Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Society collectively decided to fail with COVID, and we had shit leadership.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

And again, history and precedent disagree. This was a national public health emergency, which due to its scope and scale required a national strategy and plan to address it... you know - the strategy Cheetodick just said last f*cking week they were in the process of defining? :blink:

This was indeed a failure of our government, but not due to some phantom intrinsic flaw in its structure, but rather due to a lack of leadership at the top. Period.

The president failed.  However we know, for a fact, what is responsible for the post June spike.  Protests, bars and parties.  

Trump could not force Cuomo to take the virus seriously.  NY seeded further outbreaks.  Those outbreaks went out of control because people wanted to protest and party.

33 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

When this all started and people were asked to shelter I gave it 2-3 weeks before people would revolt. To my surprise people sheltered for twice that long. The goal was to flatten the curve so as not to overrun hospitals which essentially happened. Look at the number of cases and deaths through mid June. 

Then the politicians tried to move the goal posts and keep people sequestered. Most said to hell with that I’ve been cooped up long enough and the revolt was on. It was like releasing a bunch of caged animals. After that there was no going back. 

When the protests started is when I noticed everyone thinking "to hell with it". The small business owners who were being forcefully shut down by state officials were looking out their windows and seeing protesters gathered by the thousands while the same officials turned the other cheek.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

15 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

When the protests started is when I noticed everyone thinking "to hell with it". The small business owners who were being forcefully shut down by state officials were looking out their windows and seeing protesters gathered by the thousands while the same officials turned the other cheek.  

The protests and the people who lionized the protesters are every bit at this point to blame as anybody else.

They refuse to hear or accept that though.  COVID is anti racist.

57 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

However we know, for a fact, what is responsible for the post June spike.  Protests, bars and parties. 

Is that a fact?  I think there is much more to it than those three things.  Economy opening back up meant more kids in daycare, more people at somewhat crowded working environments and office buildings. Lots of older people not wearing masks. 

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Is that a fact?  I think there is much more to it than those three things.  Economy opening back up meant more kids in daycare, more people at somewhat crowded working environments and office buildings. Lots of older people not wearing masks. 

Yes, it is numbers.  20 million plus going to protests, tens of millions flooding bars.  Both night after night.  Crazy karen not wanting to use a mask is statistically not significant compared to the aforementioned.

Mask use is so incredibly less effective than social distancing.  Use masks, please for the love of god, but social distance is key.  Not distancing and using a mask does not make you responsible.  Masks are not an end all, they are something that helps, a little bit.  

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yes, it is numbers.  20 million plus going to protests, tens of millions flooding bars.  Both night after night.  Crazy karen not wanting to use a mask is statistically not significant compared to the aforementioned.

Mask use is so incredibly less effective than social distancing.  Use masks, please for the love of god, but social distance is key.  Not distancing and using a mask does not make you responsible.  Masks are not an end all, they are something that helps, a little bit.  

Can you add, “too stupid/ignorant to read and or trust science” to your list? The biggest takeaway to me is that there are some people who will discount information because it doesn’t spin the correct political tone. And I’m sorry, one orange man is primary responsible for this phenomenon. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Can you add, “too stupid/ignorant to read and or trust science” to your list? The biggest takeaway to me is that there are some people who will discount information because it doesn’t spin the correct political tone. And I’m sorry, one orange man is primary responsible for this phenomenon. 

Cool you hate science.

This current case trend and it's experiential increase sine June has everything to do with protests and parties.

But blame the orange man for kids being encouraged by democrats to gather in the millions.

20 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Change my mind.

Trump's COVID response has been beyond laughably inept.  Our governors have no system set up to coordinate efforts.  The WHO and CDC, sent mixed messages weekly.  Masks became a political symbol.  A black man being murdered by a cop became a justifiable reason to have 20 million Americans gather at large events with not a single democrat saying "hey, we are in a pandemic".  Business owners (mostly republican) pressured politicians to open early and the highest risk business, bars and clubs, were filled in the tens of millions the very first week they opened back up with mostly not republicans (the under 35 crowd).

