Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Your fall sporting thread.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

In Wyoming? 

I mean, you know, if you need some.  It's cool to dunk corn in Glendo too.  I didn't mean to offend.  Sorry.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Things are going to be really shitty I fear.  Let's not talk about that though.  I figured with fall sports being cancelled we can post about our own sporting adventures.

Let's talk hunting and fishing!

Can we throw soccer and rifle in there too, since we're talking about super boring shet

40 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

The content is still accurate. Hunting and fishing is boring AF

Fake news!  Duck and goose, pheasant, deer, elk, and antelope.  Plus fishing for walleye, trout, and pan fish...nothing better in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Bob said:

Oh, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to tell me spots in Wyoming that I’m not aware of, but maybe? Do you go to the Mile and the reef a lot?

Relax Bob.  I haven't hit the Wyo tourist water in ages.  I do have a few honey holes up north, but almost all are as a guest of a local friend. There are a couple I've unearthed myself, and yes you are probably aware of them.  I just love the way Poke fans freak out when I mention I fish their hallowed waters.  BTW, the fishing is just as good in CO if you know where to go.  It's just tougher to avoid crowds.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, Bob said:

In Wyoming? 

He's like twice your age and therefore has like 4 times the adult hunting and fishing experience you do as well as having lived in Northern Colorado from 1980-2000 when it was less Denver North and more its own area. 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:14 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nothing boring about fishing and hunting stories.

don't challenge me

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I know CO has great fishing, but the crowds I cannot handle.

Sorry if I'm on edge. This year has been TERRIBLE for crowds. And seemingly every +++++ing car is from CO. Like every parking spot full by lake Marie with cars lining the highway. wtf? I've never seen anything like it. Was there an article in the Post imploring all greenies to invade Wyoming? They've ruined most of the few trips I've done this summer. Vedawoo is like Yellowstone this year. I have a couple places in the Snowies that are "secret" (I realize the Snowies are not wild, remote, or all that great of fishing so I shouldn't be that upset, but they're close) that got discovered this year. I'm feeling sensitive. To make matters worse, on another water that I know no one else fishes I think there was a fish kill :( Fishing sucked like it never has before. ugh! A go to place of mine in the Winds had someone from +++++ing Utah fishing it. I was apoplectic.

It's a good thing I did not make it up to some of 'my' places up north because I'm sure they were crawling with people too and I would have had a brain aneurysm and died.

Anyway here's a pic of a fish at my super secret place which is basically an irrigation canal with fantastic fishing. This is my only usual place that fished somewhat normally!

thumbnail.jpg.68e816e7423142e0638dd96794f3211f.jpg

screw year 2020! Worst year ever

Did they happen to have BYU gear on?  My friend @#1Stunner has said he enjoys fishing in SW Wyoming.

Nice brown btw.

Little birdy told me today was the day they were going to lower the water on the S.F. of the Boise.  Anybody who knows fishing knows that means the fish will go crazy.  And they did.  Caught 20 or Rainbows in the 16-22 inch range.  And kept this big fat white fish (only fish you can keep on the river right now).

Forgive my messy cleaning of it.  I was not planning on keeping a fish so did not bring ice.  To keep the fish good I cleaned it on the river on a rock with my bowie and tossed it in the Minnie cooler after.  Was freaking delicious.

118084065_1691892674307069_6006082198184262524_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=zwfd_BU72doAX-y2xZ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.fna&oh=44e4dcee93edadbf87011743d1cc1e90&oe=5F60A9F1

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Little birdy told me today was the day they were going to lower the water on the S.F. of the Boise.  Anybody who knows fishing knows that means the fish will go crazy.  And they did.  Caught 20 or Rainbows in the 16-22 inch range.  And kept this big fat white fish (only fish you can keep on the river right now).

Forgive my messy cleaning of it.  I was not planning on keeping a fish so did not bring ice.  To keep the fish good I cleaned it on the river on a rock with my bowie and tossed it in the Minnie cooler after.  Was freaking delicious.

118084065_1691892674307069_6006082198184262524_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=zwfd_BU72doAX-y2xZ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fboi1-1.fna&oh=44e4dcee93edadbf87011743d1cc1e90&oe=5F60A9F1

Never caught a whitefish before...how do you prepare them? I’ve heard they are decent eating...

49 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Never caught a whitefish before...how do you prepare them? I’ve heard they are decent eating...

You de-scale them first then clean it like you would any other fish.  They are probably the tastiest fish on the river but really bony so even with the big ones, you can not really do filet.  Because it is such a tasty fish I just cook it really simple.  I steam it.  Half a cup of water, some butter, few slices of lemon and olive oil all go in the pan, then place the fish in.  Cover loosely in foil and steam, time varies by size.  When it is done, lightly salt and pepper and eat it like finger food, or just a fork to tear the flesh from the bone.  

1 minute ago, Bob said:

I get so mad when I catch whitefish lol. They typically fight harder than trout so you always think you have a big trout when you hook a whitey. I'm not sure why I was taught to hate them now that I think about it. I've eaten them before and, I agree, they are super tasty, but yes, exceedingly bony. @halfmanhalfbronco that's indeed a pig whitey. Well done.

I enjoy catching them.  Like you said, they are strong and fight hard.  Super tough fish.  I caught one about that size and put it in a swimming hole to keep it fresh for dinner.  It rammed it's head into the stones that composed the little swimming hole in the camp spot until it dislodged one and swam away.  I watched it charge the wall over and over for about 20 minutes thinking that any fish this tough deserves to live if it can get free.  

Just now, kingpotato said:

People there do that

Some people even like golf

People are so weird

Very few as a percentage.  You would fit right in.

Anybody who thinks fishing and hunting is boring does not deserve the label "Idahoan".  Let me guess, you think fry sauce is just ok?