Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Iowa Cuts 4 Sports and is in "Deep Financial Trouble"

56 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I wonder if Covid will lead to something all other well run  “professional” sports have in place.   Cost Control mechanisms.  

The NCAA needs to negotiate with member institutions to implement annual expense caps on Football and basketball.   

Their should be annual caps on operating expenses and on depreciated capital expense.  

Iowa Hawkeye fans... Welcome to our everyday G5 world!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Apparently it takes $50 million plus in annual conference revenue to run a $100 million deficit:

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2019/5/31/18646305/the-big-ten-conference-basketball-payout-contract-fox-tv-deal-is-rolling-in-the-dough

What is happening at Iowa and other P5 schools that are drowning in red ink frankly defies comprehension.

This is one of the reasons I really had a problem with the CFB arms race.  Ballooning budgets based on the expectation of crazy media contracts led to irresponsible spending and the prospect of things going south was never discussed.  Of course, I didn't think we would have the pandemic, but I felt that there would be a day when the CFB market would crash - I expected it would be through a collapse of the media contracts.

If there is one thing positive about FCS it is that we will only lose a big chunk of money rather than a disastrous amount.

6 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Apparently it takes $50 million plus in annual conference revenue to run a $100 million deficit:

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2019/5/31/18646305/the-big-ten-conference-basketball-payout-contract-fox-tv-deal-is-rolling-in-the-dough

What is happening at Iowa and other P5 schools that are drowning in red ink frankly defies comprehension.

I think we'll see a smaller scale version of that in the more aspirational G5's

5 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I agree,  I don't get it.  No control from the director. Overspending because they can and will worry about it when shat hits the fan mentality. 

pish.

SDSU is taking on 1/2 billion in debt.

Must be a "zig" when others "zag" strategy.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

Everyone knows what great investments football stadiums are.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Iowa Hawkeye fans... Welcome to our everyday G5 world!

G5 AD's to P5 AD's on how to handle tight budget spending.  

Welcome To The Show Will Ferrell GIF - WelcomeToTheShow ...

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I wonder if Covid will lead to something all other well run  “professional” sports have in place.   Cost Control mechanisms.  

The NCAA needs to negotiate with member institutions to implement annual expense caps on Football and basketball.   

Their should be annual caps on operating expenses and on depreciated capital expense.  

I was going to say that, perhaps these big time P5 programs are spending like drunken sailors & think they have endless budgets to throw $$ around knowing they will just refill their coffers - Seems they don't face the reality that the G5 programs have to deal with 

6 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

pish.

Hopefully, CSU has some deep pocket donors to cover their arses. They phuking borrowed money to cover their interest debt on Canvas. Good Gawd.

Their fb program may not only go under, but drag the entire Uni down with it 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

19 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Hopefully, CSU has some deep pocket donors to cover their arses. They phuking borrowed money to cover their interest debt on Canvas. Good Gawd.

Their fb program may not only go under, but drag the entire Uni down with it 

The troubling thing about CSU is how big their budget is, and what a shit rate of return they’re getting. There’s been a whole lot of bad decision making in Fort Collins from bad personnel hiring to employees making big mistakes. You should always stay lean and mean, even as a P5. Fat and mediocrity are always challenges for a program. 

The bottom line is wanting to win starts with the President, and he/she sets the tone and expectations. Without that, there won’t be consistent winning or worse. 

kat.jpg

On 8/23/2020 at 1:21 PM, SDSUfan said:

pish.

$500M for the football stadium alone? Hardly.