Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

So which two MW teams have been talking to the AAC

10 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I have a hard time believing Boise will throw there basketball program to the WAC. Now Air Force is another story.

AF Olympic sports could actually compete and win in the WAC.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

If I was the AD at Air Force, I'd be talking to Aresco. Obviously AF has talked to Navy because of Air Force wanting to play Navy this year.

Here is why I have doubts about Air Force going to the AAC in football. I have read the Navy wouldn't want that. Read it on the AAC board. Is there any truth to that? Would Navy attempt to block Air Force joining the conference full time?

Despite rumors, BSU and SDSU didn't leave the Big East on bad terms. And Aresco likes BYU. He is one the BYU sports podcast every week it seems. Too me, it seems Aresco really wants Army and BYU. Air Force would be the perfect 14th member. They won't go with 13 and they can't stay at 11. If Covid shits football down early this year, I think the AAC will be extremely active in getting something done. Army's mind is set. BYU's is most likely as well but the Cougar Board had a poll today and most fans want to join the AAC. Does their fans think the same as the AD and B.O.D?

Its likely with a BYU add they would stay at 12. But we both no BYU is a long shot. A very long shot. But BSU and SDSU or CSU? That's doable. Would taking say, Boise State and SDSU get BYU to come? That might actually get BYU thinking a bit more. But I personally doubt it. 

Army doesn't want us, it's unrequited love. Now, if we could get BYU football only, cool...add them and be done. but AF checks all the boxes and actually has a reason to jump now.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, Ibanez said:

The WAC isn't a solution. Their members would leave as soon as any other offer comes up. And I'm doubting Air Force wants to have a rivalry with Utah Valley.

NMSU, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley State, Seattle, Cal Baptist, Dixie State (Utah), etc. they can compete with and beat teams like that...nabbing an auto-bid from the WAC is no different than an auto-bid from the Summit League

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Well you're not Air Force to start with, who is right next to Denver, which means it's not really an expansion west anyway.

Boise has no where to go, it's been several days and not one word besides your throw shit against the wall theory and a C. Austin Cox tweet which is worth less than your throw it against the wall strategy.

BOISE IS STUCK IN THE MW, and will be forever now. You can either learn to play nice or look forward to taking beatings in the conference votes on anything that matters.

Personally I saw SDSU passing out pillow cases with bars of soap, so take that for what you will.

As opposed to Boise taking what alternative offer?

The AAC?   How is that any different than the MWC?   MWC = AAC

By your logic, I guess Memphis, Cinci, Houston, etc are also all "stuck" in the G5 AAC?

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This makes no sense. Why would you want BYU only? BYU can afford the travel, has a national fan base, they suck ass and will be Boise's bitch like the rest of Utah, and would be one of the better teams in the conference most years. If you go for BYU you get the whole damn thing. It's worth it and foolish not too. You folks from the AAC board love these conferences with football and basketball only members. To this day you still bring up VCU and Dayton as basketball only. What would be the point?

you have the opportunity for 'the best of both worlds'

the trick is to make sure you don't get more than 1-2 spots like that or they could band together as a voting bloc and have too much power.

I would prefer AF football only with St Louis Olympic sports.

12/12

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, bigd said:

I think the Summit would be a much better fit for Air Force's other sports, and they'd have a natural rival in University of Denver.

I agree, but the WAC would take them if it came down to it.

Summit League makes the most sense IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just to weigh in as to why I don't think any of this happens.

Calhoun has complained about being in the MWC.  The reason for his complaint was the travel.  If the command structure at AFA agree with him, they're not jumping to the AAC.

Speaking of travel.  Boise is no picnic for fans to travel to.  Good luck getting a direct flight from Memphis, etc.  Same goes for Laramie and Logan.  Even CSU is a 45 minute drive or a change of planes in Denver.

It's a lateral move for anyone in the MWC.  Nobody's going to jump unless there is a true western division formed (at least 5 MWC schools joining).

The rumor was that two MWC AD's contacted AAC AD's as I read it.  AD's call AD's for football games.  Presidents call presidents and commissioners for conference jumping.

Much ado about nothing.

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Funny you mention academics.

I was talking to a Rice fan (they actually exist!) last Spring, telling him that BYU fans are excited to play Houston.  Told him we've had some fun prior games with Houston.  The guy then got very pretentious, and kept saying "Houston High", and saying that Houston was a community college for the local kids.  I didn't want to get confrontational, so I ignored it.  You could tell he thought Rice was a big deal academically.

I have long advocated that Rice is a very odd fit in CUSA.  Not sure why Rice doesn't keep their football in CUSA, and join a private school league, either the WCC or in Texas.  But I guess they like CUSA for now.

