Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

So which two MW teams have been talking to the AAC

7 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I played high school football in Tennessee. Football is football there and it's big. You know this. Memphis should be averaging way above 30,000 during it's worse years. Look at UT. Derek Dooley was stinking out the joint and the Vol Navy still came in, Tyson Lark was still packed with cars, Calhoons on the river was fill of drunks before kickoff, flags were hanging out of Andy Holts windows and 90,000 people showed up to watch to watch Bama beat them by 40.

I noticed you didn't mention ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane. Aresco should of stuck with 10.

UT is a very different animal. Large land grant institution (est in the late 1700's) whereas Memphis was a small teachers college located along the RR tracks on the outskirts of the city. (est in 1912)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

This makes no sense. Why would you want BYU only? BYU can afford the travel, has a national fan base, they suck ass and will be Boise's bitch like the rest of Utah, and would be one of the better teams in the conference most years. If you go for BYU you get the whole damn thing. It's worth it and foolish not too. You folks from the AAC board love these conferences with football and basketball only members. To this day you still bring up VCU and Dayton as basketball only. What would be the point?

Well Boise has no shot so why are you worried about it?

BYU's biggest issue is it has no access to the NY6 once it has a loss, being in the AAC changes that. BYU is by far the best program not in the P5 or the AAC.

Olympic only adds are cheap, good ones more than pay for themselves with NCAA bids, at 800k a game for 6 years the money adds up quick with a sweet sixteen run basically paying for the 2m they will get in conference media money. They make two of those type runs in six years and they make the conference money or pay off another Olympic only. 

But again you all are not welcomed there, SDSU is generally liked and actually missed, Boise was like matrixing a bullet. The AAC is glad you will always be someone elses headache.

1 minute ago, JoeBlo said:

Well Boise has no shot so why are you worried about it?

BYU's biggest issue is it has no access to the NY6 once it has a loss, being in the AAC changes that. BYU is by far the best program not in the P5 or the AAC.

Olympic only adds are cheap, good ones more than pay for themselves with NCAA bids, at 800k a game for 6 years the money adds up quick with a sweet sixteen run basically paying for the 2m they will get in conference media money. They make two of those type runs in six years and they make the conference money or pay off another Olympic only. 

But again you all are not welcomed there, SDSU is generally liked and actually missed, Boise was like matrixing a bullet. The AAC is glad you will always be someone elses headache.

plus, it would a LOT easier for AF to nab the occasional auto-bid out of a Summit/WAC level conference than the MWC. You guys can get two checks a year...

6.94 million x.7 (football is 70% of a share) is 4.98 million...not bad when you get a second check from another conference.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

42 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I'm all about greed! No issue with me as a fan that Boise State went after the best deal at the time. While I can agree with much of what you say above, I think what drives the consipiracy's longevity is that no one can figure out why the BEv2 added Tulane. I know there was a ton of "twitter shock" from some pretty credible sports reporters and I really don't see any benefits outside of Tulane's academic prestige (which has nothing to do with TV contracts, football $, better matchups, attendance, etc.)

Truly as a Boise State fan, I really, really wanted Boise State to stay in the then BEv2 (and now the AAC) so the program could continue to grow. With the loss of Utah and TCU and to a lesser extent, BYU, the MWC just became a slightly improved WAC.

Tulane is like a secondary choice for the east coast kids who don't make Ivy. They have a substantial alumni base in the mega cities over there. They fit well with the C7 in being high academic small privates. New Orleans is a solid football market. The only thing they didn't check was athletic competitiveness.

31 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Part of the problem with AAC's attendance numbers is the advantage they do have...generally larger schools in bigger metros than the MWC. Should be more than an approximate 7k average attendance lead IMO.

