Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Black man shot in the back by police in Wisconsin

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'm serious. Let's get Lockheed and Raytheon on this "ray stun gun" or whatever. Give them all the money they want. It's worth it.

I’m serious too. There is no such gun, whether ballistic or electric or poison dart,  that can be made that won’t result in deaths. The unsolvable problem will always be who is sanctioned to wield the weapon and when they’re allowed to employ it in doing what society tasked them to do.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Biden has you covered!  Brilliant!  

Joe Biden said that police -- if facing a threat from a person with "a knife or something" -- should be trained to “shoot ‘em in the leg instead of the heart,” 

That's dumb but my point still stands. Resisting arrest cannot be a death sentence that a cop decides under threat. That not law and order.

4 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Biden has you covered!  Brilliant!  

Joe Biden said that police -- if facing a threat from a person with "a knife or something" -- should be trained to “shoot ‘em in the leg instead of the heart,” 

Shoot them in the dick! That’ll stop them.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’m serious too. There is no such gun, whether ballistic or electric or poison dart,  that can be made that won’t result in deaths. The unsolvable problem will always be who is sanctioned to wield the weapon and when they’re allowed to employ it in doing what society tasked them to do.

I didn't say one currently exists. I can't believe it myself sometimes but there are people that are actually smarter and more imaginative than you. Maybe they can think of something to help this situation.

21 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I don’t read a solution in your post. Only more condemnation. No one is arguing that poor don’t commit more crime. The issue is cops/hillbillies shooting blacks in the back or choking them out on video. The issue is what can we do here?! 

Maybe we need to ban video!?

My solution is to get people to look at facts rather than to blindly follow the media driven narrative that blacks have a target on their backs.  In 2019 police shot and killed 1,004 people out of 375 million police interactions.   Blacks accounted for 235 of those killed but only 9 of those were unarmed.   Now 9 deaths is 9 too many but to put that in perspective about 100 people were struck by lighting in the US last year.  Unarmed blacks are 11 times more likely to be struck by lighting than they are to be killed by a cop.  The media narrative that blacks are being hunted down in the streets is divisive and plain ignorant.  

2 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

My solution is to get people to look at facts rather than to blindly follow the media driven narrative that blacks have a target on their backs.  In 2019 police shot and killed 1,004 people out of 375 million police interactions.   Blacks accounted for 235 of those killed but only 9 of those were unarmed.   Now 9 deaths is 9 too many but to put that in perspective about 100 people were struck by lighting in the US last year.  Unarmed blacks are 11 times more likely to be struck by lighting than they are to be killed by a cop.  The media narrative that blacks are being hunted down in the streets is divisive and plain ignorant.  

I appreciate that you use AND don’t think data taken from a reputable site is valid. But again, blaming the media isn’t a solution. 

19 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I shared all arrest data and your argument only makes sense if only violent crime arrests lead to shootings which is demonstrably false. 

You say my argument makes sense if "ONLY" violent crime arrests leads to shootings?  So if a single person is shot or killed in a non-violent crime all the violent crime stats are moot?  You serious Clark?  Ok, how about this, do you have any data showing a meaningful correlation between non-violent crime and police shootings?  I'll wait.  

5 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I appreciate that you use AND don’t think data taken from a reputable site is valid. But again, blaming the media isn’t a solution. 

Not trying to be difficult but what data or you talking about?  The data AztecSU responded with of total arrests by race rather than violent crimes by race?  

8 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

Not trying to be difficult but what data or you talking about?  The data AztecSU responded with of total arrests by race rather than violent crimes by race?  

lol

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/11/opinion/statistical-paradox-police-killings/

image.png.7cf00ee7b91b66493b473c795735312e.png

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/3/1261

image.png.bab06c2c2a26b982abc35bf67b85917d.png

14 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

You say my argument makes sense if "ONLY" violent crime arrests leads to shootings?  So if a single person is shot or killed in a non-violent crime all the violent crime stats are moot?  You serious Clark?  Ok, how about this, do you have any data showing a meaningful correlation between non-violent crime and police shootings?  I'll wait.  

Why do you think black people are recorded as committing more crime than others? What is the reason this is happening? Just curious. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Just now, AztecSU said:

Stop injecting actual context into this!!!!! 

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

We must find a way to detain people, even dangerous people, without killing them. We must remove the in the moment judgement. It's too much to handle. We cannot kill people because they resist arrest. 

A good and very simple starting point is don’t resist arrest. If you think you’ve been wronged, take it to court. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

A good and very simple starting point is don’t resist arrest. 

So the penalty for resisting arrest should be a summary and unilaterally-decided death sentence?

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Well it’s been shown to happen so why take that chance? 

So let me get this straight. You think that a summary and unilateral death sentence is an appropriate punishment for resisting arrest?

Just now, youngredbullfan said:

So let me get this straight. You think that a summary and unilateral death sentence is an appropriate punishment for resisting arrest?

So let me get this straight. You think that resisting arrest is going to turn out well?