Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

OK, I Signed Up Again With SlingTV...

So, i wasn't going to sign up for any streaming tv service until the football season started. And even though its not quite the start we wanted, at least college football is back on, and next weekend’s matchups should be much better, and going forward! Signed up for SlingTV Orange&Blue ($45+taxes), so i should get alot of Sports programming this fall. 
Anyone else decide to sign back up for their favorite streaming service? I‘m watching espn for the first time since last fall. I was thinking about getting YouTubeTV, but they jacked their prices up to $65+ taxes. SlingTV is a good and better value I thought... anyone else here start uP again?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

22 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

So, i wasn't going to sign up for any streaming tv service until the football season started. And even though its not quite the start we wanted, at least college football is back on, and next weekend’s matchups should be much better, and going forward! Signed up for SlingTV Orange&Blue ($45+taxes), so i should get alot of Sports programming this fall. 
Anyone else decide to sign back up for their favorite streaming service? I‘m watching espn for the first time since last fall. I was thinking about getting YouTubeTV, but they jacked their prices up to $65+ taxes. SlingTV is a good and better value I thought... anyone else here start uP again?

YouTube TV is still a lot cheaper then Dish and directTV. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

41 minutes ago, Blue voodoo said:

Youtube tv 65 dollars how much are people paying for internet?

I dropped Comcast cable at $110 and went with at the time, cheaper satellite, but when I finally dropped DirectTV, I was paying $130/mth. When I first got YouTubeTV, I had it for $50 a month, so a they've had a $15 buck jump since I dropped it. I've got SlingTV Blue&Orange, for $45 a month, with taxes, about $49.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

9 hours ago, Blue voodoo said:

Youtube tv 65 dollars how much are people paying for internet?

$50. But you can mirror from your phone if you have a smart TV and by pass the WiFi. The quality is so much better than a couple of years ago. It’s nearly as good a satellite even better during a storm. 

8 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I dropped Comcast cable at $110 and went with at the time, cheaper satellite, but when I finally dropped DirectTV, I was paying $130/mth. When I first got YouTubeTV, I had it for $50 a month, so a they've had a $15 buck jump since I dropped it. I've got SlingTV Blue&Orange, for $45 a month, with taxes, about $49.

I got every sport channel needed except BYUtv. Does sling have everything. 

For BYU fans I can’t start a game late on BYUtv. I have to wait until the game is over. I just record it in YouTubeTV and can start whenever for the other sports channels. Unfortunately YouTube doesn’t have BYUtv. Sucks for basketball. 

1 hour ago, robe said:

For BYU fans I can’t start a game late on BYUtv. I have to wait until the game is over. I just record it in YouTubeTV and can start whenever for the other sports channels. Unfortunately YouTube doesn’t have BYUtv. Sucks for basketball. 

I don’t know if its a regional thing or not, but my Sling subscription does not carry byutv. I basic google search came up with a link to the cougarboard, a topic about sling and byutv+?

https://www.sling.com Sling blue is more newsy but carry’s FS1, NBCSN, Stadium. Sling Orange carrys the espn channels (except espnu). Ill fine tune my choices as the season gets going, may drop and switch as things change... but what i like most of all is NO YEARLY CONTRACTS! Month to month and can cancel at any time, i like that!

5 hours ago, robe said:

Isn't there a specific BYUtv app?  If you have a smart tv or a roku or something like that you should be able to get it.

I have Hulu Live TV - pretty good coverage for $55 per month. $45 per month for CenturyLink internet (12 MBPS) which does just fine streaming on multiple devices.

Unrelated - but I also switched Verizon for Cricket last year - wish I would have done that years ago. Cut monthly payment in half and got more data.  No difference in coverage even in rural montana and idaho.

I was one of the first to give Hulu Live a try.  Price started at like $30/month and saw steady increases.  Dropped Hulu Live in April when sports went away and haven’t looked back.  OTA antenna and Amazon Prime have provided plenty of entertainment.  With no MWC football, can’t see getting any service this year.  

8 hours ago, robe said:

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Isn't there a specific BYUtv app?  If you have a smart tv or a roku or something like that you should be able to get it.

I have Hulu Live TV - pretty good coverage for $55 per month. $45 per month for CenturyLink internet (12 MBPS) which does just fine streaming on multiple devices.

Unrelated - but I also switched Verizon for Cricket last year - wish I would have done that years ago. Cut monthly payment in half and got more data.  No difference in coverage even in rural montana and idaho.

Yes, BYUtv has a dedicated app on most streaming players.  On my Roku, I can generally get the HD feed with DVR-like controls.

I went with Fubo Tv last year and I love it. They added ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, and SEC Network on Aug 1st, so I have everything I need for sports. I’m saving $60 a month after dropping DirecTv. I’m never going back to cable or satellite. 

5 hours ago, Pelado said:

Yes, BYUtv has a dedicated app on most streaming players.  On my Roku, I can generally get the HD feed with DVR-like controls.

You can start mid game on the app. You can’t on the website. It takes you live. It’s great if you watch it a day latter. 

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

I went with Fubo Tv last year and I love it. They added ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ACC Network, and SEC Network on Aug 1st, so I have everything I need for sports. I’m saving $60 a month after dropping DirecTv. I’m never going back to cable or satellite. 

Cost and how is the DVR and on demand content?

1 hour ago, robe said:

Cost and how is the DVR and on demand content?

I pay $69 a month for their best package. You get 500 hours of DVR space regardless of package. We don’t record much so it works great for us. Their on demand library isn’t bad , but I rarely use it because I also have Amazon Prime. My only complaint is local channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox come out of Phoenix instead of Yuma.

I just cancelled my TV and signed up with YouTube... I was debating between YouTube and Sling, but went with YouTube for the cloud DVR which seems to work pretty well, three simultaneous streams, and the local channels. I can still see in the future putting in a OTA HD antenna, but at least that's not urgent right now. Watched all of Boston/Tampa Bay last night and AVs/Stars just to make sure there wasn't any picture quality issues, honestly couldn't tell a difference. The only issue I know right now is that one "smart TV" isn't smart enough to have the youtube TV app, but I think I can fix that with a FireStick. My wife is a big Chelsea fan, so EPL via NBC sports was another win.

So far, the only real difference I've noticed was the live TV was about 30-45 seconds behind true time.

This is my first venture into the cable cutting, so it'll be interesting... This is on a 100/100 Verizon FIOS connection. If I find something that I don't like, no contract, just switch. Seems pretty awesome so far. That said, just cut TV bill in half, so that's probably worth it right there. Only thing I don't have right now is HBO, but I can always get that later if we want.