Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

Let's Talk Big Picture

Wtf is going on? Why are people embracing communism on the left and fascism on the right. Why the populism? Why is Donald Trump president? 

We can their rocks at each other but it's clear there's something much bigger than just what the other team is doing.  Certain conditions have been meet to get us to this level of fear, anger, mistrust, resentment. How do we identify those things and address then before this whole mess gets worse?

I seriously don't want this to be about bashing Trump, etc. I'm asking why Trump, why Q, why the Portland violent commies.

30 minutes ago, toonkee said:

fascism on the right

I've seen the champaign commies, but I have never seen anyone actually say they support fascism. Their actions might say that, but who is "embracing" fascism? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I think the internet has made it easier than ever to have news or facts tailored to exactly how you want to see the world. You'll begin to live in a bubble and when you are constantly reassured that your side is right and the other is insane, you'll start moving further and further from the center

I know people that run the gamut as far as politics go, but I have never met a single person in the wild that actually wants communism. So I’ll believe that’s a real thing when I see it somewhere other then on the internet.

20 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I know people that run the gamut as far as politics go, but I have never met a single person in the wild that actually wants communism. So I’ll believe that’s a real thing when I see it somewhere other then on the internet.

Let me introduce you to my sister some time. She openly advocates for Communism. It causes some very awkward situations when I go back home. 

1 hour ago, sebasour said:

I think the internet has made it easier than ever to have news or facts tailored to exactly how you want to see the world. You'll begin to live in a bubble and when you are constantly reassured that your side is right and the other is insane, you'll start moving further and further from the center

To expand on your great comment, I would also add that what we see on tv for the most part isn’t news. It’s opinion. Cable news has gone all in on the opinion front. They don’t do real news anymore. They haven’t done it for years. The nightly news broadcasts on the old big 3 networks are as close as you’re going to get to real news, but even there opinion is creeping in. The internet is a cesspool pool of opinion that many people don’t want to navigate anymore to pursue real news. 

Opinion masked as news is poison to our Republic. If we don’t get a handle on it, it will ultimately destroy us.

45 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

My friends list is filled with self avowed communists.  

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I've seen the champaign commies, but I have never seen anyone actually say they support fascism. Their actions might say that, but who is "embracing" fascism? 

Not sure fascists identify as fascists. 

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

My friends list is filled with self avowed communists.  

I must admit my knee jerk reaction was to resis your take on the rioting in Portlandand, Seattle, etc as being anti-capitalism and not BLM, but after digesting some more info and videos it's quite clear that violent actors are basically demanding property confiscation by mob rule.

11 hours ago, toonkee said:

Wtf is going on? Why are people embracing communism on the left and fascism on the right. Why the populism? Why is Donald Trump president? 

We can their rocks at each other but it's clear there's something much bigger than just what the other team is doing.  Certain conditions have been meet to get us to this level of fear, anger, mistrust, resentment. How do we identify those things and address then before this whole mess gets worse?

I seriously don't want this to be about bashing Trump, etc. I'm asking why Trump, why Q, why the Portland violent commies.

Many Americans are scared.  We see America slipping as China rises.  Technology is taking jobs from the marketplace.  Hell, in my lifetime truck drivers will largely cease to be necessary.  Job security, housing, healthcare among other things are adding stress to our daily lives.  Social media delivers negative news to our phones every second of the day.  The stress of seeing almost exclusively negative news stories adds up over time.  When people feel threatened they act differently and often tribally.  Circle the wagons.  It's us against them.  Whomever the us or them is.

11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I must admit my knee jerk reaction was to resis your take on the rioting in Portlandand, Seattle, etc as being anti-capitalism and not BLM, but after digesting some more info and videos it's quite clear that violent actors are basically demanding property confiscation by mob rule.

Trust me, I get it.  I argue on here for reparations and defend BLM and it's leaders.  Towards that cause, it is important the nation understands what these protesters are and are not.  They are not protesting for black lives, they are protesting/rioting against business, white people having money, and the evils of capitalism.

Edit:  At this point in time.  The protests originally were about black lives but the last month or so that has stopped being the case.

Societies as a whole, particularly industrialized countries, all across the world seem to be dissatisfied. The Cvirus is currently accentuating the dissatisfaction. The financial situation in many countries is precarious. And the world population is becoming too large competing for limited resources. The world is becoming more secular and have nothing to fall back on.  Throw that all together and we are living in uncertain times which breeds fear, or challenges depending on how you look at it. 

I’m waiting for the hammer to fall but not sure what form that hammer will take. Maybe the hammer and sickle? Just kidding, who knows? 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Societies as a whole all across the world seem to be dissatisfied. The Cvirus is currently accentuating the dissatisfaction. The financial situation in many countries is precarious. And the world population is becoming too large competing for limited resources. Throw that all together and we are living in uncertain times. 

Ok Thanos, what do you propose then? Head in to Africa and South Asia and just start slaughtering people to slow down the population growth? 

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Interesting. I guess being off the social medias helps me avoid a lot of that nonsense. 

One of my oldest friends, known him since second grade, has a profile pic of a red eyed Karl Marx and the quotes "hippty hoppity abolish private property".  He is convinced the only reason communism was not more successful is because the West sabotaged it due to their greed.  

3 hours ago, sebasour said:

The internet has enhanced a behavior that has long existed. In the real old days many cities had at least 2 newspapers, one conservative and one liberal. Many of the newspapers proudly stated on their masthead "Democrat" or "Republican", either in the newspaper name or as a statement of political leaning.

Cable TV led to a larger split. Instead of relying on news from 3 broadcast networks there were many choices. Instead of simply being a Cronkite or Huntley/Brinkley follower there were many more viewpoints.

I have been telling people for years there are 3 items that have led to the internet increasing the societal splits:

1. Internet Filter Bubbles - The algorithms in search engines and social media display results based on your previous interests. They repeat back to you similar information to what you have previously clicked or read.
  2. Internet Echo Chambers - People tend to join discussions forums with those of similar interests or look for same-thinking people on forums. That confirms existing beliefs instead of pondering a different viewpoint.
  3. Search Confirmation Bias -  People use search terms that confirm there current belief so the results reflect that. Searching for "vaccines are dangerous" will return mainly results that confirm that statement. "Vaccines are safe" will also mostly confirm that statement. People have to search for different viewpoints to see both sides of an issue. Information search literacy (looking for all viewpoints) should be taught in schools.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

One of my oldest friends, known him since second grade, has a profile pic of a red eyed Karl Marx and the quotes "hippty hoppity abolish private property".  He is convinced the only reason communism was not more successful is because the West sabotaged it due to their greed.  

Communism is an idealistic state and most people primarily look out for themselves. 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

People are tired of working their arses off with little to show, it’s rigged. Why are we against the elite 5%?  Highest paid CEO pay increased $340,000 in 2019! Average workers salary increased $1.09 per hour or $2267.20 per year. Not a one year aboration, but a trend. Pay has increased 940% since 1978! You mite argue carter started it but probably Reagon policies and yes tax cuts. that’s it in a nutshell

trump is president for a variety of reasons

1. Society sick of politicians not helping the people but the elites 
2.  Russian hack farm in St. Petersburg’s russia

3.  White wave in competitive states cracked the blue wall

4.  Teflon Donald and nothing stuck

5.  Comet releasing Clinton letter

6.  Most important was his opponent Hillary 

7. sometimes violence leads to change. Think 1960s most recently

3 hours ago, sebasour said:

Been lurking here lately. This post brought me out of semi-retirement. Spot on and probably the greatest challenge to the Union imo.