Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Anybody else legally growing cannabis?

54 minutes ago, 406bleedsblue said:

When you decide to harvest, are you going to hang the entire plant, the stems that have the buds or just the buds?

Not 100% sure yet, but will most likely parse each plant into main stems. I have a drying rack (one of those multi-tiered net ones) on hand should I choose to cut up one of the plants to dry or take early cuttings to test - I would actually like to clip a test bud from Two, Three and Four, as there are bud sites that look absolutely ready on each. However, I would prefer to allow the vascular tissue to remain intact so the bud sites can draw from them as they dry and cure over the first couple days.

My concern with hanging an entire, unparsed plant would be to generate enough airflow to keep mold at bay. I've read too many threads and articles about the issue of mold appearing during the drying and curing process to treat it as a mission critical risk (hence the focus on controlling temp and RH).

As part of my experiment with One, I took two shoot stems from one of the main stems and hung them along with the two "main" stems. They seemed marginally drier when I checked them today, but that could have been my imagination.

I do plan on deseeding one of her feckless flower sites this evening and giving it a first test. I expect it to taste vegetal, but I want to start developing an association between stem dryness/rigidity and where the flower is in the curing process. Thus, I'll do the same tomorrow, and the day after that, and so on. Out of necessity, of course. :ph34r: Who said experimenting can't be fun?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

My wife did a test about a week ago on one stem that broken off. She hung it over the tub and it dried perfectly. So, we decided to do this. :shrug:

20201020_164331.jpg

thanks guys...this thread always reminds me of the time...

:hookah:.    :D

3 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

What's funny is that I don't even smoke but maybe twice a year. I only got my card so this would be legal here in Montana. 

20201020_183149.jpg

I wondered where you were located! Is that another plant, or another 'stem?'

There's no effin way I'm going to sniff your yield off my three producing plants in my minigrow. :) 

But I might be able to compete as a function of footprint... And if it's possible and convenient, post some close-up pics of that flower.

41 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

There's no effin way I'm going to sniff your yield off my three producing plants in my minigrow. :) 

But I might be able to compete as a function of footprint... And if it's possible and convenient, post some close-up pics of that flower.

My wife as she was trimming the top 

20201020_181110.jpg

44 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

A pic after hanging and we still have one more plant to finish trimming. The yield is obviously at the top of the plants, the bottoms didn't produce much. Next year, well do what you recommended on at least one plant and top it earlier to see what the yield is.

20201020_233818.jpg

19 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

Everything is in jars, in a week or so we'll see how potent it is. 

20201024_143634.jpg

Damn, that was quick. Any idea what the humidity is there? How dry was it when you jarred it? And what's the size of those mason jars?

Here, today was Day 60 of flowering, and I just stuck Two into a grow tent for the Big Sleep, a 36-48 hour nap in total darkness meant to kick start the fermentation process, with the intent of chopping on Monday. I want to get one plant hung, then I'll rinse and repeat with Three and Four on Tue-Wed next week. All will hang for 5-7 days (min) before dry trim and jar cure. 

Here were pics I took today of Two and Three, respectively:

IMG-2105-1-K.jpg

IMG-2107-1-K.jpg

10 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Damn, that was quick. Any idea what the humidity is there? How dry was it when you jarred it? And what's the size of those mason jars?

Here, today was Day 60 of flowering, and I just stuck Two into a grow tent for the Big Sleep, a 36-48 hour nap in total darkness meant to kick start the fermentation process, with the intent of chopping on Monday. I want to get one plant hung, then I'll rinse and repeat with Three and Four on Tue-Wed next week. All will hang for 5-7 days (min) before dry trim and jar cure. 

Here were pics I took today of Two and Three, respectively:

IMG-2105-1-K.jpg

IMG-2107-1-K.jpg

We had the humidity set at 55%. The Mason jars range from pints to 1 gallon. With the freezing weather we've had, she couldn't water the last few days they were still in the planter's. We think that had a lot to do with them drying so quickly. 

6 minutes ago, 406bleedsblue said:

We had the humidity set at 55%. The Mason jars range from pints to 1 gallon. With the freezing weather we've had, she couldn't water the last few days they were still in the planter's. We think that had a lot to do with them drying so quickly. 

While I'm simply passing on the wisdom I have read (with no personal anecdotal evidence from which to speak), you might want to monitor the RH inside those jars and open them up to 'burp' them a couple times a day as the biochemical conversions continue to take place. From what I've read, monitoring during this period is crucial to avoid bud rot.

And dude - please take a close-up of the flower in one of those gallon jars - one that shows trich development, etc - I want to get up-close and personal with your stash. :)

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

While I'm simply passing on the wisdom I have read (with no personal anecdotal evidence from which to speak), you might want to monitor the RH inside those jars and open them up to 'burp' them a couple times a day as the biochemical conversions continue to take place. From what I've read, monitoring during this period is crucial to avoid bud rot.

