Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Lakers & clippers boycotting the playoffs

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

isn't this what essentially sums up a large problem with our country. We have people making decisions based on their often inaccurate biased assumptions/opinions.

Here is just one example, the Utah liquor board is made up of primarily religious people, 99% of whom don't drink. How ridiculous is that? Their opinions are not based in reality. We all value Mormons opinions on responsible drinking, right? And yet they are the ones enacting legislation for all Utahns.

Do we want a bunch of old white males as Senators and Congressman making decisions about female healthcare?

You can have uneducated opinions flying out your ass but what good are they if they're only slightly based in reality? 

Nice analogy.

An ironic :cheers: to you!

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

isn't this what essentially sums up a large problem with our country. We have people making decisions based on their often inaccurate biased assumptions/opinions.

Here is just one example, the Utah liquor board is made up of primarily religious people, 99% of whom don't drink. How ridiculous is that? Their opinions are not based in reality. We all value Mormons opinions on responsible drinking, right? And yet they are the ones enacting legislation for all Utahns.

I know you are LDS and I appreciate you being fair on this topic.. It's a huge deal for me and others like me.. You could take it one step further. An ultra conservative clown from Utah County created and helped pass the new DUI laws in this state.. A law that is completely ridiculous. I don't think anyone would campaign for people to be irresponsible when drinking and driving but there has to be realism when creating laws that represent all parties.. The % of LDS is continually going down in this state, yet 90% of the decision makers are hard core LDS...

17 hours ago, fbpack said:

Crazy the NBA is done for the year 

Yes but all the social justice awareness that will come from their brave sacrifice will expedite racial harmony and put an end to police brutality.

Either that, or even more people will just stop watching the NBA even after they do come back.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
29 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Do we want a bunch of old white males as Senators and Congressman making decisions about female healthcare? And yet it happens often with some embarrassing disastrous results. 

You can have uneducated opinions flying out your ass but what good are they if they're only slightly based in reality? 

First, off, your example does not refute my point.  Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assertion that white people are unable to mentally comprehend racism.   MLK also did not believe your position.

Second, the only problem with your statement is it is (1) factually incorrect, and (2) a non-sequitur. 

Utah's (arcane) alcohol laws have nothing to do with your assertion that people are incapable of understanding things that they haven't personally experienced... Utah's alcohol laws reflect the will of the population (we live in a representative democracy).  If the population didn't like the laws, they'd elect new representatives that would change them.   Apparently, the population wants restricted sales???

The advisory board, that influences the policy, is the actual industry... 

ADVISORY BOARD

Representing Member Name Appointment Term
Retail Alcohol Industry Zane Holmquist - Stein Erikson July 1 2019 - June 30 2023
Wholesaler Industry Brett Birt - Golden Beverage July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Manufacturing Industry Rob Sergent - Alpine Distilling Oct 29 2019 - June 30 2023
Restaurant Industry Fred Boutwell - Gastronomy July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Utah Substance Use and Mental Health Advisory Council Elizabeth F Klc Statute Appointment
Alcohol or Drug Related Enforcement Chief Brian Redd, DPS/SBI July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Doug Thomas Statute Apointment
Alcohol or Drug Abuse Prevention and Education Logan Reid  

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Utah's alcohol laws reflect the will of the population (we live in a representative democracy).  If the population didn't like the laws, they'd elect new representatives that would change them.   Apparently, the population wants restricted sales???

LOL.. You are a moron.. Just because the LDS church is dug in like ticks in the state's politics and has been for centuries, doesn't mean "the population" is wanting these laws..

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/01/05/utah-sees-latter-day/

20 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

First, off, your example does not refute my point.  Sorry, but I completely disagree with your assertion that white people are unable to mentally comprehend racism.   MLK also did not believe your position.

I once mentioned to my wife in mixed company that one of her pregnancy's was smooth sailing, and hinted that I essentially understood what being pregnant and delivering a baby was like. And she was like:

tenor.gif

as I recall, later that night I was prepping the couch for the night.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Yes but all the social justice awareness that will come from their brave sacrifice will expedite racial harmony and put an end to police brutality.

Either that, or even more people will just stop watching the NBA even after they do come back.

This sounds like your Kaep comments. Cut and paste! 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Second, the only problem with your statement is it is (1) factually incorrect, and (2) a non-sequitur. 

Utah's (arcane) alcohol laws have nothing to do with your assertion that people are incapable of understanding things that they haven't personally experienced... Utah's alcohol laws reflect the will of the population (we live in a representative democracy).  If the population didn't like the laws, they'd elect new representatives that would change them.   Apparently, the population wants restricted sales???

The advisory board, that influences the policy, is the actual industry... 

ADVISORY BOARD

Representing Member Name Appointment Term
Retail Alcohol Industry Zane Holmquist - Stein Erikson July 1 2019 - June 30 2023
Wholesaler Industry Brett Birt - Golden Beverage July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Manufacturing Industry Rob Sergent - Alpine Distilling Oct 29 2019 - June 30 2023
Restaurant Industry Fred Boutwell - Gastronomy July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Utah Substance Use and Mental Health Advisory Council Elizabeth F Klc Statute Appointment
Alcohol or Drug Related Enforcement Chief Brian Redd, DPS/SBI July 1 2017 - June 30 2021
Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Doug Thomas Statute Apointment
Alcohol or Drug Abuse Prevention and Education Logan Reid  

I would pay money to watch a white Latter Day Saint from predominantly white Utah stand up and talk about all that ills POC. 

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I would pay money to watch a white Latter Day Saint from predominantly white Utah stand up and talk about all that ills POC. 

How much would you pay?

How soon can you send me the money?

Here you go:

Ben McAdams
Ben McAdams, official portrait, 116th Congress.jpg

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Utah's 4th district
Assumed office
January 3, 2019
Preceded by Mia Love
Mayor of Salt Lake County
In office
January 7, 2013 – January 2, 2019
Deputy Nichole Dunn
Preceded by Peter Corroon
Succeeded by Jenny Wilson
Member of the Utah State Senate
from the 2nd district
In office
December 19, 2009 – November 13, 2012
Preceded by Scott McCoy
Succeeded by Jim Dabakis
Personal details
Born
Benjamin Michael McAdams

December 5, 1974 (age 45)
West Bountiful, Utah, U.S.
Political party Democratic
Spouse(s) Julie McAdams
Children 4
Education University of Utah (BA)
Columbia University (JD)
Website House website

Benjamin Michael McAdams (born December 5, 1974) is an American politician and attorney serving as the U.S. Representative from Utah's 4th congressional district since 2019. He is the only Democratic member of Utah's congressional delegation, and a member of the Blue Dog Coalition. From 2013 to 2019 he served as mayor of Salt Lake County, and from 2009 to 2012, he was the Utah state senator from the 2nd district, which includes Salt Lake City, South Salt Lake, and a portion of West Valley.[1] McAdams was elected to Congress in 2018, narrowly defeating two-term Republican incumbent Mia Love.[2][3]

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

It's nice symbolism for a group of priviledged, widely worshipped, multi millionaire sports icons to sit out a few games or a season. It's not comparable to Tommie Smith at the Olympics. It's the easy thing to do. Why not get the professional leagues and athletes together and start micro lending to start community businesses, improve child care and educational opportunities for the people trapped in poverty. Things that would actually improve the lives of the disenfranchised. I bet they could leverage the leagues and media companies to put up hundreds of millions towards this purpose.

They won't.   They will set up charities, like the James foundation, in which they only give a tiny fraction of their worth and only so their overall brand becomes more valuable.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

Except many, including LeBron and Colin Kaepernick are doing just that.

Lebron has made two large donations of 2.5 million each and has donated time to causes, and profits from certain events, like "The decision.".  For a man worth half a billion, that would put him right in line with many of the billionaires people hate, like the Koch brothers.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Oh, you are watching.

Nah, saw a picture in the sports page. If the NBA never played again it wouldn’t bother me. I stopped watching the NBA and NFL long ago. The athletes are so good and teams all play the same offenses and defenses,  it became boring. Plus they coast through the regular season and don’t actually give it 100% until the playoffs. I spot watch a game or two here or there. I will watch the Super Bowl. 

College sports are a lot more exciting and unpredictable.