton and my old friend George McGovern -- but I have written worse things about Nixon, many times, and the record will show that I kicked him repeatedly long before he went down. I beat him like a mad dog with mange every time I got a chance, and I am proud of it. He was scum.

The whole thing here - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

This talk of sincerity, I confess, fatigues me. If the fellow was sincere, then so was P. T. Barnum.
The word is disgraced and degraded by such uses. He was, in fact, a charlatan, a mountebank, a
zany without sense or dignity. His career brought him into contact with the first men of his time;
he preferred the company of rustic ignoramuses. It was hard to believe, watching him in Dayton,
that he had traveled, that he had been received in civilized societies, that he had been a high
officer of state. He seemed only a poor clod like those around him, deluded by a childish
theology, full of an almost pathological hatred of all learning, all human dignity, all beauty, all
fine and noble things. He was a peasant come home to the barnyard. Imagine a gentleman, and
you have imagined everything that he was not. What animated him from end to end of his
grotesque career was simply ambition - the ambition of a common man to get his hand upon the
collar of his superiors, or failing that, to get his thumb into their eyes. He was born with a roaring
voice, and it had the trick of inflaming half-wits. His whole career was devoted to raising those

The whole thing here - https://history.msu.edu/hst203/files/2011/02/Mencken-In-Memoriam-WJB.pdf?mod=article_inline

Exactly. Let's treat each other with civility but until our elected politicians become regular posters here in MWC boardland, they are not afforded the same courtesies.

8 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Quite a lot of people on this board, and even more in the real world slandered the hell out of Obama.  His wife too.  In fact, a poster called Michelle a guy the other week.  No one is immune from being called things, especially if they are caustic and combative themselves.  People shouldn't say negative things to anyone, doesn't matter if it is the president, the mayor, your neighbor, the police, anyone.  But if someone is being a vocally toxic person, well that is going to happen more frequently than people who are not as toxic.  I don't think Trump deserves all of the shit he gets, but to say that people shouldn't badmouth a president while he is being, well, him, is pretty one-sided.  And given the previous president's hate him and his family received, hypocritical.  But that is typical nowadays.

24 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

On Nixon:

So in other words why is Mugtang getting his panties in a wad over inflammatory discourse on this board? 

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

One of the great things about this country is that we have the right to say disparaging things about our president. I wasn't a fan of people talking about Obama (I don't think I'd call it slander) and I'm not a fan of it now. It neither surprises me nor offends me when people do it, but I just find it to be a reflection on those doing it as much as those being criticized. I found Obama to be likable enough, though I didn't like a lot of his policies and I think his willingness to be a peacekeeper resulted in him being walked on at times. Trump, on the other hand, is a egotistical boor, but I don't disagree with a lot of his policies. In the end, I can't stop anyone from disparaging the president even if I wanted to, so I just try to conduct myself in a manner that is appropriate for me.

One thing that I wish would stop, however is the absolute vitriol that is spewed at anyone who voted for Trump. It goes way beyond disagreeing with their politics and is often just pure hatred. There is a spectrum of people who voted for Trump that range from loving him to just voting for him because they didn't like the alternative. And it is possible to support Trump based on policy alone and out of respect for the office (even if he has little to none) without liking the guy. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So in other words why is Mugtang getting his panties in a wad over inflammatory discourse on this board? 

Because we haven't all been acting civilly toward one another.

You have even admitted on several occasions that you enjoy being an "asshole". Why? Does it make you feel better?

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don't think he should care if someone calls a politician a sh*tbird or an a$$wipe. I think it's different if we are treating each other like enemies and getting nasty. It's his board, he gets to decide. And I think he's done a good job of balancing our abilities to self-police and his interests in preventing this from turning into 8chan or whatever. 

Though I think the board's vibe is reflecting the vibe in the country right now, and I think that among that vibe is still a pretty consistent attempt on the part of posters here to reel it back after things feel like they're getting a little out of control. Pandemic, schools closed, economic recession/depression, divisive presidential election, social unrest, armed factions clashing on the streets over political differences with a body count (even it if still rare). We're all in a dark place right now, even if we disagree on who's fault it is. Discourse will reflect that, in every space. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Because we haven't all been acting civilly toward one another.

You have even admitted on several occasions that you enjoy being an "asshole". Why? Does it make you feel better?

I'm going to defend Soup here because we're all guilty of this. Sometimes we needle each other or get frustrated and lash out and then later realize we did not act like our best selves and try to come back to the board a little more earnest. I know I do this.

28 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm going to defend Soup here because we're all guilty of this. Sometimes we needle each other or get frustrated and lash out and then later realize we did not act like our best selves and try to come back to the board a little more earnest. I know I do this.

Oh, no doubt. I was just pointing out that "soup" has openly admitted he enjoys being an "asshole". Just wondered why.

Personally, I feel bad when I step over the line and can't remember how many times I started to post something but then thought better of it.

56 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

One of the great things about this country is that we have the right to say disparaging things about our president. I wasn't a fan of people talking about Obama (I don't think I'd call it slander) and I'm not a fan of it now. It neither surprises me nor offends me when people do it, but I just find it to be a reflection on those doing it as much as those being criticized. I found Obama to be likable enough, though I didn't like a lot of his policies and I think his willingness to be a peacekeeper resulted in him being walked on at times. Trump, on the other hand, is a egotistical boor, but I don't disagree with a lot of his policies. In the end, I can't stop anyone from disparaging the president even if I wanted to, so I just try to conduct myself in a manner that is appropriate for me.

One thing that I wish would stop, however is the absolute vitriol that is spewed at anyone who voted for Trump. It goes way beyond disagreeing with their politics and is often just pure hatred. There is a spectrum of people who voted for Trump that range from loving him to just voting for him because they didn't like the alternative. And it is possible to support Trump based on policy alone and out of respect for the office (even if he has little to none) without liking the guy. 

No disagreement on what you are saying.  Polarization has eliminated healthy dialogue between people for a number of people/groups.  Which is crazy as for many of us, our opinions are not so different, case and point police brutality and unions, which many think can be better.  But man is that a crazy battleground where you are either a bootlicker or a terrorist, no middle ground of sanity.  A sad state of affairs that positions so close lead to this much lunacy and crime.

Even people who I disagree with bring a lot to this board IMO, I've definitely taken a step back to look at other sides of issues.  I feel posters that are further left/right are more toxic to the other side predictably.

The only posters who bring nothing to the board/discussion are Nevada Convert cuz... Yeah. And SDSUfan who believes anyone who isn't on his side is less than human.

7 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Even people who I disagree with bring a lot to this board IMO, I've definitely taken a step back to look at other sides of issues.  I feel posters that are further left/right are more toxic to the other side predictably.

The only posters who bring nothing to the board/discussion are Nevada Convert cuz... Yeah. And SDSUfan who believes anyone who isn't on his side is less than human.

Convert trolls Fresno posters on the sports board. There's always value in that. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Agreed. I'll add that for a number of months, probably at least a year, I've made a concerted effort not to call other posters names. I also wouldn't call Trump a POS to his face or before the media for that matter out of respect for the office he holds. However, other than that he deserves the title because he is a vile person who is - at best - an embarrassment to our great country and will go down in history as such.

51 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Despite @SDSUfans questionable rhetoric sometimes his takes on things are quite illuminating and thought provoking.

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

On Nixon:

Damn, that's some fires of Babylon level smack right there. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg