Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quickdraw

All UNLV All Fall Thread

Well it could be a lean 5 months ahead for UNLV sport but the rebuilds will continue. We more than any other school could benefit from the down time ahead. Our 2 main sports programs are going through major rebuilds inside and out. While we were all excited to get into the new stadium the pandemic and subsequent shutdowns had to have limited the opportunities for the new staff to get the needed time with the players to teach much. So now this staff has the time to do put it together. Even still the new staff has been busy building. 2021 best MWC recruiting class...so far.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/unlvs-marcus-arroyo-winning-football-recruiting-war-2091999/

1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Well it could be a lean 5 months ahead for UNLV sport but the rebuilds will continue. We more than any other school could benefit from the down time ahead. Our 2 main sports programs are going through major rebuilds inside and out. While we were all excited to get into the new stadium the pandemic and subsequent shutdowns had to have limited the opportunities for the new staff to get the needed time with the players to teach much. So now this staff has the time to do put it together. Even still the new staff has been busy building. 2021 best MWC recruiting class...so far.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-football/unlvs-marcus-arroyo-winning-football-recruiting-war-2091999/

Been impressed by the recruiting Arroyo has done so far & much of it from distance as recruits haven't really been able to get on campus or see the facilities - Though I would imagine UNLV has but together video's of the football complex & Stadium to send to recruits 

13 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Been impressed by the recruiting Arroyo has done so far & much of it from distance as recruits haven't really been able to get on campus or see the facilities - Though I would imagine UNLV has but together video's of the football complex & Stadium to send to recruits 

15 of 16 recruits are 3*. It seems not too long ago those numbers were reversed. The staff looks to be very engaged. Players and recruits look to be energized. I was looking forward to my new seats in Allegiant stadium but they will need to wait. I didn’t like the program being shut down right after the FB staff arrived on campus. This reset should help them get organized better and once the season starts be a little better prepared. We shall see... at some point.

It seems so long ago the TJ came to Vegas. This being his first recruiting class and build from it he has done a really good job. The staff deserves a lot of credit. Maybe by next February or March we’ll be able to see where we are as a program. This little delay along the way could help the freshman to gel with the team and staff a bit before ball starts to get serious.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/aug/16/david-jenkins-on-unlvs-team-chemistry-canceled-spo/

David Jenkins on UNLV’s team chemistry, canceled sports and playing in a bubble

Jenkins said the team was getting along off the court, as teammates spent most of their time hanging together in their on-campus apartments. Breaking up that budding camaraderie was the most disappointing part about being sent home, according to Jenkins, but he believes UNLV has already developed impressive chemistry.

“This team is the most together team I’ve been on since I’ve been in college, and that’s even including some of the teams I’ve been on at South Dakota State University that went to the NCAA Tournament,” Jenkins said. “We were hanging out with each other every single day, playing poker, playing black jack, playing video games. The better you know your teammates, the better you know each other, the better it’s going to translate to the game. The more you hang out with your teammates off the court, it makes you look so much more unified on the court.”

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/aug/19/keshon-gilbert-proving-to-be-unlvs-type-of-recruit/

Keshon Gilbert proving to be UNLV’s type of recruit

In a Desert Regional semifinal game in February, Gilbert led his Durango team back from a 16-point deficit to beat Coronado. Gilbert scored 16 points on the night, made a ton of hustle plays and contributed to a solid defensive effort against 5-star Coronado guard Jaden Hardy. That’s the type of skill set Otzelberger tends to favor, and Gilbert knows that.

16 hours ago, akbballfan said:

it's "pandemic" not pandemic. 

You know this is fake as hell.

Anyway. 

fremont_cannon-D72510_045.jpg

And that’s BS. I know several people who have died from it, including my cousin and his son, both healthy. 

Good read on UNLV FB recruiting 

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/aug/23/unlv-football-recruiting-at-high-level-under-arroy/

UNLV football recruiting at high level under Arroyo

The 2021 class is loaded with high-school prospects who feel the same way Ivy does about UNLV. Sierra Vista (Baldwin Park, Calif.) teammates Nick Dimitris (defensive end) and Anthony Rosas (offensive line) are UNLV’s highest-rated recruits ever at their respective positions, while Cameron Friel (Kailua, Hawaii) is rated as the nation’s No. 47 quarterback and Jaylen Lane (Pearland, Texas) is the No. 67 safety.

And now that the ball is rolling, it seems UNLV’s recruiting momentum is starting to influence players’ decisions in a positive way.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, Rebels18 said:

F*cking HUGE. Grill will compete as the floor general w/ Marvin Coleman to join David Jenkins Jr and Bryce Hamilton in what WILL be the best backcourt in the country. 

I think that’s hyperbole, but I think it’s a top 25 backcourt.

Quasi-UNLV related.

Former Rebel commit Josh Pierre-Louis has transferred to UC Santa Barbara.  He originally signed with UNLV in Nov 2018 but decommitted after Menzies was fired and went to Temple.

Was a 3* Rivals top-150 recruit (#145) in hs.  Seems like a decent player.  Now listed on UCSB's roster, Pierre-Louis will have three years of eligibility.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:40 AM, jdgaucho said:

Quasi-UNLV related.

Former Rebel commit Josh Pierre-Louis has transferred to UC Santa Barbara.  He originally signed with UNLV in Nov 2018 but decommitted after Menzies was fired and went to Temple.

Was a 3* Rivals top-150 recruit (#145) in hs.  Seems like a decent player.  Now listed on UCSB's roster, Pierre-Louis will have three years of eligibility.

He would’ve been a terrible fit in Otzelberger’s system.

21 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He would’ve been a terrible fit in Otzelberger’s system.

Perhaps.  I hope this works out well for him.