Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Anybody else legally growing cannabis?

16 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Without pruning cannabis, it will tend towards growing one large central stem (as seen in your plants), a group of "subordinate" stems, and a cluster of lower ones. Left alone those plants will produce one giant cola on the main stem, and clusters of decreasingly smaller buds with decreasingly less THC content as you move down the plant.

Conventional wisdom states you cut the top of the plant (before flowering tho) above the 3rd-6th node. This directs hormonal growth to the shoots and as the plant progresses through its vegetative stage it will in turn develop multiple "main" colas - each will be smaller than what you would have harvested had you let it grow one singular main cola, but you will end up harvesting more flower by cultivating multiple (smaller) colas.

Also I would advise reading up on cannabis light requirements during flowering stage (which at least one of your plants is entering). In order to produce large, tight, juicy clusters of flowers  - as opposed to lose larfy buds (think Kim Kardashian's ass vs. a 90-year old stripper's ass) - cannabis requires a minimal amount of light energy. This can be expressed in µm/m^2/s (micro moles per meter squared per second) or the additive energy delivered over a given time interval, which translate to PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) and DLI (Daily Light Integral), respectively. The latter of the two is the one that matters the most, as light energy is additive (so every little bit helps).

According to what I have read, in order to produce decent flower, cannabis has to receive a DLI ≥25 per 24-hour cycle. DLI = PPFD*3600*time interval/1,000,000. So you can measure lux with a meter (free apps are available n the absence of hardware), and then convert lux to PPFD (using predefined conversion factors based on the light source). 

How does this look in practice? I measure between 24K-29K lux (lumens/m^2) under midday direct sunlight (YMMV). The lux-PPFD conversion factor for direct sunlight is .0185, so,  25,000 lumens/m^2 = 25,000*.0185 = 462.4 µm/m^2/s. That's my PPFD value.

So in order to provide a minimum DLI of 25, I would have to plug in those values and solve for t (time):

25 = ((462.5*3600)/1000000)*t => 25/ ((462.5*3600)/1000000) = t = 15 hours.

However, that strong morning-midday sun only lasts from about 1000-1600, so I only get six hours of direct sunlight in that range. So my direct sunlight only provides a DLI of (6*3600*462.5)/1000000 = 9.99, meaning I will still have to account for an additional DLI of 15 or greater to get a decent yield from my few plants. And the fact they need 12 hours of interrupted darkness means I have to provide that within a 6-8 hour window, which in turn informs me of the relevant PPFD I have to supply in that time window, thus guiding which light (or lights) I need to use. :)

BTW, as an FYI, based on height, internodal length, and the presentation of its fan leaves, that largest plant in the foreground appears to be a sativa or sativa-dominant strain.

Jesus dude.

24 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Without pruning cannabis, it will tend towards growing one large central stem (as seen in your plants), a group of "subordinate" stems, and a cluster of lower ones. Left alone those plants will produce one giant cola on the main stem, and clusters of decreasingly smaller buds with decreasingly less THC content as you move down the plant.

Conventional wisdom states you cut the top of the plant (before flowering tho) above the 3rd-6th node. This directs hormonal growth to the shoots and as the plant progresses through its vegetative stage it will in turn develop multiple "main" colas - each will be smaller than what you would have harvested had you let it grow one singular main cola, but you will end up harvesting more flower by cultivating multiple (smaller) colas.

Also I would advise reading up on cannabis light requirements during flowering stage (which at least one of your plants is entering). In order to produce large, tight, juicy clusters of flowers  - as opposed to lose larfy buds (think Kim Kardashian's ass vs. a 90-year old stripper's ass) - cannabis requires a minimal amount of light energy. This can be expressed in µm/m^2/s (micro moles per meter squared per second) or the additive energy delivered over a given time interval, which translate to PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) and DLI (Daily Light Integral), respectively. The latter of the two is the one that matters the most, as light energy is additive (so every little bit helps).

According to what I have read, in order to produce decent flower, cannabis has to receive a DLI ≥25 per 24-hour cycle. DLI = PPFD*3600*time interval/1,000,000. So you can measure lux with a meter (free apps are available n the absence of hardware), and then convert lux to PPFD (using predefined conversion factors based on the light source). 

How does this look in practice? I measure between 24K-29K lux (lumens/m^2) under midday direct sunlight (YMMV). The lux-PPFD conversion factor for direct sunlight is .0185, so,  25,000 lumens/m^2 = 25,000*.0185 = 462.4 µm/m^2/s. That's my PPFD value.

So in order to provide a minimum DLI of 25, I would have to plug in those values and solve for t (time):

25 = ((462.5*3600)/1000000)*t => 25/ ((462.5*3600)/1000000) = t = 15 hours.

