Jump to content
An Admirer from the East

Power 4 CFB Playoff

Recommended Posts

AAC is planning to play and S Fl coach tweeted out:

New South Florida coach Jeff Scott, wants the AAC to join the ACC, Big 12 and SEC to form a “Power Four.” “The New Power 4.... (2020) SEC, ACC, BIG XII, AAC. Conference champions go to @CFBPlayoff #WeWantToPlay," Scott tweeted Tuesday afternoon. Along with USF, the AAC also includes notable “Group of 5” programs like Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, Navy, SMU and Houston.https://247sports.com/Article/USF-Bulls-Football-Jeff-Scott-wants-AAC-in-Power-Four-ACC-Big-12-SEC-College-Football-Playoff-Big-Ten-Pac-12-postpone-fall-season-Clemson-Tigers-150154519/

If AAC plays a full season, regardless of the "Power 4 Playoff", projecting forward, I think the MWC falls much further behind. Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, An Admirer from the East said:

AAC is planning to play and S Fl coach tweeted out:

New South Florida coach Jeff Scott, wants the AAC to join the ACC, Big 12 and SEC to form a “Power Four.” “The New Power 4.... (2020) SEC, ACC, BIG XII, AAC. Conference champions go to @CFBPlayoff #WeWantToPlay," Scott tweeted Tuesday afternoon. Along with USF, the AAC also includes notable “Group of 5” programs like Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, Navy, SMU and Houston.https://247sports.com/Article/USF-Bulls-Football-Jeff-Scott-wants-AAC-in-Power-Four-ACC-Big-12-SEC-College-Football-Playoff-Big-Ten-Pac-12-postpone-fall-season-Clemson-Tigers-150154519/

If AAC plays a full season, regardless of the "Power 4 Playoff", projecting forward, I think the MWC falls much further behind. Thoughts?

 

If it goes terribly they will find themselves behind the 8 ball and the MW will look much better. 

Too many unknowns to gloat one way or the other. Some universities may not survive this pandemic either way, much less college sports.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, An Admirer from the East said:

AAC is planning to play and S Fl coach tweeted out:

New South Florida coach Jeff Scott, wants the AAC to join the ACC, Big 12 and SEC to form a “Power Four.” “The New Power 4.... (2020) SEC, ACC, BIG XII, AAC. Conference champions go to @CFBPlayoff #WeWantToPlay," Scott tweeted Tuesday afternoon. Along with USF, the AAC also includes notable “Group of 5” programs like Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, Navy, SMU and Houston.https://247sports.com/Article/USF-Bulls-Football-Jeff-Scott-wants-AAC-in-Power-Four-ACC-Big-12-SEC-College-Football-Playoff-Big-Ten-Pac-12-postpone-fall-season-Clemson-Tigers-150154519/

If AAC plays a full season, regardless of the "Power 4 Playoff", projecting forward, I think the MWC falls much further behind. Thoughts?

I want a lot of things too.  You really think if football is played (big if) the SEC is going to give up a likely second spot in the playoffs to the AAC?  😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kinda wondering when something like this would be drug up.  I doubt it gets any serious leg traction.  It was Tuesday and it's only a misc tweet.  If it aint an article on CBSSports online (even tho 247 sports is a part of that), it doesn't have traction.  And that's that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

I want a lot of things too.  You really think if football is played (big if) the SEC is going to give up a likely second spot in the playoffs to the AAC?  😂

Question I had asked was REGARDLESS of the Power 4 Playoff concept which is ridiculous, they're gonna get lots of media coverage and hype. Im sure many teams will be ranked in top 25 for obvious reasons. Bowl slots???? Thats gotta have lots of long term benefits IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take away Oregon from the PAC-12, Clemson from the ACC, and Oklahoma from the Big-12 and I'd argue the AAC is already equal to these conferences.

The SEC and B1G are still on another level.

The PAC-12 and ACC's problem is all of the teams are basically the same, especially in the ACC. The problem with the Big -12 is teams go from hot to cold and besides Oklahoma, no one else is consistent. Look at Baylor. They are all over the place. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am flattered that AAC gets its lofty attention from time to time and I'm happy with its relative success.  However, as long as Tulsa and East Carolina are drug around like dead wood ding dongs in their tiny CUSA-like markets...that's the noose around our AAC necks.  Other ties in the noose rope too and all of that can be overcome by AAC/MWC Unification Theory.

With more editing on the AAC side as required.  Ya'll know my main mantra....AAC/MWC Unification. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An auto-bid for the AAC?  No way.  If there's a season and if there's a playoff - both big ifs - the playoff bids will go to the Big 12 champ, ACC champ, SEC champ and SEC runner-up.  With little or no OOC play between AAC and P5 conference teams prior to the playoff that's a near-foregone conclusion.

And I don't say that as an AAC-hater.  An auto-bid for the AAC would set the precedent for the top G5 team to participate in a future 8-team playoff.  In that respect it would be good for the MWC.  I just don't see the Big 12, ACC and especially SEC going along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

An auto-bid for the AAC?  No way.  If there's a season and if there's a playoff - both big ifs - the playoff bids will go to the Big 12 champ, ACC champ, SEC champ and SEC runner-up.  With little or no OOC play between AAC and P5 conference teams prior to the playoff that's a near-foregone conclusion.

And I don't say that as an AAC-hater.  An auto-bid for the AAC would set the precedent for the top G5 team to participate in a future 8-team playoff.  In that respect it would be good for the MWC.  I just don't see the Big 12, ACC and especially SEC going along.

 

Several AAC schools have games with the ACC or Big XII including UCF, with some of the MAC games gone and it looking like the CUSA teams will struggle to meet ACC covid requirements it's likely they will pick up more games. The modified rankings also have like four AAC top 25 teams: Navy, Cincinnati, UCF, and Memphis. 

Of course next tuesday could be the end of it all so I feel like your ifs are on the money and would take that no season bet before a season finishing with an AAC team in the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coog kev said:

I was kinda wondering when something like this would be drug up.  I doubt it gets any serious leg traction.  It was Tuesday and it's only a misc tweet.  If it aint an article on CBSSports online (even tho 247 sports is a part of that), it doesn't have traction.  And that's that....

Nobody, and I mean nobody associated with a P5 school wants to elevate another G5 school or G5 conference.  If anything this pandemic will serve to widen the gap between the P5 and G5 and perhaps even speed up an official breakaway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

 

Several AAC schools have games with the ACC or Big XII including UCF, with some of the MAC games gone and it looking like the CUSA teams will struggle to meet ACC covid requirements it's likely they will pick up more games. The modified rankings also have like four AAC top 25 teams: Navy, Cincinnati, UCF, and Memphis. 

Of course next tuesday could be the end of it all so I feel like your ifs are on the money and would take that no season bet before a season finishing with an AAC team in the playoffs.

I doubt that the AAC will meet ACC covid requirements.  No matter what they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Take away Oregon from the PAC-12, Clemson from the ACC, and Oklahoma from the Big-12 and I'd argue the AAC is already equal to these conferences.

The SEC and B1G are still on another level.

The PAC-12 and ACC's problem is all of the teams are basically the same, especially in the ACC. The problem with the Big -12 is teams go from hot to cold and besides Oklahoma, no one else is consistent. Look at Baylor. They are all over the place. 

But what if the ACC added Boise State, Colorado State, and Air Force? Or maybe San Diego State if they could learn that Boise makes the choices. :hmmm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

AAC is planning to play and S Fl coach tweeted out:

New South Florida coach Jeff Scott, wants the AAC to join the ACC, Big 12 and SEC to form a “Power Four.” “The New Power 4.... (2020) SEC, ACC, BIG XII, AAC. Conference champions go to @CFBPlayoff #WeWantToPlay," Scott tweeted Tuesday afternoon. Along with USF, the AAC also includes notable “Group of 5” programs like Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, Navy, SMU and Houston.https://247sports.com/Article/USF-Bulls-Football-Jeff-Scott-wants-AAC-in-Power-Four-ACC-Big-12-SEC-College-Football-Playoff-Big-Ten-Pac-12-postpone-fall-season-Clemson-Tigers-150154519/

If AAC plays a full season, regardless of the "Power 4 Playoff", projecting forward, I think the MWC falls much further behind. Thoughts?

The SEC would take all 4 spots given a chance. They'd argue their 4th best team is heads and shoulders above the #1 team in the AAC. I'm not sure I'd disagree with them.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I doubt that the AAC will meet ACC covid requirements.  No matter what they are.

 

Actually they already are. They announced first and are in line exactly with the ACC. UCF is playing at Georgia Tech for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...