Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Nebraska Breaks Ranks - Decides to Play the Season?

8 minutes ago, RSF said:

Probably not applicable.  It's not like they're cancelling scholarships.  They're still sponsoring all those sports.  They're just not playing.

Read it...

”No person in the United States may, upon the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of...any education program or activity receiving federal assistance.”

Prior decisions have basically interpreted this as females must be guaranteed equal opportunities in both funding and participation.   

This will be the first case filed if a school allows a men’s team to compete in the fall season but not a women’s team.  

1 hour ago, The Brent Vigen Diet said:

Did you ever hookup with that dude you were messaging at your motel across from the stadium? 

Usually have to hold off the ladies. I politely pass on the dudes. But I don’t judge how you swing. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Nebraska fans can whine all they want.  The admins know what being in the Big 10 means.  And I'm not just talking about the big revenue check.  Bet less than 5% of their fans know what the CIC is, even fewer care, but as much as sports is why Nebraska's not going anywhere.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Read it...

”No person in the United States, upon the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of...any education program or activity receiving federal assistance.”

Prior decisions have basically interpreted this as females must be guaranteed equal opportunities in both funding and participation.   

This will be the first case filed if a school allows a men’s team to compete in the fall season but not a women’s team.  

Read it.  They're not being denied any benefits.  And its arguable they'd be denied participation based on sex (as opposed to revenue) when there's men sports (XCountry and Golf)not participating this fall as well.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, robe said:

I doubt the B10 has any interest in W Virginia. 

I dont doubt it at all.  Less than zero interest.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-commissioner-kevin-warren-lashes-out-at-nebraska-after-critical-statements-023133028.html

The whole article is worth reading, but a couple lines sum it up.

When Warren was asked specifically by Yahoo Sports if Nebraska could play college football this fall, he gave an answer that would make his hardline predecessor nod with approval.

“No,” he said, firmly. “Not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference.”

Nebraska thinks it's still the 20th century and it's still a college football heavyweight. Lol at those fools.

And lol at the poster who laughed at me for not thinking that Iowa was a rival of the Huskers. As if a rivalry can be created in nine years.

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

Read it.  They're not being denied any benefits.  And its arguable they'd be denied participation based on sex (as opposed to revenue) when there's men sports (XCountry and Golf)not participating this fall as well.

I’m not the biggest fan of how Title IX has been interpreted.  People can bury their head in the sand all they want.  But prior decisions have said economic factors are not to be weighed when considering women’s rights to compete in sports.  The benefit that will be argued is the actual ability to play the sport.  It won’t take a great lawyer to show that special accommodations were made to the men’s football team to allow them to play in the fall but none of which were made for women.  

Once again - we would all love to ignore title ix and focus on economic realities.  But prior precedent isn’t going to allow universities that receive federal funding to do that.  

5 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I’m not the biggest fan of how Title IX has been interpreted.  People can bury their head in the sand all they want.  But prior decisions have said economic factors are not to be weighed when considering women’s rights to compete in sports.  The benefit that will be argued is the actual ability to play the sport.  It won’t take a great lawyer to show that special accommodations were made to the men’s football team to allow them to play in the fall but none of which were made for women.  

Once again - we would all love to ignore title ix and focus on economic realities.  But prior precedent isn’t going to allow universities that receive federal funding to do that.  

Yeah...never mind the other reasons.  Lets focus on the money (I knew dropping that in was a mistake).

And playing is not a benefit.  Scholarships, room and board, etc.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Yeah...never mind the other reasons.  Lets focus on the money (I knew dropping that in was a mistake).

What is the other reason(s), other than money considerations, that a university would have to allow men’s football to compete in the fall but not a women’s sport? I can think of none.  

Now if there were scientific studies showing that women have a much higher mortality rate from COVID or that it might impact their future ability to reproduce, then that would likely be a valid justification of a university.  I’m not aware of anything like this.   

Facepalm me all you want.  But under title ix’s interpretations there has to be logic outside of financial considerations for the decision to allow a men’s sport to play but not a women’s sport.  

Okay folks, Nebraska is facing losses of $80-100M by not playing this fall.  In that light there is no way NU is also going to take on whatever financial penalties would be imposed by the B1G for leaving the conference.  My guess is we'll see a press conference from Bill Moos soon supporting Nebraska's membership in the B1G.  Now in a few years with COVID-19 in the rear view mirror I can see Nebraska possibly moving on.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

What's to stop Nebraska from saying vball, girl's CC is open to compete this fall.  They would be giving equal opportunity to women. I don't see an issue

Not sure who they'd compete against, but that was my thought as well.  Give 'em the keys to the gym and let them hope somebody shows up.  The Title IX argument in this has no legs.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

What's to stop Nebraska from saying vball, girl's CC is open to compete this fall.  They would be giving equal opportunity to women. I don't see an issue

Interesting you say that women’s volleyball is very popular in Lincoln. A fan told me today Volleyball brings in a lot of revenue for the school and the community. 

11 hours ago, Ibanez said:

You're right. They should stay at 13 if Nebraska left. That makes sense.

No go after Virginia or another ACC school or Kansas. 

11 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Lincoln is a cool town. Actually the state of Nebraska is so underappreciated. 

You should grab @Did I hear a WOOSH? And go visit the beaches on North Sentinal Island next. Awesome place. Talk to the locals when you get there.

I'm joking I guess.

I wanted to try to go up to the capital dome but didn’t have time. I have an office there so I’ll be back at some point. 

I have worked with the area office in Denver a few times. I was slated to go to Seattle before Covid hit. Trumps guy is slashing expenses so I might not travel much now. 

The slapdown of Nebraska by the conference is complete.

EfTeBkpWAAEGopS?format=jpg&name=small

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, RSF said:

The slapdown of Nebraska by the conference is complete.

EfTeBkpWAAEGopS?format=jpg&name=small

Nebraska should join the Big12.

I realize it would be moving to a lesser conference, with a lower payout.  But their fanbase seemed to enjoy the Big12 a lot more.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Nebraska should join the Big12.

I realize it would be moving to a lesser conference, with a lower payout.  But their fanbase seemed to enjoy the Big12 a lot more.

I actually agree that Nebraska is a better fit in the Big-12. 

But, selfishly, I kind of hope they don't. Basically the most realistic potential option for BSU and BYU getting into a P5 conference is as a pair if the Big-12 decides to expand. Neither seems likely to be Pac-12 bound any time in the near future, so I'd prefer that Nebraska not return to the Big-12 and suck up one of the spots.

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I actually agree that Nebraska is a better fit in the Big-12. 

But, selfishly, I kind of hope they don't. Basically the most realistic potential option for BSU and BYU getting into a P5 conference is as a pair if the Big-12 decides to expand. Neither seems likely to be Pac-12 bound any time in the near future, so I'd prefer that Nebraska not return to the Big-12 and suck up one of the spots.

Good point.   

I wish the BIG12 hadn't added West Virginia.  They are an outlier, and makes BIG12 expansion west difficult. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:20 AM, Ibanez said:

I propose a trade. The B1G trade Nebraska for West Virginia.

And then the AAC can trade Tulsa and Tulane for Boise State.

WV has zero chance of ever making the big 10, who like the ivy care more about academics than any sport.

Boise has zero shot at ever getting back/to the AAC. You burned that bridge behind you and they have no reason to add a program who gets paid extra money and still struggles to win an inferior league and regularly finishes behind the AAC's champ and sometimes second place teams in the rankings.

The AAC has eyes for the Academies and BYU anyone else is a non-starter, especially since it seems divisional requirements are done.