Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

BREAKING. State of Idaho Transgender Athlete Law blocked

24 minutes ago, Bob said:

I go by what's on the birth certificate. Seems to solve the privacy issues

I would bet that would have been more difficult to overturn as well, but not how the law was written.

image.png.b14184654fbf8c16fe2bb16c3e5a3544.png

Although the way it was written also seems to leave it up to any doctor.  I would bet one could find a physician to sign off that you are whatever gender you have chosen.

My understanding is the ruling will be appealed to a higher court. Not sure if that is the US Supreme Court, or whether they will even hear the case. 

In any event the ACLU has their head up their ass. No way is this ruling a win for girls and women everywhere. However, I don’t see how you can ban transgenders from playing sports altogether. 

I doubt we’ve heard the end of this as trans participation in women’s sports gains momentum. 

I'm very ambivalent about this particular issue to the point where I don't really even know what I think about it. But I always find it strange that adult men over a certain age are always the ones who get most animated by it. Why this is the issue that drives one up the wall is beyond me. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm very ambivalent about this particular issue to the point where I don't really even know what I think about it.

But I always find it strange that adult men over a certain age are always the ones who get most animated by it. Why this is the issue that drives one up the wall is beyond me. 

My guess:

(1) "Adult men" generally care more about sports competition than women.   They seem to get more bothered when they see an inherent unfairness in sports (Joe Rogan has been vocal about this )

(2) "Over a Certain Age" --  Maybe older guys have daughters in High School sports, and are protective against boys competing against their daughters?!?!    Young dudes with no kids yet, maybe aren't at that stage in life yet?!?

We should do a poll about demographics.

Girls in college sports were co-defendants in the case, if I remember correctly.

Some women think it's bullcrap, but we let people be who they want to be.

I get it that people are born into bodies that they feel they don't belong in, and suicide rates among transgenders is pretty high.

But it isn't the born female, competing as females' fault that they were born that way either, and trans women can't deny their biology gives them advantage.

49 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm very ambivalent about this particular issue to the point where I don't really even know what I think about it. But I always find it strange that adult men over a certain age are always the ones who get most animated by it. Why this is the issue that drives one up the wall is beyond me. 

Probably because some have daughters and want them competing on an equal basis with other girls and not guys. Then the matter of college scholarships come into play and we’re talking about thousands of dollars if you’re daughter is beat out for a scholly by a trans. 

There is no doubt in my mind I could have got a scholly to play college women’s basketball if I were trans. Any decent high school boys basketball player would dominate in high school playing with the girls. 

2 hours ago, CV147 said:

Private leagues I guess are the only answer. The state can't discriminate based on gender identity.

IMO, that would be an unanticipated but great outcome. Go to a more European model, school for education and unaffiliated clubs for athletics.

Of course, some here will think that's a terrible idea because, you know, it's European. :shrug:

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

My guess:

(1) "Adult men" generally care more about sports competition than women.   They seem to get more bothered when they see an inherent unfairness in sports (Joe Rogan has been vocal about this )

(2) "Over a Certain Age" --  Maybe older guys have daughters in High School sports, and are protective against boys competing against their daughters?!?!    Young dudes with no kids yet, maybe aren't at that stage in life yet?!?

We should do a poll about demographics.

Why is it that most of those same men don't get upset about inherent unfairness in "life"?

The same guys who get upset because it "isn't fair!" are usually the ones who are quick to remind that "life's not fair" 

Why empathy for one but not the other?

48 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why is it that most of those same men don't get upset about inherent unfairness in "life"?

The same guys who get upset because it "isn't fair!" are usually the ones who are quick to remind that "life's not fair" 

That’s a whole different discussion that has already filled numerous threads on this board. Right now we’re discussing whether it’s fair for trans male to female to play girls sports. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Probably because some have daughters and want them competing on an equal basis with other girls and not guys. Then the matter of college scholarships come into play and we’re talking about thousands of dollars if you’re daughter is beat out for a scholly by a trans. 

There is no doubt in my mind I could have got a scholly to play college women’s basketball if I were trans. Any decent high school boys basketball player would dominate in high school playing with the girls. 

True story...  my sister in law was a heck of a college b-ball player (BE POY).  She could’ve played anywhere in the world professionally (this was pre-WNBA).  She dominated most guys on a basketball court.  It was always fun to watch unsuspecting guys get worked when we’d take her to play church ball 😂.

v0icAvfW.jpg

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

You should tell that to the girls running track in North Carolina.  They are the faces of this, not middle aged men.

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

True story...  my sister in law was a heck of a college b-ball player (BE POY).  She could’ve played anywhere in the world professionally (this was pre-WNBA).  She dominated most guys on a basketball court.  It was always fun to watch unsuspecting guys get worked when we’d take her to play church ball 😂.

There is no doubt some college girls could play boys high school basketball, but they are a rarity. And most likely they would be guards. Playing inside would be a challenge because of lack of hops and size. Most college girls are lucky if they have a 12 inch vertical while most high school guys can jump twice that high. Size and muscle speaks for itself. Which is why guys should not be competing with girls in most competitive sports. 

However, I will say there are some guy athletes and I use that term loosely that suck and couldn’t compete with girls. 

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Haha.  Fair point.   We seem to be surrounded by extremists on all sides.   

I started to donate to the ACLU due to concerns of Trumps 2016 campaign.  I had always held high respect for the group.  Not sure what changed.  Maybe I did, though I still have the same concerns.  However what they decide to advocate for now has a clear political motive.  This is just one example.  A win for all women?  k.

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I started to donate to the ACLU due to concerns of Trumps 2016 campaign.  I had always held high respect for the group.  Not sure what changed.  Maybe I did, though I still have the same concerns.  However what they decide to advocate for now has a clear political motive.  This is just one example.  A win for all women?  k.

It’s a complex issue.  Some women are XXY chromosomes.  What do you do with them?    I think there are options that are fair to everyone.  I do think many on the right are more interested in making a point about “Christian values” than protect young female athletes.   

36 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

ACLU hasn't changed.  They've been accused of having "political motives", almost always on the left,  forever. 

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, renoskier said:

What?  The only men I've met that act like how you are suggesting are dummies, with an inferiority complex.

14 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You should tell that to the girls running track in North Carolina.  They are the faces of this, not middle aged men.

They may be the faces, but middle aged men are the voices. 

I'm not saying that it's all good, that trans athletes clearly should compete in women's sports. Like I said, I'm ambivalent. I'm just saying that this has become a typical culture war issue, where middle aged dudes pick up the torch for people and issues they otherwise don't care about because they are ooged out by something.

I could be wrong. 

And, just an aside - the "You should tell that to..." argument doesn't work on me. People on the right do it when I argue for the end to the drug war and for criminal justice reform. People on the left do it when I say we shouldn't socialize health care. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.