Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

the 90 minute presentation that flipped the PAC12 from playing to not

When the Pac-12 Conference announced Tuesday it was postponing its fall football season, it was hard for some of the league’s coaches not to think about the Zoom call they were on the night before with athletic directors, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott and the conference’s medical experts.

A Powerpoint presentation by one of the doctors left many of them speechless. It had addressed the issue of heart-related concerns stemming from COVID-19, one of the coaches told The Athletic . The presentation cited the case of 27-year-old Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez, who has been sidelined for the rest of this season because of a heart ailment. It addressed a freshman Indiana offensive lineman, Brady Feeney, who reportedly had to be taken to the ER and whose mother has spoken out about her concerns of lingering heart issues from COVID-19 infection; 27-year-old former Florida State basketball player Michael Ojo, who had recovered from COVID-19 but died earlier this month after suffering a heart attack; and a 19-year-old former high school football player from Puyallup, Wash., who died from COVID.

The doctors talked about how there were several cases in the Big Ten of players dealing with myocarditis, a rare heart condition that can be caused by a viral infection, and they discussed a study published last month in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The 90-minute call also focused on how much the Pac-12 would need to ramp up testing, especially for its five programs in hot-spot locations. They explained the need to increase their capacity to the point that they could test daily, although one of the medical experts said one of the hot-spot areas wouldn’t be able to get to that point until November.

Before Monday night’s Zoom call, one Pac-12 coach said he thought his peers and the conference ADs were overwhelmingly in favor of having their teams doing walkthroughs and getting back out on the field, but that all changed in those 90 minutes.

https://theathletic.com/1993267/2020/08/13/feldman-the-medical-information-that-led-the-pac-12-to-pass-on-football-in-2020/

I'm not advocating whether the PAC-12 is right or wrong.  There are a dozen different medical opinions on whether sports can be safely played with COVI-19, and there isn't a rock solid answer one way or another. You could go either way and be correct and or be wrong.

a little bit more from that article: (apologies its an Athletic article)

On Wednesday, the Big 12 Conference announced that its presidents had voted to continue efforts to play the 2020 season and rolled out its fall schedule, beginning on Sept. 12. Bob Bowlsby, the Big 12 commissioner, said the conference decided to move forward with the 2020 season because, “nobody has told us that it’s poorly advised to go forward and do what we’re doing. If we get to the place where our doctors and scientists say, ‘You know what, you guys got two wheels off the tracks and you’re headed for a train wreck,’ we will pivot that day.”

“I guess they didn’t hear the same talk we heard,” the Pac-12 coach said Wednesday night. “I’m kinda baffled. They have to have been presented different information. Did they not see it because they don’t want to see it?

“Everybody else (in other conferences) seems to be saying, ‘We can identify (myocarditis).’ Do they just take him out (of action)? What if he has long-term issues from it? If there’s a kid who had a heart issue on my team, I’d be very afraid. We want to prevent them from getting it.”

Who's sons, and therefore, future kids/grand-kids for their families, are these conferences willing to sacrifice, so that people can watch a game, from the safety of their living room tv's? And also, give thought to the fact that's it's not just the players... There are coaches out there that are NOT in the best of health themselves! How many head coaches, OC's/DCs, and positional coaches, are we willing to endanger, for the sake of sports on the field and tv? This is going to be a very scary and difficult 'live experiment' this country is going to witness.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

5 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Who's sons, and therefore, future kids/grand-kids for their families, are these conferences willing to sacrifice, so that people can watch a game, from the safety of their living room tv's? And also, give thought to the fact that's it's not just the players... There are coaches out there that are NOT in the best of health themselves! How many head coaches, OC's/DCs, and positional coaches, are we willing to endanger, for the sake of sports on the field and tv? This is going to be a very scary and difficult 'live experiment' this country is going to witness.

Roderick John Long Jr. is in great shape. He’s not afraid of the virus.  He could kick the asses of 95% of the guys on this board.  He was born in Provo, UT to a BYU football player.  He spent four years converting the defense of the Wyoming Cowboys from pansies to the force they are now.  The Wyoming Cowboys owe a debt of gratitude to Roderick John Long Jr. and I suggest an annual Roderick John Long Jr game that pitts the University of Wyoming Cowboys football team against the Bringham Young University Fighting Cougars.  The game could be played every year at each other’s stadiums OR the annual game could be played halfway between the schools in Rock Springs, WY at Tiger stadium at Rock Springs High School.  I suggest the later. 

@#1Stunner @robe @Wyovanian does this sound amenable?  I’m thinking we can get the Toms together to agree to the revival of this series.

20 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm not advocating whether the PAC-12 is right or wrong.  There are a dozen different medical opinions on whether sports can be safely played with COVI-19, and there isn't a rock solid answer one way or another. You could go either way and be correct and or be wrong.

All I will say is the top medical schools reside in the PAC-12, Big 10 and Ivy League.  None of them are playing fall sports.   If you want to trust your kids health to Docs at the University of Mississippi or Arkansas go right ahead.  

14 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Except that generally it's rare. It's been a much more common problem with the covid 19. THAT's the problem with the virus, not the pneumonia and other issues.

And they don’t know how rare it is at this point. It occurs in kids who are asymptomatic.   

