Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Lakers & clippers boycotting the playoffs

It's nice symbolism for a group of priviledged, widely worshipped, multi millionaire sports icons to sit out a few games or a season. It's not comparable to Tommie Smith at the Olympics. It's the easy thing to do. Why not get the professional leagues and athletes together and start micro lending to start community businesses, improve child care and educational opportunities for the people trapped in poverty. Things that would actually improve the lives of the disenfranchised. I bet they could leverage the leagues and media companies to put up hundreds of millions towards this purpose.

26 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

It's nice symbolism for a group of priviledged, widely worshipped, multi millionaire sports icons to sit out a few games or a season. It's not comparable to Tommie Smith at the Olympics. It's the easy thing to do. Why not get the professional leagues and athletes together and start micro lending to start community businesses, improve child care and educational opportunities for the people trapped in poverty. Things that would actually improve the lives of the disenfranchised. I bet they could leverage the leagues and media companies to put up hundreds of millions towards this purpose.

Are you sure they don’t? Great idea IMO.

Here’s a topic for discussion... that sorta ties into the platform famous athletes have and how they should use it or not.

Where would the black community be in this country without entertainment (sports, music)? Better, worse? Pretty interesting subject IMO. 

56 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

25 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Are you sure they don’t? Great idea IMO.

Here’s a topic for discussion... that sorta ties into the platform famous athletes have and how they should use it or not.

Where would the black community be in this country without entertainment (sports, music)? Better, worse? Pretty interesting subject IMO. 

Hey @UNLV2001, posting Tweets is beyond my skill set.

Can you please post the LeBron Tweet regarding polling places which you posted yesterday?

Thanks

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

the continued death, division and discrimination in our society needs to be addressed, if a black athlete determines that striking sends a message who am I to question this?  These guys have leverage that very few have and are wielding it. If it eventually leads to better outcomes, then its the right thing to do.

As a white guy its arrogant for me to question something I really have no frame of reference for.

Sorry, but your last statement is a very stupid statement.

Or course, whites, asians, blacks, latinos, etc can have an opinion on something that impacts and affects everyone, and how to solve it.  This is everyone's country, and the idea that you cannot be a stakeholder based on race is stupid.

Human beings are not some sort of different species, living an different consciousness and existence, simply because some of us have different skin color.

You don't have to experience every bad thing on the earth, to recognize that something is bad, and to have an opinion about it...

Did you not ever notice that WHITE PEOPLE marched in the civil rights movements (even though they were not black, and didn't experience Jim Crow Laws)?  Was it "arrogant" of them to do so, since they had "no frame of reference" on how it felt to be personally discriminated against?  NO.

What about human trafficking?  Are you suggesting that if you haven't been a victim of human trafficking that you cannot have an opinion on it?   That applies to all sorts of topics.

1140-martin-luther-king-civil-rights-sto

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Do you mean like this packalum? 

And past systemic racism is the primary reason so many POC are "trapped in poverty".

6 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Politics in sports is ruining the sports world.  It’s turning off the fans in droves.

For some, this goes WAY beyond politics. It’s about basic human rights.

As a white man, I personally have never experienced racism, but I have black friends, who are highly educated and contributing members of society, who have. I applaud the movement in the NBA and find it very admirable. I don’t applaud the opportunists who are creating havoc, however. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry, but your last statement is a very stupid statement.

Or course, whites, asians, blacks, latinos, etc can have an opinion on something that impacts and affects everyone, and how to solve it.  This is everyone's country, and the idea that you cannot be a stakeholder based on race is stupid.

Human beings are not some sort of different species, living an different consciousness and existence, simply because some of us have different skin color.

You don't have to experience every bad thing on the earth, to recognize that something is bad, and to have an opinion about it...

Did you not ever notice that WHITE PEOPLE marched in the civil rights movements (even though they were not black, and didn't experience Jim Crow Laws)?  Was it "arrogant" of them to do so, since they had "no frame of reference" on how it felt to be personally discriminated against?  NO.

What about human trafficking?  Are you suggesting that if you haven't been a victim of human trafficking that you cannot have an opinion on it?   That applies to all sorts of topics.

1140-martin-luther-king-civil-rights-sto

I respectfully disagree.

I think your naive to the discrimination that is especially unique to black people. I know I am, and I freely admit it.  I've never been pulled over by a police officer and been asked if this is my car. I've never been pulled over simply because of the color of my skin.  I've never been in a predominately white neighborhood and had the police called on my, simply because I looked out of place. That happens daily in this country. I have no idea what that feels like and neither do Asians or other races. No doubt other ethnicities have different challenges that are unique to them. Having an opinion on these issues doesn't come close to experiencing the injustice that they feel. 

You're trying to insinuate that we are all think similarly and share these experiences equally. Its simply not true. Just as you and I are uniquely experienced in dealing with a somewhat fringe religion (from a world view).  

Did you see the clip of Dominic Smith from yesterday. Tell me any white guy has any clue what that feels like in regards to color of skin?

10 minutes ago, babigos said:

For some, this goes WAY beyond politics. It’s about basic human rights.

