Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Naggsty Butler

San Diego for newbies

2 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Never had chilaquiles, looks freaking delicious. Any recommendations on what to get?

Chilaquiles are my favorite Mexican dish, and as a SoCal (but not San Diego) native, I can claim a certain amount of authority there, and the place @madmartigan mentioned have the best I’ve ever had. Do it up.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Disagree on the zoo. It’s likely the best in the country and far better than most hometown zoos. I’m not a big fan of zoos per se, but the animals at the San Diego zoo appear to be well cared for and have more space than most. 

The list of what they've done for animal conservation is endless.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The list of what they've done for animal conservation is endless.

that's what Sea World said the last time I was there.

Apparently, trapping whales, and making them perform circus tricks is about "animal conservation".

That's great and all, but I just wanted to try a whale taco..  Who wouldn't?  

25 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Chilaquiles are my favorite Mexican dish, and as a SoCal (but not San Diego) native, I can claim a certain amount of authority there, and the place @madmartigan mentioned have the best I’ve ever had. Do it up.

We don't have chilaquiles here. I suspect because they're so much damn work, but they are oh so delicious when done right. @Naggsty Butler please do yourself a favor and go to Cocina 35. It literally does not matter which chilaquiles you try the first time, you will love them all. As for me, I like anything with green chile and avocado. My wife and I ordered 4 different types of chilaquiles there and loved them all. 

Please return and report your findings on chilaquiles. @SJSUMFA2013 is correct, they are singular and might be the best all-around mexican dish there is. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

20 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

We don't have chilaquiles here. I suspect because they're so much damn work, but they are oh so delicious when done right. @Naggsty Butler please do yourself a favor and go to Cocina 35. It literally does not matter which chilaquiles you try the first time, you will love them all. As for me, I like anything with green chile and avocado. My wife and I ordered 4 different types of chilaquiles there and loved them all. 

Please return and report your findings on chilaquiles. @SJSUMFA2013 is correct, they are singular and might be the best all-around mexican dish there is. 

tenor.gif

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

@TheSanDiegan

What is a good Fish Taco place in San Diego?

Rubio's

Every other fish taco is compared to it.  When someone wants to praise a fish taco offering they always say "it's better than Rubio's", which, IMO is a dubious claim.  The Brigantine at Del Mar has a nice taco but "it's not as good as Rubios" and a 2 taco plate is $20.00.

My wife likes the grilled Mahi tacos.  I prefer the original fish taco or the especial on occasion.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Lolita's and Sombrero's are the best Mexican chain food locations. Otherwise it's hole in the wall places based on the area you're in....you can't got wrong. 

Fish Taco's: El Zarape (University Heights), Oscar's (PB), Blue Water Seafood (Mission Hills)

Here's a list of all the city parks and their status.

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/park-status.pdf

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

My wife and I used to get down to San Diego a lot as my wife’s sister and husband lived in Encinitas and I have a good friend that lives in Claremont. My in-laws have since moved so we don’t get down there as much. IMO it’s the best big city in the US, very laid back, the weather is unbeatable, great beaches and restaurants, and tons of things to do. The only drawback is the tourist season in the summer when it gets pretty crowded. 

The OB pier is open.  Pick up a couple of cheap poles at Walmart and do a little pier fishing.  No license required

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Don't bother with Sandy Eggo. It's nothing but an over-hyped and crowded Cali shit hole. They got beaches and good weather. So what ?

You want singular and unique experience ?

Tijuana.

Tequila.

Roofies.

But, don't listen to me.

@Rev McQuervo is the expert here.

GIF by South Park

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

That being the case, I have a few pandemic road trip suggestions for any history nut in SD... :)

Maritime Museum: San Diego has the second largest collection of tall ships in the world, second only to the National Maritime Museum in the UK. In addition to the oldest steel-hulled tall ship afloat (the Star of India, which has circumnavigated the globe 21 times), we have the ship featured in Master and Commander (HMS Suprise), the Californian (a schooner that patrolled the West Coast), and the San Salvador, a recent reproduction of one of the galleon Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sailed into San Diego in 1542. In addition, we have a Soviet era sub (the B-39, a Foxtrot-class submarine), the USS Dolphin (ex-Naval Base Pt. Loma - was used to train submariners and to this day still holds the world record for deepest manned dive), and several others. In addition, moored less than 1/4 mile away is the USS Midway. I would recommend treating them as two, separate agenda (make sure to explore the Battle of Leyte Gulf memorial at the park adjacent to the Midway).

