Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

So which two MW teams have been talking to the AAC

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

They're a huge lot of backasswards toolsheds.  AAC has the South well covered with both Floridas and the Tulane.  We can ditch the tards of Directional Carolina easily IMO in favour of better things in the West with a limited number of expansion teams. 

East Carolina is like what in the Carnegie rankings of academic quality?  I'm thinking drive by JUCO, Jack In the Box taco standards. (Sidebar: Props to Tulsa re academic cred.. you're super stout re academic rankings. But you're like 4,000 people on campus with nary a draw for anything...see Rice). 

Funny you mention academics.

I was talking to a Rice fan (they actually exist!) last Spring, telling him that BYU fans are excited to play Houston.  Told him we've had some fun prior games with Houston.  The guy then got very pretentious, and kept saying "Houston High", and saying that Houston was a community college for the local kids.  I didn't want to get confrontational, so I ignored it.  You could tell he thought Rice was a big deal academically.

I have long advocated that Rice is a very odd fit in CUSA.  Not sure why Rice doesn't keep their football in CUSA, and join a private school league, either the WCC or in Texas.  But I guess they like CUSA for now.

Guest #1Stunner

I think BYU would be thrilled to have a  4 game, annual scheduling deal with the AAC, but I don't see BYU ever joining that league.

Very few BYU fans live in Memphis, Cinci, East Carolina, South and Centra Florida, Tulsa, or Philly....  It's not a BYU-interest league.  Only schools that can appeal to BYU are the Texas schools.

The MWC and AAC are virtually identical twins, prestige wise.  I think BYU has more geographic "relations" with Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, and California.  Boise is basically a family member... 

So, comparing the two G5 leagues is a wash.

I could see AFA joinng, though. AFA wants to be closer to Navy, and would be able to join the WCC for other sports.

MWC could then backfill with North Texas and Texas State (might actually improve the MWC, and would compete with the AAC in Texas).

51 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

They're a huge lot of backasswards toolsheds.  AAC has the South well covered with both Floridas and the Tulane.  We can ditch the tards of Directional Carolina easily IMO in favour of better things in the West with a limited number of expansion teams. 

East Carolina is like what in the Carnegie rankings of academic quality?  I'm thinking drive by JUCO, Jack In the Box taco standards. (Sidebar: Props to Tulsa re academic cred.. you're super stout re academic rankings. But you're like 4,000 people on campus with nary a draw for anything...see Rice). 

East Carolina: 228

Houston: 185

Boise State: 298-360 (they didn't bother differentiating between the worst universities in the nation)

55 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

favour?  classic English, I see.

45 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I was talking to a Rice fan (they actually exist!) last Spring, telling him that BYU fans are excited to play Houston.  Told him we've had some fun prior games with Houston.  The guy then got very pretentious, and kept saying "Houston High", and saying that Houston was a community college for the local kids.  I didn't want to get confrontational, so I ignored it.  You could tell he thought Rice was a big deal academically.

I have long advocated that Rice is a very odd fit in CUSA.  Not sure why Rice doesn't keep their football in CUSA, and join a private school league, either the WCC or in Texas.  But I guess they like CUSA for now.

Rice ventured west once before and as you can see, haven't really looked back since joining CUSA.  

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Question for those in the know..

Does the AAC still suffer from poor fan support?  Last time, it was posted on here that the AAC had very poor attendance at their football and basketball stadiums.   Maybe that has been forgotten during this pandemic (no fans at games).

But in a normal season, hard to get excited when the AAC struggles so much.   SMU, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, and a few others had empty stadiums.  Has that improved?

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

John David is probably the most astute, respected AD in the MWC right now.

@Fowl

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

giphy.gif

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Don't think UNLV would reach out to the AAC............might see AAC reaching out to UNLV though with new FB complex & Stadium 

AAC seems more desperate to gain something anything - UNLV FB is still not an enticement for most conferences unless they are playing the "come bet" (Craps table term) 

No, they wouldn’t.

kat.jpg

On 8/14/2020 at 11:26 PM, Headbutt said:

This is BS.  Why would the AAC think they had any chance competing with the Big 10 for CSU??

C'mon man!

I think it’s because the AAC is so impressed with all the student season ticket holders CSU has which is at the Power Conference level.

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

I think it’s because the AAC is so impressed with all the student season ticket holders CSU has which is at the Power Conference level.

Superior lifestyle.  C'mon.

8. Mountain West

Attendance 5-Year Average: 23,880.77

1 San Diego State

5-Year Average: 33407.40
2019 National Ranking: 65

2 Boise State

5-Year Average: 32829.80
2019 National Ranking: 68

3 Fresno State

5-Year Average: 29643.20
2019 National Ranking: 75

4 Air Force

5-Year Average: 27910.40
2019 National Ranking: 76

5 Colorado State

5-Year Average: 27484.20
2019 National Ranking: 77

6 Hawaii

5-Year Average: 24228.20
2019 National Ranking: 82

7 Wyoming

5-Year Average: 20365.40
2019 National Ranking: 93

8 Utah State

5-Year Average: 19786.40
2019 National Ranking: 96

9 New Mexico

5-Year Average: 19466.60
2019 National Ranking: 98

10 UNLV

5-Year Average: 18379.20
2019 National Ranking: 105

11 Nevada

5-Year Average: 18150.80
2019 National Ranking: 106

12 San Jose State

5-Year Average: 14917.60
2019 National Ranking: 121

American Athletic Conference

Attendance 5-Year Average: 29,724.85

1 East Carolina

5-Year Average: 38031.20
2019 National Ranking: 58
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 57

2 Memphis

5-Year Average: 37228.80
2019 National Ranking: 59
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 61

