Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

OK, I Signed Up Again With SlingTV...

20 hours ago, sean327 said:

I pay $69 a month for their best package. You get 500 hours of DVR space regardless of package. We don’t record much so it works great for us. Their on demand library isn’t bad , but I rarely use it because I also have Amazon Prime. My only complaint is local channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox come out of Phoenix instead of Yuma.

7 hours ago, SFtoVA said:

I just cancelled my TV and signed up with YouTube... I was debating between YouTube and Sling, but went with YouTube for the cloud DVR which seems to work pretty well, three simultaneous streams, and the local channels. I can still see in the future putting in a OTA HD antenna, but at least that's not urgent right now. Watched all of Boston/Tampa Bay last night and AVs/Stars just to make sure there wasn't any picture quality issues, honestly couldn't tell a difference. The only issue I know right now is that one "smart TV" isn't smart enough to have the youtube TV app, but I think I can fix that with a FireStick. My wife is a big Chelsea fan, so EPL via NBC sports was another win.

So far, the only real difference I've noticed was the live TV was about 30-45 seconds behind true time.

This is my first venture into the cable cutting, so it'll be interesting... This is on a 100/100 Verizon FIOS connection. If I find something that I don't like, no contract, just switch. Seems pretty awesome so far. That said, just cut TV bill in half, so that's probably worth it right there. Only thing I don't have right now is HBO, but I can always get that later if we want.

If either of you go with an OTA antenna, you can get pretty effective DVR functionality out of Tablo.  I already had an attic antenna and Roku devices.  I got the Tablo Quad (four tuners) and put a SATA hard drive into it that I had lying around.  They have since made available a Quad that comes equipped with a 1 TB hard drive.  The program guide subscription is either monthly ($5), annual ($50), or lifetime ($150).  For an added fee of $2 monthly or $20 annually, you also get an automatic commercial skip feature.  I liked the feature when it was in beta testing, but not enough to pay for it.

https://www.tablotv.com/products/

https://www.tablotv.com/tv-guide-data-subscriptions/

5 hours ago, azgreg said:

Anybody here try Vidgo?

Nope.  It has no DVR capability, which means I have no interest.  I watch sports/TV on my time.

SlingTV does offer cloud DVR as an add on service to the Blue ir orange package for an extra $5 a month.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 9/2/2020 at 12:01 AM, LoboMan59 said:

SlingTV does offer cloud DVR as an add on service to the Blue ir orange package for an extra $5 a month.

The base package includes 10 hours of cloud DVR space.  We just tried it for a month, and the DVR on the base package didn't work nearly as well as I had hoped.  Most programs it recorded just fine.  But I specifically set it to record the Jazz-Nuggets playoff games, and it didn't actually record them.  Also, it didn't give me the option to record just a particular team's games, it would select all NBA games, instead.  With only 10 hours of recordings, that wasn't going to work for me.

The $5 add-on package only adds 40 hours of recording to the base package (50 hours total).  The description on their website also says that it adds the ability to protect particular shows, but I don't see any other added features.  Compared to YouTube's unlimited DVR, 50 hours doesn't seem like much.  With YouTube last season, I just set every game to record, not at all worried about running out of space.  And I never had to worry about clearing out watched programs to make room for new recordings.

Have any of you Sling users had any problems with the DVR?  I'm going to sign up for something on Monday to catch the BYU-Navy game.  Based on my experience with Sling so far, I'll likely opt for YouTube TV again, in spite of the higher price.

I guess i must be an odd duck, cause this is the second time ive had sling and ive never used the dvr feature. I dont think i used it when i had youtubetv either? I do remember using it for tv shows when i had directv.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 9/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, LoboMan59 said:

I guess i must be an odd duck, cause this is the second time ive had sling and ive never used the dvr feature. I dont think i used it when i had youtubetv either? I do remember using it for tv shows when i had directv.

You must love watching commercials.

1 hour ago, karatechop97 said:

Even Sling Orange+Blue doesn't get you CBS Sports, right?  So you'd have to add the sports package on top of that I believe.

What I'm thinking of doing here shortly, is drop Sling blue, and adding the sport package. But need to find out if the sport package has FS1 and NBCSN. Orange has three espn channels.

EDIT: The Sling package ($10 month), offers the following from the site... I'd lose FS1 and NBSN... and isn't that where most MWC football and basketball games will be televised, per the new TV contract?

"NBA TV, SEC Network, SEC Network+, Pac-12, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, NHL Network, beIN SPORTS, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Stadium, Outside Television, Motorsport TV Sling TV is Live TV Only Better. Customize your channel lineup with Sports Extra. More football, baseball, basketball & hockey coverage on ESPNU, ESPNEWS, SEC network, NHL network & NBA TV. Plus Outside TV, and soccer on beIN Sports."

2 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

What I'm thinking of doing here shortly, is drop Sling blue, and adding the sport package. But need to find out if the sport package has FS1 and NBCSN. Orange has three espn channels

Looks like the sports package has NBCSN, FS1, and FS2.

People, not a fan.

1 hour ago, azgreg said:

It doesn't look like it.

https://www.sling.com/channels

Correct, blue, orange, nd the sports package, do NOT offer CBSSN.

I've been looking at switching from Sling TV to FuboTV myself recently. I wouldn't have the WarnerMedia channels they dropped like TNT and CNN, but I guess I don't really need them. I mostly watch BBC News anyways. It might be a problem once March Madness rolls around again though.

I  will be signing up with YouTubeTV again next month.  Even tho they raised their monthly rate to $65 (from $55 last year I think).  With YouTubeTV you get all of the ESPN channels and both of the Fox Sports channels and CBSN.  PLUS you get unlimited DVR recording at no extra charge.  Whereas the other streaming channels that offer all of those channels charge you $10 more for a LIMITED DVR.