Lols...it's called Cougar High for those jelly of our sustained success.  Rice is a fraction of UH enrollment.  Rice is AAU and I for one am super proud of that.  UH is VHRU Carnegie rankings, one step shy of lofty AAU.  We both have Phi Beta Kappa chapters (the hard to get ish uber academic fraternity). 

Rice and UH are in the same geo corridor about 5 miles apart with the honker Texas Medical Center in the middle.  If Rice were the size of say..Baylor for example..we two could really get our freak on and twin up for Big Stuff.  Rice is Rice. Small, intimate beautiful campus down the road a short bit and well situated with like a $4B endowment. 

Rice and UH really do not compete for enrollment.  As it should be with Rice.  They're liberal arts and have like 4,000 undergrads.  They're mission focused on what they do...get the best and brightest with like a 17% acceptance rate.  If Rice we're magically dropped into Vermont or Maine..Ivy League member easy...complete with Rice wonderful weirdness like Beer Bike, the basement bar with a secret knock, and their unique dorm system.  Once in a dorm you're in that 'college' as they call it. 

As much as there is the UH thing about Rice girls are ugly...they do like to hit up UH frat parties (Rice is non greek..it's the dorm 'college' system).

image.jpeg.909224a38e8007bee69ab63768037f42.jpeg       competing against the wildly diversity of UH

image.jpeg.aaffae1e63fae74871b2aa78a85c5b3e.jpeg

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

21 hours ago, pesik said:

1) i listened to a interview with kutstra when the boise left, the "changing circumstances of conference realignment" is definitely refering to the lost of members (c7, rutgers, Louisville).. in more detailed interviews.. when boise joined the big east (aac) the projected revenue was 7-9mill, after those schools left it was 3-4 million...and he said boise value warranted more than that amount. with the deal they had in the mwc (the sweetheart deal) they could generate more money 

2) the bigger picture in your point is that "becuase of tulane th aac counldnt make a true west"  with any basic research you would see that is false...the aac targeted numerous west teams prior to the addition of tulane and numerous west teams AFTER the addition of tulane. Fresno and UNLV both confirmed the aac reached out after the Tulane addition

link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8765156/big-east-talking-fresno-state-unlv-well-byu-report-says

facts: the real reason the aac didnt have a true west division is because Boise sabotaged it. there had been rumors of boise leaving up to 2 months before they left..months before the date of that article. Boise had already been working on deals in the backroom..ALL the mwc teams knew boise was likely coming back and saw no reason to leave.. the aac was attempting to make the best of the rest conference...boise looked out for itself and instead of lobbying teams to join..was telling teams they might return west if they gave the right deal

this is opinion: this is why "boise left becuase of tulane" is illogical to me..boise needed 2 strong entities bidding against each other to get the sweetheart deal..if boise had supported the west powers to the aac (and gotten west members) ..boise would have had no leverge to get a sweetheart deal (aac too strong, mwc to week)

--saying it had anything to do with tulane is looking for a scape goat using conspiracy theories...it had absolutely nothing to do with Tulane.. the real reason boise left is becuase of boise greed...if you want a "pro boise" answer a boise fan. you could twist it to say the reason boise left is the projection of the tv deal went from 8 mil to 3.5 mil..but i get why you guys constantly blame tulane, its easier to say its the other guys fault and not my teams evren if it isnt true 

I'm all about greed! No issue with me as a fan that Boise State went after the best deal at the time. While I can agree with much of what you say above, I think what drives the consipiracy's longevity is that no one can figure out why the BEv2 added Tulane. I know there was a ton of "twitter shock" from some pretty credible sports reporters and I really don't see any benefits outside of Tulane's academic prestige (which has nothing to do with TV contracts, football $, better matchups, attendance, etc.)

Truly as a Boise State fan, I really, really wanted Boise State to stay in the then BEv2 (and now the AAC) so the program could continue to grow. With the loss of Utah and TCU and to a lesser extent, BYU, the MWC just became a slightly improved WAC.

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Good man. I like how you thought about it before just jumping in. The AAC fans will tell you this guy doesn't get much right. He should of just copied Mark word for word for it to nake more sense about realignment. Bit as I stated earlier, he ended up just putting his own spin on it.

But I think you're wrong about it being a lateral move. It looks that way but every year it seems the AAC seperates itself from the rest of the G5 in football and basketball. The MWC has had two very good years in a row and yet the AAC was still ranked ahead of the MWC and a P5 conference in football. Same deal with hoops. They are just better.

If ESPN raises their payout (I personally like the MWC deal better) by adding three MWC teams or two MWC teams and BYU it probably becomes a no-brainer.  The AAC gets marketed more, is often mentioned when people talk about the P5, they outrecruit the MWC in a big way however, over the years I'd argue the MWC staffs have developed their players better. That's probably changing with the coaching turnover.

