Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Nebraska Breaks Ranks - Decides to Play the Season?

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

It doesn't say that. It says they want to play but not that they are going to. Where are they going to go? back to Big 12?

That's what Nebraska should do. When it comes to B1G membership, that school is a square peg in a round hole.

1. No longer a member of the AAU.

2. Contrary to most of the B1G, they are perennially awful at basketball.

3. Too far west.

4. They belong back in the same conference with their longtime rival Oklahoma. (Do the Huskers even have a rival in the B1G?)

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

With the PAC announcing...we're left with the deep south and these two.

NMSU has only 4 games left on schedule.  I don't see why they would risk playing at this point, not to mention the NM governor has strongly recommended they don't play this fall.  They will follow the MWC lead.  

8 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

That's what Nebraska should do. When it comes to B1G membership, that school is a square peg in a round hole.

3. Too far west.

4. They belong back in the same conference with their longtime rival Oklahoma. (Do the Huskers even have a rival in the B1G?)

Oh I agree they make more sense in the Big 12 but they won't willingly go back. Money and prestige in the B1G.

The NM Governor has pushed back the 14 day quarantine to the end of September. Lil sis should strike a deal with El Paso/UTEP to play their home games, if not in the sunbowl, then somewhere in The EP area.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

21 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

The NM Governor has pushed back the 14 day quarantine to the end of September. Lil sis should strike a deal with El Paso/UTEP to play their home games, if not in the sunbowl, then somewhere in The EP area.

That is a great idea!  Hope the Aggies can play. What a great  turn of events that would be for them.

19 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

To play 4 games?  No thanks.  I actually think P12, BiG, Big Sky, MAC, MWC, are making the right decision.  Football will be back.  It just won't happen this fall. 

33 minutes ago, alum93 said:

To play 4 games?  No thanks.  I actually think P12, BiG, Big Sky, MAC, MWC, are making the right decision.  Football will be back.  It just won't happen this fall. 

Right, wrong, or indifferent - this "passive" sentiment seems to be shared with the bulk of commenters on this board, whereas in Texas, that vast majority of Big 12/SEC fans are livid at the thought of no college football and the Big 12 hasn't even canceled or not canceled yet.  More evidence of the increasingly considerable cultural shift when it comes to football.  

Guest #1Stunner

@Ibanez

What are you hearing about the MWC Schools?

Any chance that Boise goes rogue, defies the MWC "no play" edict, and tries to play a schedule?

I've already said I wouldn't be surprised if Wyoming did this.  Wyoming is a loose cannon and doesn't like to be told what to do. 

1 hour ago, RamDFW said:

Right, wrong, or indifferent - this "passive" sentiment seems to be shared with the bulk of commenters on this board, whereas in Texas, that vast majority of Big 12/SEC fans are livid at the thought of no college football and the Big 12 hasn't even canceled or not canceled yet.  More evidence of the increasingly considerable cultural shift when it comes to football.  

If nobody but the B12 and SEC play this fall and a couple players from each conference die from COVID-19 they will catch immense dog poop.

From fans of other conferences, from families of most B12/SEC players, from the media, from presidents of non-B12/SEC schools, from trustees of B12/SEC schools who will be facing lawsuits. you name it. (Probably not from Mark Emmert though.)

25 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

@Ibanez

What are you hearing about the MWC Schools?

Any chance that Boise goes rogue, defies the MWC "no play" edict, and tries to play a schedule?

I've already said I wouldn't be surprised if Wyoming did this.  Wyoming is a loose cannon and doesn't like to be told what to do. 

If Boise goes rogue it might lead to a permanent break with the MWC :ph34r:

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

If Boise goes rogue it might lead to a permanent break with the MWC :ph34r:

Side note.  Not sure how this all impacts basketball.

WCC and BIG WEST need to work out a deal. 

35 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

In today's LA Times, college football analyst Brady McCollough opined that the B1G presidents decided to close the season down not because of COVID but because "Big Ten players organized under the umbrella of College Athlete Unity, a group founded by Michigan defensive back Hunter Reynolds, joining the Pac12's We Are United movement that launched August 2 and threatened to boycott the season if their demands weren't met." In other words, if McCollough is correct, the B1G presidents and ADs used COVID as an excuse to immediately say "In yo face!" to players trying to organize a conference-wide football union.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Side note.  Not sure how this all impacts basketball.

WCC and BIG WEST need to work out a deal. 

Remember, Thompson has said it's football which allows your other sports to be parked here.

49 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

In today's LA Times, college football analyst Brady McCollough opined that the B1G presidents decided to close the season down not because of COVID but because "Big Ten players organized under the umbrella of College Athlete Unity, a group founded by Michigan defensive back Hunter Reynolds, joining the Pac12's We Are United movement that launched August 2 and threatened to boycott the season if their demands weren't met." In other words, if McCollough is correct, the B1G presidents and ADs used COVID as an excuse to immediately say "In yo face!" to players trying to organize a conference-wide football union.

Just another opionion though.   Certainly has been a lot of those flying around.

6 hours ago, tspoke said:

It doesn't say that. It says they want to play but not that they are going to. Where are they going to go? back to Big 12? I'm sure the B1G won't lose too much sleep over losing Nebraska. If they want out, I don't see them getting back in.There are plenty of schools lining up to join the B1G

Nebraska should be very careful with what they say or do.  They May end up in the AAC if they are not careful.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

What happens if they play this fall, and the Big 10 does, in fact, play in the Spring? Does Nebraska play in the Fall, Spring, and again Fall? Or are they then disqualified in the Spring?

The whole thing is a mess. I think Spring football has way too many logistical issues to be practical. I think they should just cancel and play next fall, and any teams that want to play an Indy schedule this fall are welcome to.

5 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

3. Too far west.

Iowa.   Duh

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If nobody but the B12 and SEC play this fall and a couple players from each conference die from COVID-19 they will catch immense dog poop.

From fans of other conferences, from families of most B12/SEC players, from the media, from presidents of non-B12/SEC schools, from trustees of B12/SEC schools who will be facing lawsuits. you name it. (Probably not from Mark Emmert though.)

Like I said, I am not arguing for or against that - I’m just pointing out the cultural shift between the west and and the south when it comes to college football.