And dude - please take a close-up of the flower in one of those gallon jars - one that shows trich development, etc - I want to get up-close and personal with your stash. :)

Here ar the best pics I could get while they're in the jars, these are both of the 1 gallon jars. I appreciate the info, the wife planned on opening and moving the flowers around a few times a day.

20201025_150014.jpg

20201025_150057.jpg

Well, here goes nothing... wrapped up with the "must do's" early and set to choppin'. :)

However, I only took the top four colas off, and re-fertilized the stumpy remains and set Two out in the sun. I want to see if I can push some extra development on lower budding sites. This is my drying room of sorts - a 48"-tall mini-drying room within a drying room:

IMG-2129.jpg

You'll see a sage-looking thing hanging in front of the four branches - that's one of the secondary tops of Four that broke off the other day as I was repositioning Two and Three in the grow room. 

FIRST SMOKE REPORT

I've been able to keep it between 64-70F and the hydrometer inside the tent - set to 50.5% - is able to maintain 49% RH in the tent despite an ambient RH 4-5% lower in the room. A small, USB-powered fan gently draws air down through a chimney vent and out through a lateral vent near the bottom.

4th day of drying that broken, chunk of sage-looking top from one of Four's branches and it was perfectly dried today. I trimmed it and weighed it before throwing it into a small, glass jar to continue the curing process. 

My patience lasted approximately 42 minutes.

IMG-2135-copy.jpg

I F*CKING CRUSHED IT. :rock:

Nose: Piney diesel, with slight vegetal undertones, surely from the light cure that is still in process.

Inhale: Extremely clean - imagine filling your lungs with chilly, pure mountain air. Slight expansion once in the lungs.

Flavor: Herbal, piney, earthy flavors on the front of the palette as you take in the smoke. Deisel rises on the nasal exhale, returning to a piney, then herbal flavor on the back of the palette.

Mouthfeel: Buttery coating of the tongue on the finish that recalls Cheese strains.

Ash: Medium-gray to light-gray. The medium-gray likely indicates some presence of sugars, starches - to be expected this early in the cure - and/or residual nutrients from getting culled prematurely.

High: A near-immediate head high; very cerebral in nature. Energetic first, then euphoric - a mood elevator. A great social strain IMO that would facilitate great, smile-filled conversations around a poolside table (or post a smoke report :ph34r:). Pushing it to 3-4x what one would normally smoke, the high becomes heady, settling into a more of a couch lock character. This allows the user to modulate the character of the high. 

What's next?

The rest of Four is still in the AG, but is ready for harvest. It turns out I was off by a full week (!!) on flowering time (that's what I get for assuming what day it was as opposed to checking the LCD screen on the AG). That makes today Day 56 of flowering - the end of Week 8. When that top broke off, my EC (electrical conductivity) measured between .8-1.0 - just on the high side of what is needed to ensure the plant is using up its own nutrient stores, a critical part of finishing a grow.

I now have the EC down to +/-.4, sufficiently low to harvest. There is no noticeable new growth to speak of - I've just been stalling out to hit the lower budding sites with supplemental lights while I wait for Two's colas to be dry enough to reposition them to accommodate Four's branches in the tent.

The difference between the respective EC is that the higher EC corresponds to a higher nutrient content in the flower. The lower EC content means there will be fewer nutrients in the plant's stores when it is harvested, which translates to a smoother smoke.

So sadly, after I was so stoked on that initial sampling, everything since has been a relative disappointment.

The dry yield from Two was half what I had estimated (I was only off by a full 100% :rolleyes:), and the yield from Four was also considerably smaller than I had anticipated. I do have a second harvest from Two forthcoming, but it will only add +/- 30% to my yield.

Furthermore, every. single. sample I tried yesterday was harsh - especially when compared to that sampling earlier in the week. Each was from a lower, smaller flower site, but still nothing even remotely resembled the smoothness of what I had tasted from that one top.

I am hoping this will get corrected during the curing process; I have four jars - three of Two and one of Four - sitting with hygrometers inside each in a quasi-controlled environment.

Here's to hoping your efforts have met with relative success, @406bleedsblue.

9 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So sadly, after I was so stoked on that initial sampling, everything since has been a relative disappointment.

The dry yield from Two was half what I had estimated (I was only off by a full 100% :rolleyes:), and the yield from Four was also considerably smaller than I had anticipated. I do have a second harvest from Two forthcoming, but it will only add +/- 30% to my yield.

Furthermore, every. single. sample I tried yesterday was harsh - especially when compared to that sampling earlier in the week. Each was from a lower, smaller flower site, but still nothing even remotely resembled the smoothness of what I had tasted from that one top.

I am hoping this will get corrected during the curing process; I have four jars - three of Two and one of Four - sitting with hygrometers inside each in a quasi-controlled environment.

Here's to hoping your efforts have met with relative success, @406bleedsblue.

Shit, didn't know if I should give you a cheers or a sad emoji. Hopefully, after curing, your buds will become what you wanted.