However, that strong morning-midday sun only lasts from about 1000-1600, so I only get six hours of direct sunlight in that range. So my direct sunlight only provides a DLI of (6*3600*462.5)/1000000 = 9.99, meaning I will still have to account for an additional DLI of 15 or greater to get a decent yield from my few plants. And the fact they need 12 hours of interrupted darkness means I have to provide that within a 6-8 hour window, which in turn informs me of the relevant PPFD I have to supply in that time window, thus guiding which light (or lights) I need to use. :)

BTW, as an FYI, based on height, internodal length, and the presentation of its fan leaves, that largest plant in the foreground appears to be a sativa or sativa-dominant strain.

N3RD

13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

image.jpeg.ea4e11b693550bb996269fbfcd5b1d24.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I appreciate the info. My wife and I rarely smoke so we aren't all that concerned with potency. We're just happy that they're growing 

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Jesus dude.

Just now, Los_Aztecas said:

N3RD

@TheSanDiegan takes his hobbies very seriously!!!

13 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

OK BOOMERS humble bragging about the new hydro set they ordered from High Times:

Peak MWCBOARD Douche Level Achivement Unlocked 100g

you brag about eating burritos

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Jesus dude.

It's how I'm hardwired man. :shrug: I don't like to undertake new hobbies so much as I like to master them - my late grandpa used to always tell me as a kid, "if something's worth doing it's worth doing right." 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It's how I'm hardwired man. :shrug: I don't like to undertake new hobbies so much as I like to master them - my late grandpa used to always tell me as a kid, "if something's worth doing it's worth ding right." 

You spelled ' doing ' as 'ding'. It's not like anyone would notice....

5 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I appreciate the info. My wife and I rarely smoke so we aren't all that concerned with potency. We're just happy that they're growing 

Dude just for shits and giggles let's compare yields when all is said and done - my four 2-3' plants and your two Big Basin monster redwoods. This is my first grow as well - we're taking two totally different approaches (hell, I'm taking two different approaches by myself), and I would be curious to see what, if any, impact it has on results. :)

12 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Dude just for shits and giggles let's compare yields when all is said and done - my four 2-3' plants and your two Big Basin monster redwoods. This is my first grow as well - we're taking two totally different approaches (hell, I'm taking two different approaches by myself), and I would be curious to see what, if any, impact it has on results. :)

Sounds good. Will be interesting to see the differences. 

Just now, RogueStout said:

and?

why call bragging about consuming one thing that makes you feel better "douchey" when you brag about consuming a thing that makes you feel better?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

why call bragging about consuming one thing that makes you feel better "douchey" when you brag about consuming a thing that makes you feel better?

To be fair, he brags about eating hot dogs and hamburgers.

I would respect him more if he bragged and posted about eating burritos. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Just now, RogueStout said:

To be fair, he brags about eating hot dogs and hamburgers.

I would respect him more if he bragged and posted about eating burritos. 

I was trying to give him credit :( 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

There you go AZZ-U-ME-ing again. Douchebaggery can be really good Internet. I embrace my inner douche regularly vis-à-vis RL.

Nick the Greeks in South San José:

Pork Gyro and Fries = A-/B+

20200823_171402.jpg.5542b9eb8f4a42e17b377638c295cb0c.jpg

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

There you go AZZ-U-ME-ing again. Douchebaggery can be really good Internet. I embrace my inner douche regularly vis-à-vis RL.

Nick the Greeks in South San José:

Pork Gyro and Fries = A-/B+

20200823_171402.jpg.5542b9eb8f4a42e17b377638c295cb0c.jpg

So did you grow that gyro yourself, or did you just pull it out of your ass like you do with your post content? 

2 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Don't be pulling stuff outta your azz, your IQ is already low enough as is #shltferbrains

Careful - I have enough time on my hands this week to mathematically model how old you were when yer mom started turning tricks.

J/k... we all know that's how she got pregnant with you in the first place. 

Hey @Mad_Hatter - if you don't mind, can you either advise or show this picture to your buddy and ask his advice on pruning? It's growing in such a compact, dense form that I'm hesitant to top it (going to clone it form bottom cuttings instead). Should I be thinning it out? Should I top it anyway (or #4 next to it, for that matter)?

I registered on a grow site to seek advice on this but am not allowed to post there yet, and as I'm going to set up the dual-tote over the next couple days I thought I would reach out. These are the two in the AeroGarden (today is Day 21 in the AG). Thanks! :cheers:

IMG-1671-Uk1-Q.jpg

13 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hey @Mad_Hatter - if you don't mind, can you either advise or show this picture to your buddy and ask his advice on pruning? It's growing in such a compact, dense form that I'm hesitant to top it (going to clone it form bottom cuttings instead). Should I be thinning it out? Should I top it anyway (or #4 next to it, for that matter)?

I registered on a grow site to seek advice on this but am not allowed to post there yet, and as I'm going to set up the dual-tote over the next couple days I thought I would reach out. These are the two in the AeroGarden (today is Day 21 in the AG). Thanks! :cheers:

IMG-1671-Uk1-Q.jpg

Definitely, I’ll send it to him and see what he says. He’s out in rural NV so his service is spotty and sometimes it takes a while before he responds, but I’ll look into it.