It just makes sense if you're Boise State, SDSU, CSU, UNLV, New Mexico. Boise State is a G5 darling and the other schools are in big markets. AF and BYU are national brands. The AAC already have a solid argument (according to ESPN) that a one loss AAC tram deserves to go to the playoff over an undefeated team in the other G5 conferences. That doesn't work for Boise State who even if they beat BYU last year wasn't a guaranteed lock to go. 

A hell of a lot better.  AAC is making better cash, but they are locked in for way too long in a business where media delivery is in constant flux.

1 minute ago, SparkysDad said:

Part of the problem with AAC's attendance numbers is the advantage they do have...generally larger schools in bigger metros than the MWC. Should be more than an approximate 7k average attendance lead IMO.

Hence why I call it a lateral move.  They get better pub, but they are still a G5 and still perform like a G5.

Ugh...so much internecine, yet interesting junks regarding attendance and other matters which can fluctuate.

Anyone care to drag up what matters a huge amount for our ultimate pay day....television ratings and market share.  That's what bumps Us all into bigger and better things; esp football.  Hoops is important too and my squad has no problem with that. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

14 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

A hell of a lot better.  AAC is making better cash, but they are locked in for way too long in a business where media delivery is in constant flux.

it's also a back loaded deal where we don't reach full payout for 3-4 years...that could also lead to stability which isn't a bad thing.

Memphis, Cincy, Houston, Navy, UCF, Temple, USF, SMU, Wichita State etc. I'm OK with being stuck in that conference

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I agree with this. UNLV and New Mexico's numbers are pathetic (Not even gonna mention SJSU). The fact Wyoming outdraws them is strange. And the AAC has way too many teams in ideal locations (like UNLV and NM) to be drawing less than 30,000. Tulsa I can understand. They have what? 4000 students? Memphis is in a football hotbed. The Liberty Bowl should be consistantly Sold out. Same as USF, SMU, and Houston.

Memphis football was consistently crap for decades. Memphis' football renaissance started in 2003 with DeAngelo Williams and it's been a SLOW build. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

it's also a back loaded deal where we don't reach full payout for 3-4 years...that could also lead to stability which isn't a bad thing.

You don't have to worry about stability any more than the MWC teams do.  Nobody is jumping from either conference to join anybody but a P5, and at that point the money won't matter anymore.  I always hear about the prospects of a BOR conference between the MWC and AAC.  I don't see that happening either.  If some of the P5 pull away and go semi-pro (unlikely, but could happen) I can see a number of BOR conferences forming/changing.  A three tier FBS with the bulk of the MWC/AAC joining the leftover P5's as the second tier.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

First of all Austin Cox is an idiot. He saw Mark Blaudschun ( Pretty sure it was him) tweet a few days ago that "The AAC "could" be looking out west again" and the he put his on spon on it. Then Mark deleted his tweet shortly after he posted it. Don't know why. But Austin had his story. But Austin has got more wrong that right. I just used his tweet because I don't like saying anything out of PM. For me, this board is big game. But most of these folks will tell you, I've got a Hell of of lot more right than wrong. Some months or weeks on advance.

So this is the last time I'm gonna reply to you. I don't give a shit if you believe me or think BSU is stuck in the MWC. I really don't. You're a UTEP fan. Why would I care about you or UTEP? I'm not here for you. I am here for MWC fans. And as long as they believe me, I'm good. And judging by how many PMs I get a day, I'm doing right by them. I give them way more info, links, no riddles or half truths then I do on the board.. What I tell them makes WAYYYY more sense. Anything I post here in the room is half joking or more of a "Well I think" followed by a leak. And it's worked for me. You don't understand this. But people who I talk to on PM will. Ask the owner of this board. He will tell you himself. You think he is gonna let me just spout nonsense without calling me out?

I get the C-USA board is empty and you don't have a beach like @Did I hear a WOOSH? that you can go to. But it seems weird you keep worrying about me. Peace. I'll talk to you again next year. Trust me, you will be the first person I call out to laugh at. In the meantime I'll laugh at you anytime lame ass UTEP comes up. :hahaha:

You are the second most full of bullshit poster on here, right after Stunner. I keep trying to tell you not to listen to BYU fans, you keep doing it, ask Wyoming and CSU about listening to BYU.

You have constantly been wrong and admited a week ago that your source was a reporter (which again isn't a source) who moved away. In this thread itself you have talked hell of trash and had zero you said verified. I called out the Cox tweet when you and stunner @ me earlier in the thread.

Since then I have just been calling you on your bullshitting, it's hilarious to watch you try and claim some sort of importance on an internet board and get your panties in a wad over the position Boise put themselves in. 

Boise should learn to play nice, this situation isn't going to change for a long time and trying to act tough is only making it worse. Air Force leaving and Hawaii going independent and Boise isn't even a footnote in FBS history.