Its is a lot more if you pull out the privates. Tulsa is 4k, SMU and Tulane are twice that size maybe a bit bigger. Those are the three lowest by far now UConn is gone. They also have struggled. Tulane just had its first back to back bowls in decades. Tulsa has a recent ten win season buy has been bad 6/8 years now. SMU had its first good season in forever. They depend on community support with lower alumni bases than the 60k+ Florida schools.

15 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

But you weren't responding to me anymore. That list is like 8 years old too, is this where you got your Boise to the AAC scoop?

Quit listening to BYU fans, I'm not a UTEP fan 🤣

You letting stunner lead you around is perhaps the funniest thing of a hilarious run of stupidity.

10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

plus, it would a LOT easier for AF to nab the occasional auto-bid out of a Summit/WAC level conference than the MWC. You guys can get two checks a year...

6.94 million x.7 (football is 70% of a share) is 4.98 million...not bad when you get a second check from another conference.

Which is why the WCC is better, they will get more credit money, more media money, the sports besides basketball will be very competitive puts them in California a lot. Similar high standard institutions with small enrollments. 

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

True story:

When I was living in Knoxville I used to have to drive to Strawberry Plains to work. I worked at a place called Sea Ray. Made fibreglass boats. They also have a facility in Florida.

Well there was a guy who worked there. Dumb as +++++. I mean he really was just stupid. He lives in Maynardville which is basically what a low income hillbilly city / county would look like. We made good money but he always eore the same clothes, and fit the part of a white trash hillbilly with badly messed up teeth who liked Kid Rock. Damn he was dumb. And always broke. Always asking for something. He was dumb and annoying..

Well, found out he was from a long line of inbreeding mixed with drug abuse. He liked his pills. Always talked about drinking. He was hard to understand. Just sounded like babble and he would never shut up. Dude knew everything! Found out after his mom died that both sets of his grandparents were brother and sister. His mom was married to her first cousin and rumor was he was her father's who of course, was married to his sister.

In short, it didn't seem right to make fun of him anymore. We felt bad for him. He had no siblings, he was 19 or 20 and just hard to look at and even harder to be close to him. That smell from chain smoking and sweat, not bathing. I figured he would never get married. If he brought up women it was usually him laying a girl in pills or coke. He was eventually fired for slicing his hand open and failing a drug test.

Anyway, that is why I choose to ignore you @JoeBlo. I feel sorry for you. You're just not interesting. 

TL:DR

I thought you were done with me? Yet you keep @ me your hilarious. I'm sure this was mostly about how hurt and correct you are. Boise's stuck bro...

7 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I am a repetitive poster and I am repeating now.

Make the MW a football only conference and let the members  go off into olympic sports conferences that make geographic and financial sense.

I think that’s a pretty interesting idea. I think BYU would probably take the opportunity to get out of the WCC, bring Gonzaga with them, and handpick some MWC schools (and maybe Hawaii) to start up a new conference. 

A "temporary membership" for 2020 doesn't make any sense from the AAC's perspective, unless it was a deliberate stepping stone to permanent membership.  Individual teams from the AAC are free to negotiate with Boise, Air Force, whoever to fill out gaps in their schedules, if those schools are willing to defy the MWC.  There's no advantage to the AAC taking on a role in the scheduling at a Conference level.

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Just to weigh in as to why I don't think any of this happens.

Calhoun has complained about being in the MWC.  The reason for his complaint was the travel.  If the command structure at AFA agree with him, they're not jumping to the AAC.

Speaking of travel.  Boise is no picnic for fans to travel to.  Good luck getting a direct flight from Memphis, etc.  Same goes for Laramie and Logan.  Even CSU is a 45 minute drive or a change of planes in Denver.

It's a lateral move for anyone in the MWC.  Nobody's going to jump unless there is a true western division formed (at least 5 MWC schools joining).

The rumor was that two MWC AD's contacted AAC AD's as I read it.  AD's call AD's for football games.  Presidents call presidents and commissioners for conference jumping.