Mission de Alcalá: The first of the historic California Missions and the first Christian church erected on the West Coast (of the US or Canada). Called the "Mother Mission," it was founded in 1769, and relocated from the Presidio to its current location in 1774. It is open during the pandemic (actually had a business meeting on the front portico a couple weeks ago). At the east end of the portico is a large cross, erected on the spot where Fray Jayme became he first Christian martyr on the West Coast when the mission was attacked by a war party of 600 Ipai on November 5, 1775. Fun Fact: My surviving grandmother's grandfather's grandfather was one of 5-6 (depending on which historical record) Spaniards to survive that attack that night. 

Mission San Luis Rey: The Oceanside mission was founded in the first quarter of the 19th century and was - and remains - the single largest mission property on the entire North American continent. Worth visiting, not just for the grand scale and historical significance, but for the Native American sculptures that were an integral part of the irrigation system. Fun Fact: There is a Spanish ship wreck somewhere up the San Luis Rey river.

Battle of San Pasqual Museum and Memorial: Located in San Pasqual valley (near the Wild Animal Park), the Battle of San Pasqual was the deadliest battle in California during the Mexican-American War. On one side, Gen, Stephen Watts Kearny (Kearny Mesa, Kearny Villa Rd, etc.) led the US 1st Dragoons (precursor to the 1st Cav) of his Army of the West from Santa Fe to San Diego (well, he led those left he had not dispatched to join the fight in Mexico). Joined by a company of volunteer riflemen led down from NoCal by Capt. Archibald Gillepsie (Gillespie Field), they met up in what is now Ramona.

On the other side were half as many Californios (my people), expert horsemen one and all (the original cowboys were the Californio caballeros charged with overseeing a half-million head of cattle owned by the crown). While the 1st Dragoons had cannon and firearms, the Californios were mostly armed with lances, reatas, and swords. After marching through the rain the night before, they camped on an escarpment overlooking the pueblo of San Pasqual. Kearny ignored Gillespie's suggestion the day of that they first change out their powder charge; Kearny ignored him. Mistake number one.

Mistake number two occurred when one of Kearny's captains mistakenly thought he heard the general give the order to charge, which he relayed through the ranks. Problem was, they were still two miles behind Californio lines. And to complicate matters, the 1st Dragoons were mounted on all manner of steeds, from good horses, to lame horses, to donkeys and mules. The Californios, who were outnumbered 2:1, saw this, and tactically withdrew a little down the valley.

By the time they turned on the 1st Dragoons, they had spread their line out well over a mile, thereby negating Kearny's numerical superiority. And to make matters worse, most of the firearms - long arms and pistols alike - would not fire due to the rain of the night before. It quickly became a battle of iron on iron. And the Californios - all descended from the fames soldados de cuero who guarded the California frontier - were expert lances as well as horsemen. They would yank soldiers off their mounts with their reatas and stick them like game with their lances. 

In addition to capturing one of the 4 lb. field pieces, they killed 21 dragoons without a single loss. The second day, the 1st Dragoons took a hilltop where the Californios had encamped, only to be surrounded. For three days the 1st Dragoons were stuck on that hill. With supplies gone, they quickly resorted to eating their mules (hence the name Mule Hill). On the night of the third day, Gillespie snuck through the Californio lines with two other people: the chief of the San Pasqual pueblo (the local Native Americans coexisted with the Spanish but hated Mexican rule) and Kit Carson. Yep. The Kit Carson - both he and Wyatt Earp figure into San Diego history. They met up with Cmdre Fremont down at the waterfront, who had sailed into San Diego harbor with a detachment of Marines (this was the first presence of US Marines in San Diego, @East Coast Aztec and @sean327), who as Marines are known to do, went and saved some asses that needed saving.

There's more... :) But that should give you a good primer to get out and explore the SDC from a historical perspective.

Other than boot camp I was never stationed in the San Diego area. I spent most of my career in Twentynine Palms, Yuma, and Japan. I do go to San Diego at least twice a year to get away from the heat and go to the beach. It’s one of my favorite cities.

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Learn to sail and rent a boat - what better way to rec than to get away from all the zombies? Cove is your best bet for snorkeling. Best beaches IMO are further north - La Jolla Shores, Scripps, Blacks (if you don't mind hoofing it), Torrey Pines, et al. There are also great local spots between PB and La Jolla where you can find fewer people. Just expect it to be zoo'd out when it's hot like this.

Speaking of which, when we get a heat wave like this, you don't really want to come inland - here in the foothills, we're expecting highs anywhere between 95 and 105 over the next several days-week.

