Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels18

UNLV 2021-∞ RECRUITING CHAMPS BABY !!

3 hours ago, Cincy said:

UNLV basketball is the King of doing less with more post Tark.  

How many big name recruits have you guys got and then proceeded to have very average seasons?

All the big name recruits in the world doesn't mean shit if you have incompetent coaching. UNLV can regularly land elite recruits because of our brand, location, and facilities. That's a given whether you're Dave Rice, Marvin Menzies, or TJ Otzelberger. This isn't Fresno, Vegas isn't a hard sell to 4 & 5 star recruits.

Las Vegas is also a hot spot of elite talent on the west coast--and is the mecca of major AAU/Summer basketball circuits. Another nice little perk is that NBA Summer League is held here, it certainly doesn't hurt to let recruits know that if you play for UNLV that you'll be able to practice and network with NBA players, coaches, and agents when they're practicing in the Mendenhall Center or T&M Center. Kinda a big deal for 18 year old basketball players to meet Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, etc over summer vacation. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

4 hours ago, Cincy said:

UNLV basketball is the King of doing less with more post Tark.  

How many big name recruits have you guys got and then proceeded to have very average seasons?

Dave Rice was that guy ................Birch, Vaughn, Jones. McCaw, Bennett, Wood maybe others all made the NBA but Rice never got much over .500 in MWC play 

Rice was an underwhelming leader. Marv was mediocre in about all areas of his responsibilities. TJ is mostly still unknown. What we have seen has looked more like D1 MBB than we’ve seen in years. Now we are seeing a significant step forward in recruiting especially on a local level. It will be a tough few months waiting to see how this upcoming season shakes out. This staff to date is outperforming expectations. 

I don't blame anyone who mocks us for being recruiitng champions.

Its up to coach Otz and coach Arroyo to prove them wrong.

In basketball especially we have a recent history (before last season) of underperforming with probably the most talent in the MWC, see Dave Rice years.

I personally believe we have 2 coaches in football and basketball that will have success.  

BUT, they need to prove it first.... I will say it feels good to have hope though!

8 hours ago, RebelSaint702 said:

In basketball especially we have a recent history (before last season) of underperforming with probably the most talent in the MWC, see Dave Rice years.

I personally believe we have 2 coaches in football and basketball that will have success.  

BUT, they need to prove it first.... I will say it feels good to have hope though!

I think Otzelberger proved himself last year.  They struggled out of the gate with a new coach, system, expectations, etc.  He said things were going to change, and they did.  He held players accountable, and players like Bryce Hamilton responded.  He stuck with his principles and processes, and we played our best basketball at the end of the season.  I think we would’ve won the MWCT if Mitrou-Long didn’t get injured vs San Jose State.

21 hours ago, RebelSaint702 said:

100%, but I will say that Otz last season was the first coach since Kruger to actually improve the team as the season went on.  That was a great sign.  But yeah.....Off Season Champs again.  We own that shit.  :rock:

Great get! 

As stated many times; these are the types of recruits that should be expected at UNIV, because it is UNLV that delivers these types of recruits, then the staff.

To me, landing a PG like this all but insures the success of this staff moving forward.  They have already shown themselves as competent coaches, and now top shelf recruiters.  

The only question mark that my still be there is how have they evaluated the unranked, lower level players they've brought in. But with top shelf talent like this, it should not matter.

It should be suds and the REBELS fighting for mw 1-2 and seeding.

Collins is a great pick-up.  Not only is he a talent player and good leader but always important to keep top talent in your back yard home. Plus he isn’t a square peg in a round hole, should be a really good fit for what Otzelberger wants to do on the offensive end.

Certainly agree with some of the comments above, gotta turn the recruiting wins into wins on the court.  Will be interesting to see what the staff can do over the next couple of seasons with all the influx of new talent.    

On 8/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, RebelSaint702 said:

You mean you aren't going to assert that SDSU's success has suddenly ended following a season in which the Aztecs finished ranked 6th in the country and you aren't going to say that Otz should have been MW COY rather than Brian Dutcher? :drunkards:

This will be a game changer in many ways. It will be interesting to see with a new staff and philosophy how a top national recruit like this will work within the system and how long they will stay. Our previous few coach’s had a revolving door for recruits with any talent. I’m still a believer in building with 3-4 year players. Zaon seems like a quality kid.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2020/aug/24/what-zaon-collins-commitment-means-for-unlv-basket/

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

This will be a game changer in many ways. It will be interesting to see with a new staff and philosophy how a top national recruit like this will work within the system and how long they will stay. Our previous few coach’s had a revolving door for recruits with any talent. I’m still a believer in building with 3-4 year players. Zaon seems like a quality kid.

https://lasvegassun.com//news/2020/aug/24/what-zaon-collins-commitment-means-for-unlv-basket/

I get that Ozt isn't a doofus like Rice. However, I also get that contrary to Rice, Otz isn't a longtime Rebel and can therefore be assumed to stay around if he becomes very successful.

So the game changer stuff sounds to this non-Rebel a lot like what was coming out of the mouths of big Hillary supporters four years ago.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, ph90702 said:

Otzelberger should have won coach of the year.  No coach did more with less in the MW.

Brian Dutcher was easily the runaway coach of the year.  He had SDS rated all season and got the Aztecs higher in the rankings than any MWC school in a long time.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

On 8/29/2020 at 1:48 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I get that Ozt isn't a doofus like Rice. However, I also get that contrary to Rice, Otz isn't a longtime Rebel and can therefore be assumed to stay around if he becomes very successful.

So the game changer stuff sounds to this non-Rebel a lot like what was coming out of the mouths of big Hillary supporters four years ago.

Bringing politics into this thread shows everyone your level of intelligence.  Also, sounds like someone who is worried about the upcoming election.

This board is just becoming how great UNLV is anymore. Good grief you get and NFL stadium and you already think you have a P12 invite. 

were is Rebel Robert now a days. He has to be living the dream.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 hours ago, robe said:

This board is just becoming how great UNLV is anymore. Good grief you get and NFL stadium and you already think you have a P12 invite. 

we'll get a p12 invite before BYU

and its all because you wear magic underwear

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

10 hours ago, robe said:

The Rebels will be in the PAC-12 within the next five years.