Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

NHL Playoffs

Stood on his head: This is a term to describe an outstanding performance by an ice hockey goaltender in a short period of time. Often when a goalie lets out a rebound, the opposition returns the shot quickly, and the goalie has to make a quick save. A goalie often falls on his side and "stacks the pads" and appears to nearly stand on their head. The term may have been derived after NHL President Frank Calder, alluding to the 1918 rules change that permitted goalies to leave their feet to make a save, remarked, "As far as I am concerned, they can stand on their head(s)."

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

VGK in a deep hole..............last year Pete DeBoer brought the Sharks back from a 3-1 deficit to defeat the VGK, can he do if FOR the VGK this year?!?!

The two teams have seemed pretty even so far.  It wouldn't surprise me if we get a few more games.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

No, he can't. He is the problem.

Nah, Vegas just can't find the back of the net to save their lives.  Other than scoring the GKights are playing well.  They've outshot Dallas significantly in the first 4 games.  Vegas scored 45 goals in the first 12 games of the payoffs and only 10 goals in the past 7 games.  Khudobin is every bit as hot right now as Thatcher Demko was in the last round but Khudobin has got a better team in front of him than Demko did.

Marchessault and Reily each 10 games without a goal

Pacioretty 7 games without a goal

Stone & Tuch each with just 1 goal in tha last 8 games

Karlsson 1 goal in the last 7 games

Stasny 2 goals in the last 12 games

7 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Nah, Vegas just can't find the back of the net to save their lives.  Other than scoring the GKights are playing well.  They've outshot Dallas significantly in the first 4 games.  Vegas scored 45 goals in the first 12 games of the payoffs and only 10 goals in the past 7 games.  Khudobin is every bit as hot right now as Thatcher Demko was in the last round but Khudobin has got a better team in front of him than Demko did.

Marchessault and Reily each 10 games without a goal

Pacioretty 7 games without a goal

Stone & Tuch each with just 1 goal in tha last 8 games

Karlsson 1 goal in the last 7 games

Stasny 2 goals in the last 12 games

So get creative. It's so predictable right now. Pass, pass, pass, pop off a 3 (yes, I did that, lol.) Nothing is being done to get the (backup, again) goalie out of the center of the net, and they're shooting right at his chest. It's DeBoer's job to figure something out, and he isn't doing that.

Yes, the knights are outplaying them in every other category, except the one that counts in the end.

But, I have to admit, I was not happy when DeBoer, of all people, was hired after being fired from San Jose. So there's that.

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

So get creative. It's so predictable right now. Pass, pass, pass, pop off a 3 (yes, I did that, lol.) Nothing is being done to get the (backup, again) goalie out of the center of the net, and they're shooting right at his chest. It's DeBoer's job to figure something out, and he isn't doing that.

Yes, the knights are outplaying them in every other category, except the one that counts in the end.

But, I have to admit, I was not happy when DeBoer, of all people, was hired after being fired from San Jose. So there's that.

This goes to show that a good defense is your best offense.  Dallas has pigeon-holed Vegas into predictable play because they have a good lock-down D and their defensive players can score, allowing them to play from a purely defensive position. The frustration is clearly showing for Vegas.  That being said, I can see this going to 7 games.  Vegas has been knocking on the doorstep and a goalie can only block so many shots.

22 hours ago, masterfrog said:

The two teams have seemed pretty even so far.  It wouldn't surprise me if we get a few more games.

Is this a view shared by others? I honestly have never seen back-to-back series dominated so heavily by one team that has then struggled to win. The Knights/Canucks series was a carbon copy of this series with the Stars. Vegas has dominated in every facet of the game except the scoreboard.

Game after game they dominate control of the puck, they live inside the opponent's zone, they create way more scoring opportunities, they heavily out-shoot their opponent, and yet....they somehow repeatedly find ways to lose games 1-0 or 2-1. I'm not sure if it is because Lehner and Fleury are lulled to sleep back there because they see so little action or what? The bounces that have gone against them are crazy, especially in comparison to the lack of bounces that have gone in favor of their own team.

In a best of 7 series played in MLB or NBA, a lesser opponent can sometimes win a game here or there but usually the better team wins out. In hockey it seems like more luck is involved.

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

Is this a view shared by others? I honestly have never seen back-to-back series dominated so heavily by one team that has then struggled to win. The Knights/Canucks series was a carbon copy of this series with the Stars. Vegas has dominated in every facet of the game except the scoreboard.

Game after game they dominate control of the puck, they live inside the opponent's zone, they create way more scoring opportunities, they heavily out-shoot their opponent, and yet....they somehow repeatedly find ways to lose games 1-0 or 2-1. I'm not sure if it is because Lehner and Fleury are lulled to sleep back there because they see so little action or what? The bounces that have gone against them are crazy, especially in comparison to the lack of bounces that have gone in favor of their own team.

In a best of 7 series played in MLB or NBA, a lesser opponent can sometimes win a game here or there but usually the better team wins out. In hockey it seems like more luck is involved.

Dominating control of the puck doesn't mean much when don't do anything with it.  I would say, defensively, Dallas has been the better team and this series is being played more Dallas' way than Vegas'.  So, no I don't see that more luck is involved.