Much ado about nothing.

additionally there's always been value from having conference teams in the same geographical region

-  there's added interest when Boise plays at Fresno or at UNLV/Reno because 40% of Boise's football roster is from California, that's typically a quick drive for family/friends. Contrast that to a Boise game vs. South Florida.  Does Boise want to play zero games in California?

- SDSU can bring 8k fans to MWC Tourney basketball  game in Las Vegas.  They'd probably bring less than 500 to an AAC Tourney game in Dallas

- when CSU plays Wyoming/Air Force there's more emotion because of proximity. There's almost zero interest when CSU plays Cincy, Memphis or SMU

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

additionally there's always been value from having conference teams in the same geographical region

-  there's added interest when Boise plays at Fresno or at UNLV/Reno because 40% of Boise's football roster is from California, that's typically a quick drive for family/friends. Contrast that to a Boise game vs. South Florida.  Does Boise want to play zero games in California?

- SDSU can bring 8k fans to MWC Tourney basketball  game in Las Vegas.  They'd probably bring less than 500 to an AAC Tourney game in Dallas

- when CSU plays Wyoming/Air Force there's more emotion because of proximity. There's almost zero interest when CSU plays Cincy, Memphis or SMU

There is possible appeal of playing schools in Texas...

I think the MWC or PAC12 could add some Texas schools (Central Time Zone) and both would be fine.  TCU worked out well in the MWC.

But, beyond that, I agree.  Makes no sense for a school in the Rocky Mountains to be in a conference with schools in Florida, Philadelphia, Ohio, Maryland, East Carolina, Memphis..

Only exception that might make sense is Air Force.

30 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

There is possible appeal of playing schools in Texas...

I think the MWC or PAC12 could add some Texas schools (Central Time Zone) and both would be fine.  TCU worked out well in the MWC.

But, beyond that, I agree.  Makes no sense for a school in the Rocky Mountains to be in a conference with schools in Florida, Philadelphia, Ohio, Maryland, East Carolina, Memphis..

Only exception that might make sense is Air Force.

At 14 FB schools and 16 BB schools the AAC members in the west wouldn't have to play east of texas except for rare occasions. 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

At 14 FB schools and 16 BB schools the AAC members in the west wouldn't have to play east of texas except for rare occasions. 

I guess it is more doable if you are talking football only membership (which no major conference has that right now, except for Navy).

But if it includes basketball and all other sports, I think it would be expensive and create problems for athletes.   Imagine women's soccer having to travel 4 to 5 hour flights, just to play a conference soccer game.  Or tennis, or golf, or volleyball, or something...

You'd know more than I would.   Wouldn't SDSU's baseball team (for example) have a ton of travel if it was invited to the AAC?  

45 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I guess it is more doable if you are talking football only membership (which no major conference has that right now, except for Navy).

But if it includes basketball and all other sports, I think it would be expensive and create problems for athletes.   Imagine women's soccer having to travel 4 to 5 hour flights, just to play a conference soccer game.  Or tennis, or golf, or volleyball, or something...

You'd know more than I would.   Wouldn't SDSU's baseball team (for example) have a ton of travel if it was invited to the AAC?  

Many of the schools in Texas don't want to add schools in the pacific time zone due to travel.  Pacific time zone schools are added for window 4 TV unless you are USC or maybe Oregon.  Meaning that Texas schools playing in CA would have games that end at 11-11:30 PT and wouldn't get back to their campus by at least 6-7am CT.  I know Gary Patterson was vocal about not wanting to add any schools to the Big 12 from western time zones because he said he'd experienced that before and it was miserable.

I think a combo of AFA/CSU/UNM or WYO could work for the AAC.  Those schools are close enough to each other and to western AAC schools to lessen the travel burden and make all sports a possibility.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

My point is for a school like SDSU, a conference that is split in half around Texas so Oly's are played regionally gets rid of that issue and travel becomes barely worse than the MW. In the example of bb, you can use divisions to limit BB games east of texas to as little as 2 or 3 a year if that.