Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Lakers & clippers boycotting the playoffs

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

I applaud the NBA players for using their leverage for a cause that is bigger than themselves.

I hope the season is cancelled.  One thing Covid has shown is that sports are not really needed.  Those guys are paid way to much.  This is a good thing  

Disappointed for sure, but if this is what they want then so be it.  Do what ya gotta do :coffeecomputer:

I respect their decision.

I think it is a power play by the LA teams. It gives them bargaining power. Will the NBA cancel the playoffs? maybe. Will JUST the LA teams drop out? I HIGHLY doubt that. If push comes to shove and the other 12 remaining playoff teams wise to carry on with the playoffs I am almost certain the LA teams will join them. 

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

Politics in sports is ruining the sports world.  It’s turning off the fans in droves.

Of course. I mean they have the right to do it but it turn a lot of people off. I treat athletes just like I treat anyone else. When I go to my mechanic I ask "is this person a good mechanic", doctor appt "is this person a good doctor",  "is this person a good actor", ect ect ect. Unless you are my family/friend I could care less about your personal beliefs/politics. Are you good at whatever thing I am paying you/investing time in you for. And this is true for EVERYTHING. I mean I am not going to invest more time/money in a person if I "like" their political/personal beliefs or invest less if I "dislike" their political/personal beliefs. I base it on the actual service/product (ie in the form of NBA entertainment, mechanic car repair, ect).

If I want to watch politics I go to a political station not ESPN.

Guest #1Stunner
10 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I applaud the NBA players for using their leverage for a cause that is bigger than themselves.

The NFL and MLB could follow 

What will their strike accomplish?

The silly thing is that neither the owners or the league have the power to meet their demands (what exactly is their demand?)

Is it their hope that their strike will put pressure on the State legislatures to defund police departments?  Why would a State legislature decide to pass laws in response to NBA players?

NBA, NFL and to a lesser extent MLB players... along with actors/musicians drive the cultural direction and dialogue in our country. This board only exists because of them. They are sending a message to every kid in this country that it’s okay to speak up, it’s ok to protest. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

What will their strike accomplish?

The silly thing is that neither the owners or the league have the power to meet their demands (what exactly is their demand?)

Is it their hope that their strike will put pressure on the State legislatures to defund police departments?  Why would a State legislature decide to pass laws in response to NBA players?

what did this act accomplish?

John_Carlos,_Tommie_Smith,_Peter_Norman_

and yet it is one of the most memorable pictures in all of sports. 

if a strike has even a 10% chance at making real change.  Who would have thought Rosa Parks refusing to sit at the back of the bus would spark change, and yet it did.

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

what did this act accomplish?

John_Carlos,_Tommie_Smith,_Peter_Norman_

and yet it is one of the most memorable pictures in all of sports. 

if a strike has even a 10% chance at making real change.  Who would have thought Rosa Parks refusing to sit at the back of the bus would spark change, and yet it did.

I don't think the picture you posted of 3 athletes giving the Black Power salute accomplished anything, or led to new legislation.

In fact, weren't they at odds with MLK?

The Black Power slogan was also criticized by Martin Luther King Jr., who stated that the black power movement "connotates black supremacy and an anti-white feeling that does not or should not prevail."[75] The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) also disapproved of Black Power, particularly Roy Wilkins, then the NAACP's executive director, who stated that Black Power was "a reverse Hitler, a reverse Ku Klux Klan...the father of hate and mother of violence."[11] The Black Power slogan was also met with opposition from the leadership of SCLC and the Urban League.[10]

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't think the picture you posted of 3 athletes giving the Black Power salute accomplished anything, or led to new legislation.

The Black Power slogan was also criticized by Martin Luther King Jr., who stated that the black power movement "connotates black supremacy and an anti-white feeling that does not or should not prevail."[75] The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) also disapproved of Black Power, particularly Roy Wilkins, then the NAACP's executive director, who stated that Black Power was "a reverse Hitler, a reverse Ku Klux Klan...the father of hate and mother of violence."[11] The Black Power slogan was also met with opposition from the leadership of SCLC and the Urban League.[10]

Yet 50+ years later we all know about it? That move took some serious balls.

Random... I read and article recently about protests in the 60s. One thing that jumped out at me was that polls taken about the work MLK was doing in that decade reveled that less than 25 percent of people in the US agreed with the protests or movement and agreed they were necessary. So long story... entire segments of the population had no voice in those days. It’s crazy to me how far today’s narrative has come in the last FOUR years. Pro leagues boycotting, commissioners groveling, players being blatantly political with messaging on uniforms, when in 2015 it was Kaepernick and a few others. I think athletes are starting to recognize that there is power in numbers and they are why people watch. 

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

the continued death, division and discrimination in our society needs to be addressed, if a black athlete determines that striking sends a message who am I to question this?  These guys have leverage that very few have and are wielding it. If it eventually leads to better outcomes, then its the right thing to do.

As a white guy its arrogant for me to question something I really have no frame of reference for.

While disappointed that the season may be over, I applaud the NBA and its athletes for taking a stand for what they believe is right. I look forward to tuning back in once games resume. 

4 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Politics in sports is ruining the sports world.  It’s turning off the fans in droves.

Politics have always been part of the sports world. Jessie Owens, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, John Carlos and Tommie Smith, Billie Jean King, Arthur Ashe, Colin Kaepernick, and many more are all part of a fabric of young, outspoken athletes who have used their platform as a means to bring attention to issues they care about. And whenever these athletes have spoken up, a certain subset of sports fans have argued that politics have ruined sports. Yet, the games go on generation after generation, and eventually those people who argued that they were done with sports come back, if they ever leave at all. Many convince themselves that they were supportive of those athletes all along, celebrating the legacies of athletes like Robinson and Ali as those who did it the right way (whatever that means).

At any rate, I think Americans should use whatever platform they have to affect whatever change they see as necessary. Even if it is just arguing for or against a particular cause on a message board. So long as they can make the case without violence, I will support their right to do so.