Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

Your throwback thread

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

I hate you.

That was one of the best games I have ever seen.  I felt sick that Fresno lost.  As upset as I have been after all but a few Boise losses.  At the same time, that performance by Reggie Bush was maybe the best single game performance I have ever seen.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That was one of the best games I have ever seen.  I felt sick that Fresno lost.  As upset as I have been after all but a few Boise losses.  At the same time, that performance by Reggie Bush was maybe the best single game performance I have ever seen.

Bush stepped out of bounds goddamnit!

But yeah, I was living in Texas at the time, and I stayed up until like 2am watching it. The next (same) day my (now ex) wife, and two friends of ours drove to the Texas Renaissance Festival... I was running on about 3 hours of sleep. They all dressed up, I wore my Bulldogs gear. I had so many people come up to me and tell me that they wished we had won and that the game had made them secondary Bulldogs fans. That said, it was still a freaking heartbreaking loss.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

But yeah, I was living in Texas at the time, and I stayed up until like 2am watching it. The next (same) day my (now ex) wife, and two friends of ours drove to the Texas Renaissance Festival... I was running on about 3 hours of sleep. They all dressed up, I wore my Bulldogs gear. I had so many people come up to me and tell me that they wished we had won and that the game had made them secondary Bulldogs fans. That said, it was still a freaking heartbreaking loss.

It's hard to think about what would have happened had Fresno won.  I am convinced that game mentally broke the players and coaches.  Had they won, they go undefeated IMO.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's hard to think about what would have happened had Fresno won.  I am convinced that game mentally broke the players and coaches.  Had they won, they go undefeated IMO.

I 100% believe that the game broke them for the rest of the year. Had we won, we likely would have gotten the Fiesta Bowl against either Ohio State or Notre Dame most likely. But, that's the hallmark of Bulldog football, choke when it matters the most... just like when y'all beat us in 2001. That team was likely going to be the first BCS buster, but you guys beat us, and then we had the hangover game against Hawai'i the next week.

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I 100% believe that the game broke them for the rest of the year. Had we won, we likely would have gotten the Fiesta Bowl against either Ohio State or Notre Dame most likely. But, that's the hallmark of Bulldog football, choke when it matters the most... just like when y'all beat us in 2001. That team was likely going to be the first BCS buster, but you guys beat us, and then we had the hangover game against Hawai'i the next week.

1:38, the play that changed Fresno State football history and launched Boise's.  The late hit.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

1:38, the play that changed Fresno State football history and launched Boise's.  The late hit.

Blech. I was at that game. Such an undisciplined play.

4 hours ago, retrofade said:

If it helps, Notre Dame knows how that feels.  Brady Quinn is still salty about the Bush push from that same year. 

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Almost all evidence of the 2005 freezing Nevada Fresno game where Hubbard kneels at the one to end it has been erased from the internet. It’s distressing.

Thankfully, we have archives for this sort of thing.  Here is some proof your '05 freezing game vs Nevada did happen.

The final score was 38-35, but the scoreboard never showed that or the final seconds ticking off after a malfunction with 6 minutes left in the game.

clipping_57391981.png.8008a79c939512d0693adbeafc477dae.png

I had this game written off as a terrible loss...

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

9 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Thankfully, we have archives for this sort of thing.  Here is some proof your '05 freezing game vs Nevada did happen.

The final score was 38-35, but the scoreboard never showed that or the final seconds ticking off after a malfunction with 6 minutes left in the game.

clipping_57391981.png.8008a79c939512d0693adbeafc477dae.png

I’d completely forgotten about the clock not working! I do remember Pat Hill being gracious in defeat saying Rowe pitched a perfect game. And he did. As frustrating as he could be in big games, as rough as the climb from the college fb cellar was in the early aughts, on that night the program played at another level. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I’d completely forgotten about the clock not working! I do remember Pat Hill being gracious in defeat saying Rowe pitched a perfect game. And he did. As frustrating as he could be in big games, as rough as the climb from the college fb cellar was in the early aughts, on that night the program played at another level. 

I didn't know about the malfunctioning clock until after digging that piece up.

29 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I didn't know about the malfunctioning clock until after digging that piece up.

I remembered Hubbard’s kneel being sports center’s play of the week, but spaced the clock thing. Now I remember how anxious those final few series were, not knowing the time with a conference title just out of reach.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

The ladies deserve a shout out also.

'03-'04 was UC Santa Barbara's best season.  27-7 record, advanced to the Sweet 16.  Unfortunately ran into an undefeated UConn with Diana Taurasi.  Eight points, the smallest MOV UConn had the entire tournament. Part of a nine year stretch of consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances for UCSB, which lasted from 1997 to 2005.  They would go back to back again in '08 and '09.

2040600659_2004UCSBBrandyRichardsonvsUConnDianaTaurasi.png.d7e3f5f98ee7c1ea5200ecf6063718f0.png

1673843661_2004UCSBAprilMcDivittvsUconn.png.8068338adb7cf2b64079f7c9f5c2ac1c.png

@Broncomare , @Ibanez.  In 1997-'98 Boise State won the Big West eastern division crown in volleyball and women's basketball.  The latter, despite falling to UCSB in the conference championship, still earned a bid to the NIT.  It wasn't just football where Boise enjoyed some success, though that came a couple years later.  Women's athletics had their moments to shine as well.

478617635_1998UCSBvsBoiseWBBBigWestChampionships.png.2f6eb5b7142dd25980f8dca004c34e7c.png

Fresno broke through in 1998 in softball.  They had been national runner-ups in '88, '89 and '90.  But at last, they won a national championship.  1-0 over Arizona