3 UCF

5-Year Average: 36009.80
2019 National Ranking: 61
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 63

4 USF

5-Year Average: 33171.60
2019 National Ranking: 66
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 66

5 Cincinnati

5-Year Average: 33123.80
2019 National Ranking: 67
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 71

6 Navy

5-Year Average: 32458.60
2019 National Ranking: 69
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 69

7 Houston

5-Year Average: 32174.40
2019 National Ranking: 70
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 68

8 Temple

5-Year Average: 31326.40
2019 National Ranking: 72
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 75

9 Connecticut

5-Year Average: 22899.00
2019 National Ranking: 85
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 83

10 SMU

5-Year Average: 21543.00
2019 National Ranking: 89
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 91

11 Tulane

5-Year Average: 20174.60
2019 National Ranking: 94
2019 Ranking (2018 season): 90

12 Tulsa

5-Year Average: 18630.80
2019 National Ranking: 104

You kind of suck at this Stunner, maybe you should take a sabbatical, rest up, maybe heal up, get rid of that so you are a ________ fan.

Get something new, maybe try to come back with a sock. Your decline is only exceeded by that of your football programs. Hopefully you still have some great ice cream in Utah or there really is no reason for that place to exist.

Guest #1Stunner

@JoeBlo

The AAC averages 29,000 fans per game!?!?

Those numbers are terrible!!!

How can anyone take the AAC "P6" campaign seriously when they have such poor fan support?  Those are the same attendance numbers the AAC had when they called themselves CUSA.  Those are G5.

Does the AAC have a plan to address this?  

I don't see any MWC schools seriously considering switching to the AAC.  

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

@JoeBlo

The AAC averages 29,000 fans per game!?!?

Those numbers are terrible!!!

How can anyone take the AAC "P6" campaign seriously when they have such poor fan support?  Those are the same attendance numbers the AAC had when they called themselves CUSA.  Those are G5.

Does the AAC have a plan to address this?  

I don't see any MWC schools seriously considering switching to the AAC.  

i cant tell if you are being serious or just being sarcastic.. your point is so flawed i think you are joking, but you might be serious...stadium capacity is a thing.stadium cap and fan support are different things .. game attendance and national fan support are different things 

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, pesik said:

i cant tell if you are being serious or just being sarcastic.. your point is so flawed i think you are joking, but you might be serious...stadium capacity is a thing.stadium cap and fan support are different things .. game attendance and national fan support are different things 

We've had AAC posters telling us on here that the AAC is a "P6" conference.  I thought your numbers must be improving....

Some even argued the AAC is on par with the PAC12!!

But the facts don't bear that out.

Apparently, the AAC hasn't ever moved beyond its CUSA roots.  Only getting 29,000 fans per game!?!! (30K if we remove UConn).  Not even ONE school averaging 40K???? That's G5!!!  Why the poor fan support?

Clearly, the AAC currently can't support larger, Power 5 level football or stadiums.

From the look of things, the AAC = MWC.  Both upper level G5.  Not terrible.  But no new growth.  Certainly way below the Power 5.

The AAC has poor fan support.  I don't see any MWC school interested in switching, except maybe Air Force (who is comfortable being in a G5 with Navy).

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

We've had AAC posters telling us on here that the AAC is a "P6" conference.  I thought your numbers must be improving....

Some even argued the AAC is on par with the PAC12!!

But the facts don't bear that out.

Apparently, the AAC hasn't ever moved beyond its CUSA roots.  Only getting 29,000 fans per game!?!! (30K if we remove UConn).  Not even ONE school averaging 40K???? That's G5!!!  Why the poor fan support?

Clearly, the AAC currently can't support larger, Power 5 level football or stadiums.

From the look of things, the AAC = MWC.  Both upper level G5.  Not terrible.  But no new growth.  Certainly way below the Power 5.

The AAC has poor fan support.  I don't see any MWC school interested in switching, except maybe Air Force (who is comfortable being in a G5 with Navy).

UConn removed themselves...the P6 thing was/is a marketing ploy (a good one) to get us a better TV deal and it worked IMHO. AF football only is what we want and this would be the perfect time to jump.

the AAC is the 'tweener' conf.

MWC 23,880 -- AAC 30,352 -- ACC 48,432

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

UConn removed themselves...the P6 thing was/is a marketing ploy (a good one) to get us a better TV deal and it worked IMHO. AF football only is what we want and this would be the perfect time to jump.

AAC should for sure try and get Air Force.

They'd be perfect for the conference (military academies compete well at the G5 level). 

Air Force turned down the BIG12, and said that P5 would be too difficult.

I believe AFA averages about 28,000 fans per game, which makes them a good fit in the AAC.

Not sure how the MWC would respond.   They might prefer contraction and getting back down to 10 schools, especially if SJSU drops football. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

AAC should for sure try and get Air Force.

They'd be perfect for the conference (military academies compete well at the G5 level). 

Air Force turned down the BIG12, and said that P5 would be too difficult.

I believe AFA averages about 28,000 fans per game, which makes them a good fit in the AAC.

Not sure how the MWC would respond.   They might prefer contraction and getting back down to 10 schools, especially if SJSU drops football. 

being confronted with potentially not having a football season could make the decision for them.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

being confronted with potentially not having a football season could make the decision for them.

AAC would have 13 football schools.

My guess is that you guys would prefer an even number.  

Does this open up the door for adding another CUSA school (much more likely, than the MWC).

Top AAC candidates to be the 14th School

1.  Liberty (makes a ton of sense)

2.  Marshall (history with CUSA)

3.  Southern Miss (traditional rival of the AAC schools, with a CUSA pedigree)

4.  Army (but they left CUSA once before)

EDIT!!! (forgot a UConn leaving).  Scratch above!