As a white man, I personally have never experienced racism, but I have black friends, who are highly educated and contributing members of society, who have. I applaud the movement in the NBA and find it very admirable. I don’t applaud the opportunists who are creating havoc, however. 

:cheers:...in spite of your ugly avatar!

Guest #1Stunner

I respectfully disagree.

I think your naive to the discrimination that is especially unique to black people. I know I am, and I freely admit it.  I've never been pulled over by a police officer and been asked if this is my car. I've never been pulled over simply because of the color of my skin.  I've never been in a predominately white neighborhood and had the police called on my, simply because I looked out of place. That happens daily in this country. I have no idea what that feels like and neither do Asians or other races. No doubt other ethnicities have different challenges that are unique to them. Having an opinion on these issues doesn't come close to experiencing the injustice that they feel. 

You're trying to insinuate that we are all think similarly and share these experiences equally. Its simply not true. Just as you and I are uniquely experienced in dealing with a somewhat fringe religion (from a world view).  

Did you see the clip of Dominic Smith from yesterday. Tell me any white guy has any clue what that feels like?

So, your conclusion is if you've never personally experienced something, then you aren't allowed to have an opinion on it, correct?

Following your logic:

You've never been pregnant, so you shouldn't have an opinion on abortion ..... It is a topic something only women can understand, and therefore have an opinion on.  Why would you understand it?

You have never been a polygamist, so you aren't qualified to have any opinions on the criminal actions of the polygs in Southern Utah...how would you know anything about them, since you haven't lived it?  Let them continue to marry 12 year old girls, right?

You're not a billionaire, so you don't get to have an opinion on whether we should tax billionaires...you don't know what their experience is.  Why set tax policy on people that aren't you?

You haven't served in the military, so you shouldn't have an opinion on wars....

This goes on and on...

Sorry, White people, Asian people, and Latino people get to have an opinion on how our country responds to a race incident involving a black person.  Black people get to have opinions on white people.  Your assertion that white people, latino people and asian people can't grasp racism is not reality...MLK never believed that (look who he marched with).

And this idea that you can't understand something that you haven't personally experienced is shallow. 

There is a concept called empathy.  I'm willing to bet you have opinions on all sorts of topics on which you have zero experience...

People in this nation have the right, in fact the responsibily to protest wrongs. I thought the NBA had it right with the saying on the backs of the uniforms, also the court marked with Black Lives matter. As a vet. I was not supportive of kneeing for the anthem, but that is their right to do so.

I'm old I have grand kids that are not white, and have seen how some people treat them it bothers me more than it does them, but it is nasty, and dumb to judge based on skin color. say they would never do  that, but they do.

3 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Easy to speak up when others are doing it. Quite different to expect them to put their money where their mouth is. I agree with you, btw

6 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

Easy to speak up when others are doing it. Quite different to expect them to put their money where their mouth is. I agree with you, btw

Except many, including LeBron and Colin Kaepernick are doing just that.

I respectfully disagree.

Did you see the clip of Dominic Smith from yesterday. Tell me any white guy has any clue what that feels like in regards to color of skin?

As usual, Stunner is trying to be a jackass.. I get your point.. White people are born with built in privileges that other races just don't have in this country. That's not to say white people haven't been discriminated against or mis-treated. But if we could get clear %'s of true discrimination for race, it's a no contest. There's a reason why HMDA laws were passed in lending..

This has nothing to do with multiple races standing together for or against a cause. Or having an opinion on a matter.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

So, your conclusion is if you've never personally experienced something, then you aren't allowed to have an opinion on it, correct?

Following your logic:

You've never been pregnant, so you shouldn't have an opinion on abortion ..... It is a topic something only women can understand, and therefore have an opinion on.  Why would you understand it?

You have never been a polygamist, so you aren't qualified to have any opinions on the criminal actions of the polygs in Southern Utah...how would you know anything about them, since you haven't lived it?  Let them continue to marry 12 year old girls, right?

You're not a billionaire, so you don't get to have an opinion on whether we should tax billionaires...you don't know what their experience is.  Why set tax policy on people that aren't you?

You haven't served in the military, so you shouldn't have an opinion on wars....

This goes on and on...

Sorry, White people, Asian people, and Latino people get to have an opinion on how our country responds to a race incident involving a black person.  Black people get to have opinions on white people.  Your assertion that white people, latino people and asian people can't grasp racism is not reality...MLK never believed that (look who he marched with).

And this idea that you can't understand something that you haven't personally experienced is shallow. 

There is a concept called empathy.  I'm willing to bet you have opinions on all sorts of topics that with which you have zero experience...

isn't this what essentially sums up a large problem with our country. We have people making decisions based on their often inaccurate biased assumptions/opinions.

Here is just one example, the Utah liquor board is made up of primarily religious people, 99% of whom don't drink. How ridiculous is that? Their opinions are not based in reality. We all value Mormons opinions on responsible drinking, right? And yet they are the ones enacting legislation for all Utahns.

Do we want a bunch of old white males as Senators and Congressman making decisions about female healthcare? And yet it happens often with some embarrassing disastrous results. 

You can have uneducated opinions flying out your ass but what good are they if they're only slightly based in reality?