Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NBA teams protest

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Reality to aslowhiteguy. You act as if MY perspective is an outlier — as I watch MLB players talk about racism in this country instead of the Giants/Dodgers game.

Pretty sure I got the “agenda” thing right on this one. Just like those who supported Kaep got it right too. 

Your default posistion is to cast blame before you know the facts. All you need is white cop, black man shot, to declare  racism. 

The merits of the overall agenda you claim to support isn't an excuse for the level of intellectual laziness you consistently practice.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Your default posistion is to cast blame before you know the facts. All you need is white cop, black man shot, to cry racism.  The merits of the overall agenda you claim to support, isn't an excuse for the level of intellectual laziness you consistently practice.

You can be as intellectual as you think you are aslowhiteguy. it’s still an f’ing message board. And for the record, what better cause to support? Our cops should be held to a higher standard. Maybe our cities wouldn’t burn, and  17-year-old kids who gloriously f-up wouldn’t have grown men defending their every stupid move to support their own political narrative.

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's possible the cop walks.  He just has to show he had a reasonable fear that Jacob was getting into his car to retrieve a weapon.  Supposedly, a yell to "put down the knife" was heard but we still haven't heard if a knife was ever found.

Jacob also has a history of violence and a pending rape charge.  He could have been known to the cops as a violent offender. 

I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach on this one. 

Yeah I get all that.  It’s exactly why I want clear legal standards of what is valid to shoot someone in the back and what isn’t.  Virtually everyone of these instances is a cop shooting someone in the back.   Way to much grey area is involved in these instances and the grey needs to be wiped away.   A clear national standard needs to be in place.   

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

As of this moment absolutely nothing has by sacrificed by the players other than staying in the bubble a couple more days. I mean I am guessing they will postpone the games for thursday also and then just resume as normal after that (ie wed game 5's will be played on Friday, thurs games 6's played on Sat). 

Now if someone decides to actual sacrifice something, ie a Lakers or Bucks or Clippers team refusing to participate in the rest of the playoffs, a rotation player on a contenter refusing to play, the cancel the 2020 playoffs, ect it will be a different story.

And don't get me wrong I am not saying the players SHOULD actual sacrifice anything. An NBA career is short for most and championship windows are shorter. On a personal level I have never made any huge sacrifices (ie equivalent to a contending NBA team giving up a chance at a NBA championship) so I don't pretend like others should. Just saying at this moment nothing has actually be sacrificed. 

Well it’s been done.

To the issue of "reasonable fear" being enough, it really is. It's not all that dissimilar than the standard for self defense.  You don't have to wait for someone to attack you if you have a reasonable fear an attack is  imenient. 

If Jacob was disobeying orders given by LE, moved to his car and reached for a knife, the cop will probably walk.

No, it shouldn’t be enough for a police officer. 

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

Can someone please explain to me "systematic racism"?

It's when you get racist outcomes in a system unrelated to overt racism of people within that system. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

White silence.  Overall white apathy.

No.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

No, it shouldn’t be enough for a police officer. 

This should really be a legislative question.  Deciding what the standard should be needs to be clearer for both the cops and the blacks.   Have the national debate, draw a clear line and communicate it broadly.  Quit leaving it up to the discretion of individual cops.  It not right for anyone.   

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Your default posistion is to cast blame before you know the facts. All you need is white cop, black man shot, to declare  racism. 

The merits of the overall agenda you claim to support isn't an excuse for the level of intellectual laziness you consistently practice.

Not only that it’s dangerous as was proven last night with two guys killed and one severely wounded. 

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

This should really be a legislative question.  Deciding what the standard should be needs to be clearer for both the cops and the blacks.   Have the national debate, draw a clear line and communicate it broadly.  Quit leaving it up to the discretion of individual cops.  It not right for anyone.   

Make them follow military rules of engagement. If they want to use military grade weapons, be “thanked for the service”, do their job with this “us vs them” “it’s a war zone out here mentality” then they can play by those same rules. No more “OMG! It’s a black guy! I’m scared! His back is turned and I’m not sure he has a weapon? Better safe then sorry let’s get him before he turns around!”

Something tells me if cops knew they had to meet a higher standard before using deadly force they would do a much better job diffusing situations before it came to the point of drawing their weapons. 

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Make them follow military rules of engagement. If they want to use military grade weapons, be “thanked for the service”, do their job with this “us vs them” “it’s a war zone out here mentality” then they can play by those same rules. No more “OMG! It’s a black guy! I’m scared! His back is turned and I’m not sure he has a weapon? Better safe then sorry let’s get him before he turns around!”

Something tells me if cops knew they had to meet a higher standard before using deadly force they would do a much better job diffusing situations before it came to the point of drawing their weapons. 

It’s obvious you’ve never been in a war zone. Innocent people get killed all the time by scared and sometimes borderline psychotic or revenge minded young soldiers. Or sometimes bad intel. 

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It’s obvious you’ve never been in a war zone. Innocent people get killed all the time by scared and sometimes borderline psychotic or revenge minded young soldiers. Or sometimes bad intel. 

Dang. Have you been to war?

45 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Ok. So.... why do you disagree that police should follow military rules of engagement, exactly?  

3 hours ago, Lobonado said:

Can someone please explain to me "systematic racism"?

It's a generalized term used by people who want to blame others for their perceived lack of opportunities and racist bias from whites. It's real to an extent but not as pervasive as some want people to believe. 

But, what do I know. Half of my family is Native American. We were on the gravy train. 

One thing I  don't get. What benefit does the NBA actually get if they cancel the playoffs. I mean they will get some goodwill from some fans. But that would be offset by the bad will they get by other fans, the lost money of the players, the lost money of the owners, the lost income of other staff, the precedent that is set (ie the next time something occurs on a social level people will expect the NBA to cancel games/seasons). 

I doubt the President or the government is going to implement a law because the NBA doesn't play. The NBA can already donate to causes they see fit, advocate, and change internally to make their own bubble more just (and set an example for other companies). 

Honestly they would survive this year if they cancel the playoffs BUT if they keep doing this another basketball league will form that just focuses on actual basketball (ie the reason they make billions of dollars, and players are idolized) and put the NBA out of business.