Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NBA teams protest

26 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yeah, that would be fine with me too. If there's a cause which the players deem worthy, hell yes, that's their right. You know...Murica!

Get a grip, it's sports/entertainment. The sun will still rise in the east tomorrow morning.

There won't be sports/entertainment the way its going.  Once they lose a significant portion of viewers and sportsfans, they likely won't get them back.  And they won't get paid.  

There's only so much political crap most sports fans will put up with and if you don't think so then I guess you'll just find out eventually.  oh btw most here are here due to sports to begin with.  

2 minutes ago, pokerider said:

There won't be sports/entertainment the way its going.  Once they lose a significant portion of viewers and sportsfans, they likely won't get them back.  And they won't get paid.  

There's only so much political crap most sports fans will put up with and if you don't think so then I guess you'll just find out eventually.  oh btw most here are here due to sports to begin with.  

I don't really know what your point is but like it or not athletes have the same right as we do to express their beliefs however they see fit.

If you can no longer enjoy their athletic abilities because you're unable to separate them from their political stances, that's your problem.

Yeah, I enjoy commenting on both "sides" of this platform and don't find that I have any problem separating my enjoyment of sports from my political beliefs.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Damn I was hoping they would cancel the season. It wouldn’t have changed much. Their ratings are in the toilet. 

If you don’t watch, why do you care if the season is cancelled or not? I never understand people that rant and throw hissy fits about sports they supposedly don’t care about. I just don’t talk about sports I don’t care about because, you know, I don’t care about them.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29754265/michael-jordan-urges-owners-meeting-listening-better-talking

As the NBA continues to navigate its next steps after the extraordinary decision of the Milwaukee Bucks not to play their playoff game against the Orlando Magic on Wednesday over social justice issues, prompting the cancellation of games throughout multiple professional sports, a recognizable figure has emerged as a go-between NBA players and owners: Michael Jordan.

Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Hornets -- and the only Black majority owner in the league -- reached out to National Basketball Players Association president Chris Paul, league sources told ESPN, in advance of the owners meeting to get a better understanding of what the players hoped to achieve going forward and to offer assistance as they make their case to the NBA board of governors. Jordan also spoke with Houston Rockets star Russell Westbrookabout issues of social justice that initially left some stars advocating for the cancellation of the season.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski has since reported that the players voted to resume play.

Jordan is the GOAT. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Most people are grown ups and it doesn't bother them to have the athletes they watch have an opinion and express that opinion about something important in their lives. They are just cartoon characters to go watch out on the field. They are humans and as such they hace thuoghts and emotions and causes important to them. Most sports fans aren't going to run away from something they enjoy because "ball man said something I disagree with" and if they do, then F#$( em. Why do you and I get to spew our opinions on this site and elsewhere on social media but an athlete can't use their platform to say their mind 

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't really know what your point is but like it or not athletes have the same right as we do to express their beliefs however they see fit.....

How many of us would still employed if we walked off the job as an expression social justice protest?   Not many, if any at all.  But there have been cases of people getting fired for what they said on Face Book. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

How many of us would still employed if we walked off the job as an expression social justice protest?   Not many, if any at all.  But there have been cases of people getting fired for what they said on Face Book. 

What? Your telling me that being a professional athlete is a good job with benefits that include being able to make statements like these and protest because they have power over their employers that most don't.

Next are you going to tell me they get women easier than we can too. 

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I guess it just depends upon how easily you can be replaced.

25 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't really know what your point is but like it or not athletes have the same right as we do to express their beliefs however they see fit.

If you can no longer enjoy their athletic abilities because you're unable to separate them from their political stances, that's your problem.

Yeah, I enjoy commenting on both "sides" of this platform and don't find that I have any problem separating my enjoyment of sports from my political beliefs.

really?  so you boycotted your job this week?  I can certainly take a day off if I want but I have to use my vacation hours.   My point is sports fans in general hate teams using politics and they really hate if teams do things like boycott.  Eventually people just stop tuning in. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Why is it always the so called "conservatives" who are saying "phuck this, I'm not watching anymore!"?

I don't think that attitude is limited to one side or the other.  People just get fed up with all the premadonna, bullshit, the women getting beat up, etc.  They just quit watching altogether or just become less interested and watch less.   

Have you ever seen anything that suggests conservatives or liberals are more or less likely to be sports fans?  I have not. Perhaps I'm wrong, but sports seems to be kind of immune to political leanings. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't think it that attitude is limited to one side or the other.  People just get fed up with all the premadonna, bullshit, the women getting beat up, etc.  They just quit watching altogether or just become less interested and watch less.   

Have you ever seen anything that suggests conservatives or liberals are more or less likely to be sports fans?  I have not. Perhaps I'm wrong, but sports seems to be kind of immune to political leanings. 

well its definitely not primarily conservatives.  If some player or team or coach etc. supports the politically incorrect thing, then the liberals are quick to tell everyone to boycott and we've seen that several times.  

32 minutes ago, pokerider said:

really?  so you boycotted your job this week?  I can certainly take a day off if I want but I have to use my vacation hours.   My point is sports fans in general hate teams using politics and they really hate if teams do things like boycott.  Eventually people just stop tuning in. 

Since I'm self employed, I can do pretty much whatever I please. Like bullshit with you all day. How are you able to do the same?

I do sometimes wonder what half the posters here do for a living since they seem to spend a crazy amount of time posting. 

27 minutes ago, pokerider said:

well its definitely not primarily conservatives.  If some player or team or coach etc. supports the politically incorrect thing, then the liberals are quick to tell everyone to boycott and we've seen that several times.  

Yeah...I've never seen that happen with a sports team. And certainly never seen it in response to an athlete making a political/social statement.

57 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

True. But most of us are replaceable in our careers. You can’t replace LeBron or Giannis and expect to win. 

29 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Bye.

More tv time for Shaq and the Chuckster

I like the Jet.

I have no problem with the players striking.  None.

I have a problem with the NBA promoting BLM.  So Ive been boycotting.  Although I admit Jason Whitlock made me ponder my decision  and I did watch one game.

5 hours ago, NVGiant said:

True. But most of us are replaceable in our careers. You can’t replace LeBron or Giannis and expect to win. 

Yep.  Ask any salesman, the time to speak your mind to management is when you are crushing your numbers, not when you are behind budget.

I’m guessing you’re an older guy who has a problem with.... a league that is more than 70 percent black and appeals to young people, today’s culture, music, apparel, etc?

Do you honestly think that the NBA hasn’t looked at their players, and the leagues  demographics and determined that old people are it’s past? Why would you think the NBA cares about the past?