Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

RNC Convention

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I can't fathom how they're are still undecideds. Just does not compute.

do you think everyone who voted for Trump last time decided to do so a year in advance?   There's likely a lot of people on the fence because they may not really like Trump personally, but they may like his policies and then they also don't like a lot of things about Biden either.  
I'm sure you can't fathom that though because you you won't recognize anything Trump has accomplished.  

3 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Its also a fact that governors of some of the largest states have crippled their economies and they are already starting to regret it.  

US Economy is bouncing back much better than I thought it would.   There was a shutdown ,  many states have reopened, and things are moving forward.  

We all know why the economy is having problems and its almost entirely Covid.  A lot of that has been alleviated but its going to take awhile to get fully back on track.  If Dems want to try and use the economy as a Trump negative, I think they'll be SOL. 
Dems dont have squat to offer in regards to jobs or the economy.  But hey, I didn't think that mattered anymore? 

Covid happened in every country but their bounce back is better.

Sorry, but what you "thought the economy" should be is not an actual benchmark worthy of consideration.

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

do you think everyone who voted for Trump last time decided to do so a year in advance?   There's likely a lot of people on the fence because they may not really like Trump personally, but they may like his policies and then they also don't like a lot of things about Biden either.  
I'm sure you can't fathom that though because you you won't recognize anything Trump has accomplished.  

Like having the worst economy and covid response of first world nations.

Just now, toonkee said:

Covid happened in every country but their bounce back is better.

Sorry, but what you "thought the economy" should be is not an actual benchmark worthy of consideration.

yeah but they don't have anti Trump governors who are trying to keep the economy down until the election. 

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The problem is the Democrats, one again, selected an incredibly weak candidate.  They messed up...

Democrats should be running away with this, but Biden is allowing Trump to make it a race.

I agree that Biden is not a great candidate but all of the other Democratic front running candidates were way too far left to attract the moderate and independent voters needed to beat Trump.  Warren and Sanders get beat by Trump cuz moderates and Independents will stay home and perhaps many would vote for Trump.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I agree that Biden is not a great candidate but all of the other Democratic front running candidates were way too far left to attract the moderate and independent voters needed to beat Trump.  Warren and Sanders get beat by Trump cuz moderates and Independents will stay home and perhaps many would vote for Trump.

They really needed a celebrity like Obama and Trump...or Ronald Reagan.  But they couldn't find one this time.

I recall Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger being elected in California.  Our country loves celebrities...

Oprah could probably win for the Democrats.

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

yeah but they don't have anti Trump governors who are trying to keep the economy down until the election. 

Yes, Democratic Govenors all over the country are falling on their political swords by intentionally keeping their states economies shut down.  I'm sorry but I don't buy this.

4 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Yes, Democratic Govenors all over the country are falling on their political swords by intentionally keeping their states economies shut down.  I'm sorry but I don't buy this.

You’re talking to an insane Trump sycophant. They inherently reject logic and reason as a means to understand the world. Don’t waste your breath.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

25 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Most democrats dont  believe america is evil either. That's why they nominated Biden. Does a larger portion of the democrat electorate think america is evil than the portion of the gop electorate a nationalist, nativist authoritarian? That's a legit question. The nomination process of the last 2 elections suggest the latter is the case. But that is just what it seems. I could be wrong because I fear the right more than the left right now, which is a 180 from a half decade ago.

You are right, however. The most disturbing stuff was more subtle as you suggest. Lies are lies. Dude tells them all the time. But appealing to some of America's most destructive myths? Hes contributing to things he doesn't even understand. 

I do not know.  Right now I fear a populist left wing politician in my lifetime to be the most dangerous thing in America.  We have seen what a populist on the right can do with Trump.  Not much of anything.  The constant rhetoric that we should actively work to disenfranchise white families and kids, which is currently a far left talking point, scares me it may become mainstream.  I am a supporter of affirmative action.  I acknowledge systemic racism.  I believe the only way to make our country whole is by trying to heal our original sin through reparations for blacks and similar monetary compensation to natives.  However I see a real, real hatred for white people on the fringes of the far left, and it is gaining steam.  If you do not see that, you are not paying attention.  

10 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Trump shut down his own economy by negligently ignoring the virus.  He is stuck on stupid with all those unmasked people in a small space.  That may move the needle more with undecided people than anything.   The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.   That is why we have 25% worldwide of civid deaths with only 4% of the world's population. 

Posted Image

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

Biden has never been a good candidate, its amazing to me that Dems think he will be now.  Putting your money on someone just because their least offensive doesn't seem the best plan to me.  