Re: food... make the drive down Ingraham to Sunset Cliffs Blvd to OB. Bang a right on W. Pt Loma Blvd (first light after the skate park), then a left on Cable, and at the corner of Cable and Voltaire is OB Noodle House. Definitely go.

Also in OB is Hodad's, a local institution and one of the best burgers in SD.

Re: Mexican, in general, the shittier looking the better the food. Feel safe going with any of the 'tos - Robertos, Hilebertos, Albertos, et al. - my litmus test to try a new Mexican joint is to ask whether they use shredded or ground beef in their rolled tacos. Ground beef = guero alert (run, don't walk, away). Oh, and two words: fish tacos.

You really can't go wrong with Thai or Vietnamese here - there is a plethora of both. I have no good recs for Mission Bay area, though you can jump up Balboa to Clairemont, you're a stone's through away from a shitton of killer pan-Asian restaurants (off Convoy, between the 52 and Claiiremont Mesa Blvd).

My favorite Indian food, other than my wife's cooking (my wife's S. Indian), is up the 15 in Rancho Bernardo. There are two places that I would recommend. - Passage to India and Curry and More. Also, the overall best burger in SD (IMO) is in the same general area (google Grub Gastropub - their $16 wagyu burger tastes like a hundi).

Oh, and microbrews. And Screwball. Once again, welcome to SD! :cheers:

Is La Piñata Restaurant in old town still closed?

10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

When I googled it, it came up as permanently closed. Just for shits and giggles I called them, but it just rang until a generic greeting message told me the mailbox I am calling was full. So I'm guessing they are terminado. Cerrado. Muerto. Their parrot is no more.

Tbh though, we usually don't eat in Old Town unless we're attending a friend's function who wanted to go there. There are simply too many better restaurants in Little Italy, downtown, uptown, South Park, etc. When it comes to dining in Old Town, @Del Scorcho is pretty much correct that it is something of a tourist trap IMO. I've had a couple good meals there over the years, but I have a hard time getting down with dine-in Mexican restaurants when I was brought up on killer baja Mex fast food/street food and $3 carne asada burritos the size of a whale's dick.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

43 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

When I googled it, it came up as permanently closed. Just for shits and giggles I called them, but it just rang until a generic greeting message told me the mailbox I am calling was full. So I'm guessing they are terminado. Cerrado. Muerto. Their parrot is no more.

Tbh though, we usually don't eat in Old Town unless we're attending a friend's function who wanted to go there. There are simply too many better restaurants in Little Italy, downtown, uptown, South Park, etc. When it comes to dining in Old Town, @Del Scorcho is pretty much correct that it is something of a tourist trap IMO. I've had a couple good meals there over the years, but I have a hard time getting down with dine-in Mexican restaurants when I was brought up on killer baja Mex fast food/street food and $3 carne asada burritos the size of a whale's dick.

La Piñata was a classic.   If it was open I would recommend it highly 

On 8/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, madmartigan said:

20200818_141445.jpg

Absolutely delicious.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

38 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

20200818_141445.jpg

Absolutely delicious.

oh wow! I will now have an erection lasting longer than five hours. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

Bruh, you just need a better tour guide. :) Hit me up on your first post-pandemic trip to SD and I'll be happy to oblige.

That being said, the zoo is... a zoo. One of the better ones on the planet, but still a zoo - great for kids though. Balboa Park, on the other hand (in whcih the zoo is located), is a glorious destination and the cultural heart and soul of San Diego. It is the largest urban park in the country, larger than Central Park, and populated with no less than 14 museums (all closed at present due to the pandemic). Originally built for the Pan American Exposition of 1915, the grandness of the Spanish Colonial architecture is unmatched outside of Spain and Central/S. America.

I always get an airbnb on Bankers Hill, just west of Balboa.  Run the trails in the morning, walk the park and hit museums after breakfast, then can walk to the restaurants and bars of Little Italy, North Park, or downtown.  I would recommend to do that for those that don't want to drive much.  Learn where the Old Town trolley stops are and you could not need a car for a couple days.

Also, may not be a popular opinion, but I prefer the Safari Park in North County to SD Zoo.  

On 8/14/2020 at 12:05 PM, #1Stunner said:

that's what Sea World said the last time I was there.

Apparently, trapping whales, and making them perform circus tricks is about "animal conservation".

That's great and all, but I just wanted to try a whale taco..  Who wouldn't?  

yeah I thought the same but after a couple hours with dre's mom changed that

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 8/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, sactowndog said:

It's been closed for a long time.  Family friends used to own it.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke