Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NBA teams protest

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The difference is that this kid and Zimmerman got to live out the LARP fantasy.

I think dismissing this as LARP is inappropriate.

"Blue Lives" people are looking for excuses to cross the line into violent action.

I attended a Black Lives Matter rally in a place where it probably didn't belong (courthouse in a remote county of less than 20,000 people, and 97 percent white) and the protestors were completely surrounded by townsfolk with guns. If those protestors would have done any vandalism, it likely would have sparked some violence.

8 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think dismissing this as LARP is inappropriate.

"Blue Lives" people are looking for excuses to cross the line into violent action.

I attended a Black Lives Matter rally in a place where it probably didn't belong (courthouse in a remote county of less than 20,000 people, and 97 percent white) and the protestors were completely surrounded by townsfolk with guns. If those protestors would have done any vandalism, it likely would have sparked some violence.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dismissing it. I'm saying that people who engage in this bullshit are dangerous because they feel it necessary to engage with their +++++ing idiotic fantasies. 

In any normal year the string of unarmed black men being killed would be THE story. Or California’s fire season. Or these hurricanes. Or this election. Or impeachment (remember that?). But these all happened this year and are all taking back seats to the story of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Just insane. 

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I respect the players trying to do something.  But they should have waited until the facts are known.  The media, and the public who believes the media BS, often judge an event and place blame before the facts are even known.  The Michael Brown case serves as an example of a rush to judgement. 

With that said,  I don't see why Jacob was shot.  Perhaps it will be judged the cop acted reasonably, perhaps not. None of us know all of the details of the event.  

It’s the medias fault! Back to square 1. 

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The boycott is so stupid.  They NBA can’t do anything about this. It would be like me boycotting UNLV because Steve Sisolak mandated masks.

You have no influence. Zip.
They do. Whether you want to admit it or not. 

36 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

You have no influence. Zip.
They do. Whether you want to admit it or not. 

They do but this approach doesn’t help......

Here is an example of a law I would like to see....

I would like to see a clear legal requirement for cops to shoot someone in the back.   Is it justified in some cases?  Yes absolutely for some escaping dangerous felons but that should be for the legal system to decide not a cop on the street.   Otherwise shooting someone in the back should be immediate 2nd degree murder.   

the guy shot wasn’t an angle, but we have to stop the police from being judge, jury and executioner in general cases.

https://lakecountygazette.com/stories/549300062-jacob-blake-man-shot-in-kenosha-had-long-history-with-lake-county-law-enforcement

As of this moment absolutely nothing has by sacrificed by the players other than staying in the bubble a couple more days. I mean I am guessing they will postpone the games for thursday also and then just resume as normal after that (ie wed game 5's will be played on Friday, thurs games 6's played on Sat). 

Now if someone decides to actual sacrifice something, ie a Lakers or Bucks or Clippers team refusing to participate in the rest of the playoffs, a rotation player on a contenter refusing to play, the cancel the 2020 playoffs, ect it will be a different story.

And don't get me wrong I am not saying the players SHOULD actual sacrifice anything. An NBA career is short for most and championship windows are shorter. On a personal level I have never made any huge sacrifices (ie equivalent to a contending NBA team giving up a chance at a NBA championship) so I don't pretend like others should. Just saying at this moment nothing has actually be sacrificed. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

I would like to see a clear legal requirement for cops to shoot someone in the back.   Is it justified in some cases?  Yes absolutely for some escaping dangerous felons but that should be for the legal system to decide not a cop on the street.   Otherwise shooting someone in the back should be immediate 2nd degree murder.   

the guy shot wasn’t an angle, but we have to stop the police from being judge, jury and executioner in general cases.

https://lakecountygazette.com/stories/549300062-jacob-blake-man-shot-in-kenosha-had-long-history-with-lake-county-law-enforcement

It's possible the cop walks.  He just has to show he had a reasonable fear that Jacob was getting into his car to retrieve a weapon.  Supposedly, a yell to "put down the knife" was heard but we still haven't heard if a knife was ever found.

Jacob also has a history of violence and a pending rape charge.  He could have been known to the cops as a violent offender. 

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach on this one. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Not sure if you saw the video on a different thread of two cops that stopped a dude. He got out of the car and went to the front of the car. He then came back reached into the car with the cops watching, pulled out a gun and shot both cops dead.

Watch the video of Blake entering the car. It appears he is bending over not in the normal way you would get in a car erect and putting your feet in first, but bent over like he was reaching for something. The cop tries to pull him back by the shirt but he breaks away. My guess is the cop thought he was reaching for a gun and opened fire. Or, the cop shot the dude dead for no reason other than he was black. 

There will be a thorough investigation to get to the bottom of what happened. Let the investigation proceed and see where it goes

12 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Not sure if you saw the video on a different thread of two cops that stopped a dude. He got out of the car and went to the front of the car. He then came back reached into the car with the cops watching, pulled out a gun and shot both cops dead.

Watch the video of Blake entering the car. It appears he is bending over not in the normal way you would get in a car erect and putting your feet in first, but bent over like he was reaching for something. The cop tries to pull him back by the shirt but he breaks away. My guess is the cop thought he was reaching for a gun and opened fire. Or, the cop shot the dude dead for no reason other than he was black. 

There will be a thorough investigation to get to the bottom of what happened. Let the investigation proceed and see where it goes

One of the issues is that the only people who will trust an investigation are those who agree with its conclusions.

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

And just think... Kaep was booted from the NFL for kneeling. Goodell now spends his free time opining about how “wrong he was” so that history doesn’t make him look more stupid.  Let’s see how far the bar has moved in a few years. 

Not enough to get Kap a look apparently.

28 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's possible the cop walks.  He just has to show he had a reasonable fear that Jacob was getting into his car to retrieve a weapon.  Supposedly, a yell to "put down the knife" was heard but we still haven't heard if a knife was ever found.

Jacob also has a history of violence and a pending rape charge.  He could have been known to the cops as a violent offender. 

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach on this one. 

My issue is showing he had a “reasonable fear” shouldn’t be enough to justify shooting a guy in the back 7 times. I would also like to hear from the other cop as to why he didn’t feel Blake was enough of a threat to justify drawing his weapon also. 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

My issue is showing he had a “reasonable fear” shouldn’t be enough to justify shooting a guy in the back 7 times. I would also like to hear from the other cop as to why he didn’t feel Blake was enough of a threat to justify drawing his weapon also. 

As it turns out, Jacob had a knife on the floor of his car.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blake-had-knife-in-car-when-kenosha-cop-shot-him-wisconsin-doj8

Barack Obama

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

As it turns out, Jacob had a knife on the floor of his car.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/blake-had-knife-in-car-when-kenosha-cop-shot-him-wisconsin-doj8

I know, I had seen that report before I responded to your original post.

18 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Black guy. Previous record. A knife in the car. And there it is! And so the narrative is sewn. 

Do you have a point to make or do you just get pissed off when your new, "look at this shit" turns out differently than what you thought it would?

If a white cop shoots a black man, it has to be racism, right?

Why wait to learn the facts when you have a narrative that supports your agenda?

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Do you have a point to make or do you just get pissed off when your new, "look at this shit" turns out differently than what you thought it would?

If a white cop shoots a black man, it has to be racism, right?

Why wait to learn the facts when you have a narrative that supports your agenda?

Reality to aslowhiteguy. You act as if MY perspective is an outlier — as I watch MLB players talk about racism in this country instead of the Giants/Dodgers game.

Pretty sure I got the “agenda” thing right on this one. Just like those who supported Kaep got it right too. 

44 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I know, I had seen that report before I responded to your original post.

To the issue of "reasonable fear" being enough, it really is. It's not all that dissimilar than the standard for self defense.  You don't have to wait for someone to attack you if you have a reasonable fear an attack is  imenient. 

If Jacob was disobeying orders given by LE, moved to his car and reached for a knife, the cop will probably walk.

Barack Obama