This is almost the complete opposite of Obama in 2008

10 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

You’re talking to an insane Trump sycophant. They inherently reject logic and reason as a means to understand the world. Don’t waste your breath.

Hey now, pokerider is a fellow Cowboy living in my home state of South Dakota.  We may disagree on Trump but def not wasting my breathe.  All in all we be good.

15 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I do not know.  Right now I fear a populist left wing politician in my lifetime to be the most dangerous thing in America.  We have seen what a populist on the right can do with Trump.  Not much of anything.  The constant rhetoric that we should actively work to disenfranchise white families and kids, which is currently a far left talking point, scares me it may become mainstream.  I am a supporter of affirmative action.  I acknowledge systemic racism.  I believe the only way to make our country whole is by trying to heal our original sin through reparations for blacks and similar monetary compensation to natives.  However I see a real, real hatred for white people on the fringes of the far left, and it is gaining steam.  If you do not see that, you are not paying attention.  

I am as familiar with extreme left activism and the authoritarianism in much of it as anyone. And I do fear it S well,.and if anything I think the current president has grown some of the momentum that does exist. These extremes are symbiotic. And I am not saying a leftist authoritarian leader would be less dangerous than a right wing one.

But that left wing one is still theoretical, because the party to the left rejected it at least this time around. The right, and mainstream GOP, has fully embraced it. Maybe many of them have embraced it only publically and feel dirty about it. But this is the party of Trumpism now, whether they like it or not. And Trumpism is a populist, authoritarian form of conservatism. The only hope of killing it right now is him losing the election and his sycophants losing power. 

Yes hes a bumbling fool and largely ineffective. But I saw that Tom Cotton spoke tonight. That dude is running for president in 2024. And I dont think hes gonna be as ineffective as Trump in carrying out Trumpism.

I think it's more important to deal with the authoritarianism at hand... the authoritarianism that holds the power now... than let one that may come about in the future dictate our national priorities.

My 2 cents. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Hey now, pokerider is a fellow Cowboy living in my home state of South Dakota.  We may disagree on Trump but def not wasting my breathe.  All in all we be good.

So why do you think most everyone in Wyoming and S.Dakota supports Trump then? 

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I am as familiar with extreme left activism and the authoritarianism in much of it as anyone. And I do fear it S well,.and if anything I think the current president has grown some of the momentum that does exist. These extremes are symbiotic. And I am not saying a leftist authoritarian leader would be less dangerous than a right wing one.

But that left wing one is still theoretical, because the party to the left rejected it at least this time around. The right, and mainstream GOP, has fully embraced it. Maybe many of them have embraced it only publically and feel dirty about it. But this is the party of Trumpism now, whether they like it or not. And Trumpism is a populist, authoritarian form of conservatism. The only hope of killing it right now is him losing the election and his sycophants losing power. 

Yes hes a bumbling fool and largely ineffective. But I saw that Tom Cotton spoke tonight. That dude is running for president in 2024. And I dont think hes gonna be as ineffective as Trump in carrying out Trumpism.

I think it's more important to deal with the authoritarianism at hand... the authoritarianism that holds the power now... than let one that may come about in the future dictate our national priorities.

My 2 cents. 

What a choice.

Good post.

Just now, pokerider said:

So why do you think most everyone in Wyoming and S.Dakota supports Trump then? 

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with Republicans election after election paying lip service to the base and not delivering on conservative issues once in office.   Trump is a different beast with his rhetoric.  His accomplishments, outside of judicial nominations aren't as grand as his rhetoric but at least he fights vocally for much of what his base believes in.  I have many Republican friends that think Trump is not a good person but they just cannot fathom voting for a Democrat and are tired of Republicans that don't stand up for them.  I also think a lot of people in rural America see this country changing and it worries them.  In this environment a vocal leader becomes very popular with a group that feels no one is fighting for them.

30 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think your fears are founded if Trump wins.   Dems will conclude the middle ground moderate approach won’t work and will go ideological left wing to combat the ideological right wing.   Want to stop your fear from occurring vote the moderate Dem.  Want to insure your choice is a more extreme Trump or an extreme Dem vote Trump.  

BTW choosing between two extremes is your best option.  We already have seen right wing nut jobs going into protests to shoot and kill people.   It won’t be long before left wingers start arming themselves to shoot back.  

31 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

My 2 cents. 

Very good point.  I hope those on the fence and voting third party consider it carefully.   This country is close the brink of the extreme left versus the extreme right.   

The Dems stepped back from the brink and nominated Biden.  I doubt they will do so twice.