Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willie Cee

Shovels In The Dirt - New Aztec Stadium

On 12/9/2020 at 8:29 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Demo begins. 

C7591BDB-0251-42B3-AD24-A7C5E2D9951C.jpeg

It brings a tear to my eye.

I watched it get built as a kid. My Dad took me to my first live fb game and the first game played at The Murph. Chargers vs Lions Aug 1967.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, SpartanDude said:

Those lower seats had incredibly bad sight lines.  It was no wonder that they tarped them off for SDSU games. 

The first fifteen rows or so, you had to stand to see above the players on the sideline. Which meant everyone ten rows behind you had to stand as well.

The Field Level seats were better suited to baseball.

Americans Mayor

50 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It brings a tear to my eye.

I watched it get built as a kid. My Dad took me to my first live fb game and the first game played at The Murph. Chargers vs Lions Aug 1967.

That's a cool memory for you.  I was only there once; in 2012.  That was the David Fales led 38-34 comeback victory.   We took the green line trolley from our hotel in Mission Valley to the stadium.   That trip is a good memory for me. 

2 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

It was designed as a multi-purpose stadium, which was all the rage back in those days. 

It won a lot of Architecture awards and was lauded for having the movable field level seats. Terrible seats for FB. Great for everything else.

I saw concerts, Billy Graham, and loads of sporting events in that building. Things do change.

I actually saw the Pads play a getaway day game on a Thursday, the Aztecs on Saturday, and my dad finished the Trifecta with a Charger game on Sunday.

The field was pretty torn up after that weekend.

Americans Mayor

Yeah I remember it being built. I played on the field a couple times in PopWarner playoffs. Saw a bunch of Charger and Aztec games. Every game Faulk played there. Bunch of soccer games. Saw the last game the Pads played there. Sad.   

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I was there for the 2015 Boise-NIU Poinsettia Bowl.  Took a picture with Buster Bronco.

My only Aztec game was 2012 vs UNLV.

1 hour ago, dshawfan said:

Played on it once HS FB Championship game, 1979, was shocked how crappy the field was. 

Coached on it once, 2004.

0-2 🙄

What was your school and who did you lose to on both occasions ?

I graduated Patrick Henry inn1978.

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

What was your school and who did you lose to on both occasions ?

I graduated Patrick Henry inn1978.

Played for Granite Hills. Beat Vista in the quarters, Patrick Henry in the semifinals and got beat by Morse in the finals, 28-7.

Coached at Brawley. Beat Saints in quarters, Dons (Uni then, Cathedral Catholic now)  in semifinals. Lost to Valley Center in 04, 38-36

On a more positive note, made 1 appearance in 2017 in CIF D3 baseball finals, and won 2-0 versus Serra. 

23 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Still shocking to see this happening.  This is the old trolley stop to the student gates shot right there.  

Driving by on the freeway feels post apocalyptic 

23 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Still shocking to see this happening.  This is the old trolley stop to the student gates shot right there.  

It took them a long time to demo the east end stand added for the ‘98 SB. Once they got through that it’s been going much quicker. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I had to wait at the stadium station one time on the way to Softball game.  and this character and I got to talking about Trump. Full blown TDSer. I paid him $50 to create a MWCBOARD acct and he posted here for a good bit. What a hoot!

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif