Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

B1G Reportedly considering playing this Fall (Oct 10).

Guest #1Stunner

Quitter's Remorse in the B1G.

Looks like they might change their mind and decide that the virus isn't that deadly after all

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like they might change their mind and decide that the virus isn't that deadly after all

the continued dysfunction in the B1G is puzzling. I thought they were more together than that?

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Del Scorcho said:

the continued dysfunction in the B1G is puzzling. I thought they were more together than that?

Looks like the all of the talk about health concerns, and irreversible heart damage was just PR and spin...

They apparently don't really believe it..

If they start up again, could leave the PAC12 and the MWC as the only conferences not playing this fall. 

They are looking at the possibility of starting after Thanksgiving, in domed facilities (Minneapolis, Detroit, Indy).  Might get logistically complicated doing that, though, since all 3 are NFL stadiums.  Feldman's tweet is...misleading.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I suppose everything is relative,  but as of today we are at 178,998 dead with 4 months still left in the year.  The next comment are how many are athletes.  Break it down any way you want,  by age, gender, ethnicity.  To say it's not that deadly is an interesting way of looking at it.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

Weren’t they supposedly targeting December 31st? So, moving their season up 2 weeks would technically be “moving it to the fall”. Doesn’t seem like a huge course change, but reactionary narratives gonna reactionary narrative. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like the all of the talk about health concerns, and irreversible heart damage was just PR and spin...

If they start up again, could leave the PAC12 and the MWC as the only conferences not playing this fall. 

Thanksgiving day is still 3 months away.  If things get worse, the B1G can still push back to winter/spring.  I wouldn't call that spin. Do you really doubt the possible health concerns of this virus?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29759687/thanksgiving-weekend-start-option-big-ten-football

The Big Ten is discussing Thanksgiving weekend as one of several options to start its football season, sources tell ESPN.

An early January start with an eight- or nine-game schedule at indoor venues has generated the most discussion so far, but pushing the season kickoff to around Thanksgiving also is under consideration.

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

They are looking at the possibility of starting after Thanksgiving, in domed facilities (Minneapolis, Detroit, Indy).  Might get logistically complicated doing that, though, since all 3 are NFL stadiums.  Feldman's tweet is...misleading.

All things considered, the best time to start would probably be the weekend before or of Thanksgiving. It would allow them to get most of their season in while most students are home for the holidays, cutting down on the partying that comes along with football season and football players. 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Thanksgiving day is still 3 months away.  If things get worse, the B1G can still push back to winter/spring.  I wouldn't call that spin. Do you really doubt the possible health concerns of this virus?

I don't doubt the health concerns of the virus, except that I do doubt the narrative that evreryone that gets the virus is going to have heart damage.  That seems like hysteria and not supported by any facts.   The only people I've heard pushing that narrative are PAC12 fans... I haven't heard any health experts pushing this.

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

All things considered, the best time to start would probably be the weekend before or of Thanksgiving. It would allow them to get most of their season in while most students are home for the holidays, cutting down on the partying that comes along with football season and football players. 

As I said, the logistics are a problem.  For instance, all 3 NFL teams are home Thanksgiving weekend.  Detroit is a little easier, since they play on Thursday.  But you are looking at playing 2 to 3 games each weekend at one of those.  Come January, it becomes easier.  Aint like the Lions are making the playoffs....

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Weren’t they supposedly targeting December 31st? So, moving their season up 2 weeks would technically be “moving it to the fall”. Doesn’t seem like a huge course change, but reactionary narratives gonna reactionary narrative. 

There are now only 2 weeks between November 26 and December 31?

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't doubt the health concerns of the virus, except that I do doubt the narrative that evreryone that gets the virus is going to have heart damage.  That seems like hysteria and not supported by any facts.   The only people I've heard pushing that narrative are PAC12 fans... I haven't heard any health experts pushing this.

Good thing nobody's saying that, huh...

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RSF said:

As I said, the logistics are a problem.  For instance, all 3 NFL teams are home Thanksgiving weekend.  Detroit is a little easier, since they play on Thursday.  But you are looking at playing 2 to 3 games each weekend at one of those.  Come January, it becomes easier.  Aint like the Lions are making the playoffs....

Looks like some Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games are in order. 

Not like it will matter, as fans will not be attending. 

Guest #1Stunner

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

Good thing nobody's saying that, huh...

wrong donald trump GIF by Election 2016

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/18/21373844/utah-coronavirus-263-new-cases-5-more-deaths-doctors-report-heart-disease-covid19-connection

Large proportion of COVID-19 cases could have heart damage after infection, cardiologist says

n Intermountain Healthcare cardiologist on Tuesday estimated a large proportion of COVID-19 cases — including those who didn’t require hospitalization — could experience heart damage from the virus.

“Before reviewing some of the recent studies, I would’ve said maybe 10% have evidence of heart damage. But I think we’re going to elevate that estimate in the short term to maybe, my guess, 30-50%,” said Dr. Kirk Knowlton, director of cardiovascular research at Intermountain Healthcare and chairman of Intermountain Medical Center’s cardiovascular department.

Kirk U. Knowlton, MD

Professional Titles

• Director of Cardiovascular Research
  • Associate Chief of Cardiology
  • Chair, American Heart Association, Peer Review Subcommittee
  • Member, American Heart Association Research Committee
  • Adjunct Professor, University of Utah
  • Professor, University of California San Diego

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Looks like some Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games are in order. 

Not like it will matter, as fans will not be attending. 

FOX wont be available on Thursday or Friday, as much as they might like some primetime B10 games.  That will be a consideration.

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It was always about limiting future lawsuits/risk exposure. 

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/8/18/21373844/utah-coronavirus-263-new-cases-5-more-deaths-doctors-report-heart-disease-covid19-connection

Large proportion of COVID-19 cases could have heart damage after infection, cardiologist says

n Intermountain Healthcare cardiologist on Tuesday estimated a large proportion of COVID-19 cases — including those who didn’t require hospitalization — could experience heart damage from the virus.

“Before reviewing some of the recent studies, I would’ve said maybe 10% have evidence of heart damage. But I think we’re going to elevate that estimate in the short term to maybe, my guess, 30-50%,” said Dr. Kirk Knowlton, director of cardiovascular research at Intermountain Healthcare and chairman of Intermountain Medical Center’s cardiovascular department.

Which is not 'everybody', which is what you hyperbolically stated.  Not even close.  And I thought you said medical experts weren't 'pushing' this?

if you are in your 50's+ you are more likely to have damage than not iirc...but of course people in those age ranges aren't amateur athletes. 

As others have said. they aren't changing course. they are trying to figure out the best time to begin the season. January or Thanksgiving. SOunds completely reasonable. Thanksgiving is far enough out that they can get a better feeling on how to get the seaon going but also enough time to push things farther out if they determine it isn't safe. Good for them. I hope the MW is looking at doing something similar.