We failed.  Our leadership failed.  This is an us problem.  I am complicit, you are complicit.  We failed.

It is BS saying Trump killed 160k Americans.  We, top to bottom decided it was ok 160k Americans died.  But blame Trump if that makes you feel better.  Blame young dumb kids if that makes you feel better.  Blame your local leadership for your small business suffering.  

We were unable, as a society, to do what needed to be done to bend the curve.  Even then, if we did, who knows what would have happened.  Our freedom of movement is unique in the world.  

You’re a world class melodramatic whiner that’s always needy for attention. Go ahead and blame yourself if you’re negligent (which I can understand because of you acting like you‘re guilty), but don’t blame other people that have done their part. What a ridiculous mentality that it is. I should just refer to you as Jack GOP for being as phony as you are claiming to be on the right side. Your snowflake MO rivals even the best on the far left. 

kat.jpg

21 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Now THAT is funny! 🤪🤪🤪😝😝😝👍

kat.jpg

13 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

You’re a world class melodramatic whiner that’s always needy for attention. Go ahead and blame yourself if you’re negligent (which I can understand because of you acting like you‘re guilty), but don’t blame other people that have done their part. What a ridiculous mentality that it is. I should just refer to you as Jack GOP for being as phony as you are claiming to be on the right side. Your snowflake MO rivals even the best on the far left. 

Convert, you are too stupid to exist, yet here you are, everyday.  

1 minute ago, Bob said:

It's crazy that you still can't see that in a nation of 330 million people where ~3 million die each year that 200k deaths (many of which are would have died this year anyway) of really old, really sick people is collectively insignificant. Sure there are some tragic deaths, but there are tragic deaths each year from myriad causes.

Bend the curve? Outside of like one or two hospitals for like a week the curve didn't need bending. Gosh, get a grip.

People like you are why there is no football this year.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Lol. Quite the opposite. The only way we'd have football now is if we did what Sweden did and let the virus run it's course. Like many countries, they failed to protect the old, yes, they and we should have done that better, but Democrrat governors did their best to kill the elderly.

I suppose you have a similar mindset to those in New Zealand - take the maximum precautions, nothing is too great a burden to make sure we are safe. Safety is paramount. We cannot lose one life to the insidious virus.  Well they went 100 days with no new cases and a couple days ago they had four new cases and went in to stage 50 lockdown and everyone is in a panic. How many years are they going to carry on like that. Contrast that with the Swedes who are literally living normal lives again!

New Zealand?  That place with live sports and fans in the stands?

“We the People” failed here more than any one person or political party.  Blame here lies with all levels of society and government but the real onus to keep this in check lies with each and every one of us - social distance, wear masks, avoid large gatherings (be it bars, parties, rallies, protests, whatever), and all the other common sense things.  Lots of TDS and teams and shit spin in this thread.

v0icAvfW.jpg

15 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This current case trend and it's experiential increase sine June has everything to do with protests and parties.

Seeing on the Facebooks many postings of kids going back to school already.  ND, WY, MT, TX.  Is the population density low enough to keep these places from having a super-spreader semester? Give it 6 weeks and we will see!

4 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Seeing on the Facebooks many postings of kids going back to school already.  ND, WY, MT, TX.  Is the population density low enough to keep these places from having a super-spreader semester? Give it 6 weeks and we will see!

It's not going to end well.  As Fauci not so diplomatically put it, it is part of the experiment.  

Damned if you do as lot's of people are going to get sick and damned if you do not as it puts a huge burden on parents already stressed to the breaking point.

19 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Instead of encouraging it and lionizing the protesters, democrats could have stayed focused on the pandemic.  Instead everybody wanted to be part of some social revolution, since that was how it was being painted, and 20 million went out in huge crowds night after night.  Kids, seeing this, are going to go and party because if we can protests in the thousands why in the hell can I not have a beer with the boys and try and get laid?

IDK man. I don't totally agree with this as we are effectively a continent with no central response to the pandemic. If you look at each state, or even each region's, individual response to the pandemic it has looked about like everyone else. The south was just hit later than NY/Washington. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.