Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NBA teams protest

23 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I’m guessing you’re an older guy who has a problem with.... a league that is more than 70 percent black and appeals to young people, today’s culture, music, apparel, etc?

Do you honestly think that the NBA hasn’t looked at their players, and the leagues  demographics and determined that old people are it’s past? Why would you think the NBA cares about the past?

No, I think they care, because like Jordan said Republicans buy shoes too.

But rather than trade insults with you I'll direct you to someone who is more well spoken on the matter than I am.

https://www.outkick.com/if-you-want-to-empower-the-blm-cult-boycott-the-nba-bubble/

24 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

No, I think they care, because like Jordan said Republicans buy shoes too.

But rather than trade insults with you I'll direct you to someone who is more well spoken on the matter than I am.

https://www.outkick.com/if-you-want-to-empower-the-blm-cult-boycott-the-nba-bubble/

I didn’t insult you. I simply tried to point out they don’t care about people like you. They care about the 15-35 demographic. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA#Viewership_demographics

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I didn’t insult you. I simply tried to point out they don’t care about people like you. They care about the 15-35 demographic. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA#Viewership_demographics

They care about tv revenue first and foremost. Those big contracts with Disney/ABC/ESPN and Turner are the golden goose. You know who doesn’t subscribe to tv through cable or satellite? The zoomers, and increasingly the millennials. Sure they can recoup crumbs off YouTube clips, but the people that pay the freight to carry those contracts remain older. Not to mention the zoomers prospects of living on their own are likely to mirror the millennials during the recession. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, sactowndog said:

1) Have a list of legal changes you want.  
2) Lay out the changes you want implemented

3) set a clear and reasonable time line for completion or consequences

state and mean the consequences if not accepted:

1) no player will resign with Milwaukee 

2) no player from Wisconsin or Marquette will be allowed in the NBA

3) we will be asking our NFL brethren to do the same

Its not doing nothing... it’s having an actual plan which means something with real consequences. 

This whole thing is hilarious. Since the owners were trying to get some revenue to play games, it’s given the players some leverage in this strange year. But the players are delusional if they think they’re going to have any leverage next year and into the future. Allowing players to call the shots, strike anytime they want and bring bullshit politics into the game is a death sentence.

Most people see sports as an escape from daily life, news, politics, work, etc. and don’t care about player politics. The same applies to bands that preach their politics to fans who mostly could give a shit. Shut The Fvck Up and Play is common response from a crowd during preaching. If bands canceled shows on a whim due to protests, they would lose fans quickly and would go from playing arenas to theaters quickly. 

A while back there was a baseball strike and the players were demanding a lot of ridiculous things. The season was canceled and the perception of the players by many many fans was they were spoiled lazy divas that already make incredible money. The next year attendance was horrid, and it took a decade or so to recover it because fans were so pissed. Now if a strike occurs over politics, that’ll make the heads of many fans explode. Back in the early 90’s, the owners dealt with the NFL player strike by playing the best non-striking players and do a regular season. The football was still great to watch, and it gave the owners leverage to end the strike. The NBA should do the same thing.

kat.jpg

53 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

This whole thing is hilarious. Since the owners were trying to get some revenue to play games,

Pretty sure the players are just as invested in that tv money. They take a pretty huge payout next year if the playoffs don't finish. Plus risk a possible lookout. Millionaires with a shorters career (players) and just if not more interested in revenue as billionaires with long careers (owners).

I mean Lebron can keep living like a king if the NBA never pays him another dime but that is not the case for most players. And there are also far to many players (just like people in normal jobs) that live check to check. So a big pay cut will cause many financial hardship. I know they are making millions and millions but any income level can have financial hardship if you overspend or have a sudden decrease in cash flow. 

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

This whole thing is hilarious. Since the owners were trying to get some revenue to play games, it’s given the players some leverage in this strange year. But the players are delusional if they think they’re going to have any leverage next year and into the future. Allowing players to call the shots, strike anytime they want and bring bullshit politics into the game is a death sentence.

Most people see sports as an escape from daily life, news, politics, work, etc. and don’t care about player politics. The same applies to bands that preach their politics to fans who mostly could give a shit. Shut The Fvck Up and Play is common response from a crowd during preaching. If bands canceled shows on a whim due to protests, they would lose fans quickly and would go from playing arenas to theaters quickly. 

A while back there was a baseball strike and the players were demanding a lot of ridiculous things. The season was canceled and the perception of the players by many many fans was they were spoiled lazy divas that already make incredible money. The next year attendance was horrid, and it took a decade or so to recover it because fans were so pissed. Now if a strike occurs over politics, that’ll make the heads of many fans explode. Back in the early 90’s, the owners dealt with the NFL player strike by playing the best non-striking players and do a regular season. The football was still great to watch, and it gave the owners leverage to end the strike. The NBA should do the same thing.

You are clueless if you don’t think basketball players have tons of leverage.  How much do you think Real Madrid would pay to have LeBron James?