Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AggieSox

TRUMP 2020=FOOTBALL

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Seems like a dumb way to elect a president.  

You sound like a Liberal Democrat...........Just guessing from your comment?  Please clarify for us, please. 

I would say a president who says PLAY BALL would make me lean toward voting for him or her, especially this year.  

10 minutes ago, AggieSox said:

You sound like a Liberal Democrat...........Just guessing from your comment?  Please clarify for us, please. 

I would say a president who says PLAY BALL would make me lean toward voting for him or her, especially this year.  

Clarification,  i don't think opinion on football from a candidate should go into consideration for electing the president of the US.

8 hours ago, AggieSox said:

But this president was against playing ball......drain the swamp ring a bell?

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Don't really matter. Trump has it in the bag anyway.

The big boy board is always there if you feel the need to debate this further. 

Edit: never mind, seems this thread was moved to the right spot.

Hey Obama gained some popularity by lobbying for a playoff.

I think it's a good way to energize his base and get some supporters.  The downside is that football is a total failure with massive outbreaks leading to cancellation anyway.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, AggieSox said:

With Trump saying "PLAY FOOTBALL"  

Does that mean all Football fans will now VOTE for TRUMP and he wins the election again??  

The dumbass can say "play ball", "open schools", "liberate Michigan".... everyone knows he is just a gasbag who can't get the virus under control so those things can happen.   Wishes aren't a plan. 

Posted Image

On 8/11/2020 at 1:54 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Trump said this morning he only wants football as long as the players do not take a knee during the anthem.

Given the current climate that may not happen.

Did Sinclair Lewis say, "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"?

This quote sounds like something Sinclair Lewis might have said or written, but we've never been able to find this exact quote. Here are passages from two novels Lewis wrote that are similar to the quote attributed to him.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

From Gideon Planish: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

There was also a play by Sherman Yellen called Strangers in the late 1970s which had a similar quote, but no one, including one of Lewis’s biographers, Richard Lingeman, has ever been able to locate the original citation.

Other variants include one from James Waterman Wise, Jr. in the Christian Century(Feb.5, 1936) who noted that Hearst and Coughlin were the two chief exponents of fascism in America. If fascism comes, he added, it will not be identified with any "shirt" movement, nor with an "insignia," but it will probably be "wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution" (245).Another version isfrom Halford E. Luccock, in Keeping Life Out of Confusion(1938): "When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled 'made in Germany'; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, 'Americanism.'" Harrison Evans Salisbury in The Many Americas Shall Be One (1971) remarked "Sinclair Lewis aptly predicted in It Can't Happen Here that if fascism came to America it would come wrapped in the flag and whistling 'The Star Spangled Banner'" (29).

84291750-7E30-4967-A9F8-E16F8CBADC96.png

7 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

This thread should be moved.  Some of us don’t want to read political crap on a sports board. That is why there is a separate board for it. 

it's all just teams and shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Did Sinclair Lewis say, "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"?

This quote sounds like something Sinclair Lewis might have said or written, but we've never been able to find this exact quote. Here are passages from two novels Lewis wrote that are similar to the quote attributed to him.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

From Gideon Planish: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

There was also a play by Sherman Yellen called Strangers in the late 1970s which had a similar quote, but no one, including one of Lewis’s biographers, Richard Lingeman, has ever been able to locate the original citation.

Other variants include one from James Waterman Wise, Jr. in the Christian Century(Feb.5, 1936) who noted that Hearst and Coughlin were the two chief exponents of fascism in America. If fascism comes, he added, it will not be identified with any "shirt" movement, nor with an "insignia," but it will probably be "wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution" (245).Another version isfrom Halford E. Luccock, in Keeping Life Out of Confusion(1938): "When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled 'made in Germany'; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, 'Americanism.'" Harrison Evans Salisbury in The Many Americas Shall Be One (1971) remarked "Sinclair Lewis aptly predicted in It Can't Happen Here that if fascism came to America it would come wrapped in the flag and whistling 'The Star Spangled Banner'" (29).

84291750-7E30-4967-A9F8-E16F8CBADC96.png

So advocating for liberty and the preservation of the Constitution is Fascism? Yeah... phuck all three of those guys.