5 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

All I will say is the top medical schools reside in the PAC-12, Big 10 and Ivy League.  None of them are playing fall sports.   If you want to trust your kids health to Docs at the University of Mississippi or Arkansas go right ahead.  

One of the medical advisors for the Big 12 works at the Mayo Clinic and Duke Medical School.  Went to school at Duke.  Top 10 medical school.

Just saying.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

One of the medical advisors for the Big 12 works at the Mayo Clinic and Duke Medical School.  Went to school at Duke.  Top 10 medical school.

Just saying.

Yeah I know.  The South has a couple more.  Rice Tulane Vanderbilt ....  

the real generalization is they are all in states where Republican Pressure to play will over ride Medical advice.   But didn’t want to turn this into politics on the sports board even though I strongly suspect politics over medicine is behind many schools playing.   

Politics over medicine is also why I bet Boise and AF look to play with the AAC.

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

Roderick John Long Jr. is in great shape. He’s not afraid of the virus.  He could kick the asses of 95% of the guys on this board.  He was born in Provo, UT to a BYU football player.  He spent four years converting the defense of the Wyoming Cowboys from pansies to the force they are now.  The Wyoming Cowboys owe a debt of gratitude to Roderick John Long Jr. and I suggest an annual Roderick John Long Jr game that pitts the University of Wyoming Cowboys football team against the Bringham Young University Fighting Cougars.  The game could be played every year at each other’s stadiums OR the annual game could be played halfway between the schools in Rock Springs, WY at Tiger stadium at Rock Springs High School.  I suggest the later. 

@#1Stunner @robe @Wyovanian does this sound amenable?  I’m thinking we can get the Toms together to agree to the revival of this series.

F--k byu*.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Guest #1Stunner
9 hours ago, Fowl said:

Any way BYU can partner with Wyoming, I'm in favor of it.  BYU needs to reach out and provide assistance to Cowboys Athletics during this Pandemic.  Maybe even offer temporary WCC membership to Wyoming.

Guest #1Stunner
On 8/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, Del Scorcho said:

There are smart people on all sides here.

Some arguing that you'll get permanent heart and lung damage if you get Covid, and be an invalid for the rest of your life.  Truly a scary thought, if true.   But, others are arguing that getting heart complications would be about as common as winning the lottery and becoming a billionaire...

Who is right?

If heart complications are as common as the PAC12 is saying, there should be NO football or athletics, or in person school for students,  if and until the Virus is completely eradicated.  If they reopen sports in February, without the virus being eradicated, then they are full of BS and fed everyone propaganda (won't be a vaccine by then).

Oddly the medical experts in the Democrat States disagree with the medical experts in the Republican States.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

This is about the dumbest analysis I've I've read...  You are trying to go by med school ranking??? 

Are you saying there aren't smart people at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Wake Forest, Texas Christian, Baylor, Tulane, etc???

Where do you think the doctors that run the University of Mississippi or Arkansas attended medical school?   Probably the best medical schools in the Country, including many Big Ten and PAC12 schools...  

There are differing, reasonable opinions on both sides of this issue.

9 hours ago, Fowl said:

I’m all for it. But I think the next generation isn’t into the rivalry on either side. The embers are slowly dying. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Guest #1Stunner
22 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

a little bit more from that article: (apologies its an Athletic article)

What is odd is that the B1G thinks that allowing intramurals is safe.

I guess the heart concerns don't impact regular students?

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

There are smart people on all sides here.

Some arguing that you'll get permanent heart and lung damage if you get Covid, and be an invalid for the rest of your life.  Truly a scary thought, if true.   But, others are arguing that getting heart complications would be about as common as winning the lottery and becoming a billionaire...

Who is right?

If heart complications are as common as the PAC12 is saying, there should be NO football or athletics, or in person school for students,  if and until the Virus is completely eradicated.  If they reopen sports in February, without the virus being eradicated, then they are full of BS and red everyone propaganda (won't be a vaccine by then).

Oddly the medical experts in the Democrat States disagree with the medical experts in the Republican States.

Or the medical experts in the Republican states are being ignored.

19 minutes ago, robe said:

I’m all for it. But I think the next generation isn’t into the rivalry on either side. The embers are slowly dying. 

Thus the reason why it needs to be rekindled.  There have been some classic games in that rivalry.  

50 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This is about the dumbest analysis I've I've read...  You are trying to go by med school ranking??? 

Are you saying there aren't smart people at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Wake Forest, Texas Christian, Baylor, Tulane, etc???

Where do you think the doctors that run the University of Mississippi or Arkansas attended medical school?   Probably the best medical schools in the Country, including many Big Ten and PAC12 schools...  

There are differing, reasonable opinions on both sides of this issue.

That is fine you go by the Doc's in the SEC and I will go by the Doc's in the Pac12.  BTW, it's not completely academic to me as my nephew is a senior football player at USC.

And no the Doc who head University of Mississippi Med School attended Miss. State and Old Miss.

https://olemiss.edu/info/bios/woodward.html

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

What is odd is that the B1G thinks that allowing intramurals is safe.

I guess the heart concerns don't impact regular students?

that article is misleading.

Its one school in the B1G offering it - MSU, not all of the B1G.  And the one sport that they aren't allowing is flag football.