Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Mountain West Cancels Fall Sports

7 hours ago, tspoke said:

Interview with Tom Burman twitter thread.

He is concerned about some players going home because they are a lot safer on campus. They should have tried to play on like AF is. 

AF

BYU

Neb

Wyom

NM st

The Masters 5k road race All American.

The more I have thought about it the better I feel about having a spring season. There are 2 main scenarios I see happening:

Scenario 1. The fall playing conferences are correct. We can play football safely with the procedures put in place with minimal problems to the players and coaches. Its a bit of a learning process but they get a full fall season for those conferences. In that case the spring playing conferences can start early in the spring semester, say January. They have the knowledge from the fall season playing conferences and things can go relatively smoothly, not even taking into account advances in testing/treatment/possible vaccine. Will finish up with plenty of time for the players to recover for fall season. Possible couple weeks delayed start to 2021 but maybe not.

Scenario 2. The fall season does not go well. Teams and conferneces see outbreaks of covid and have to shut down. We end up having to do a spring schedule for everyone. Then we end up adjusting the next season to make accommodations for the 2021 season. Probably a shortened spring season and also a shortened 2021 season. It sucks but the teams that tried and failed to play this fall will show there wasn't much other option and we will still get some football.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

The more I have thought about it the better I feel about having a spring season. There are 2 main scenarios I see happening:

Scenario 1. The fall playing conferences are correct. We can play football safely with the procedures put in place with minimal problems to the players and coaches. Its a bit of a learning process but they get a full fall season for those conferences. In that case the spring playing conferences can start early in the spring semester, say January. They have the knowledge from the fall season playing conferences and things can go relatively smoothly, not even taking into account advances in testing/treatment/possible vaccine. Will finish up with plenty of time for the players to recover for fall season. Possible couple weeks delayed start to 2021 but maybe not.

Scenario 2. The fall season does not go well. Teams and conferneces see outbreaks of covid and have to shut down. We end up having to do a spring schedule for everyone. Then we end up adjusting the next season to make accommodations for the 2021 season. Probably a shortened spring season and also a shortened 2021 season. It sucks but the teams that tried and failed to play this fall will show there wasn't much other option and we will still get some football.

I watched the first episode of hard knocks yesterday, and it was hammered home to the players that the only places they’re allowed to be are at home and at the facility. I think it can be done, but it requires a lot of dedication, self-policing, and a level of trust that’s difficult to muster even in normal times. It doesn’t sound fun, that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

Scenario 3: Conferences play fall season and playoffs making tons of money and helping recruiting. Spring causes a new outbreak combined with flu making it too difficult to tell who has covid and who doesn't. Spring season never gets off the ground due to sickness and risk and quarantines. Conferences planning to play in spring get no money, get less recruits, and start a cycle of being years behind their peers due to the financial shortage that costs them in retaining coaches, facility improvements, recruiting budgets, etc, and regret making the decision to cancel the fall season 4+ weeks earlier then they had to.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

I think you’re missing a perhaps equally or greater likely scenario.  There is no spring season and there is no football this year for many teams like Wyoming.  Don’t want to see it but that is where I see things headed right now.  

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I think you’re missing a perhaps equally or greater likely scenario.  There is no spring season and there is no football this year for many teams like Wyoming.  Don’t want to see it but that is where I see things headed right now.  

So you think they will get a fall season in but no spring season. If they are able to get a fall season in I don't see any reason a spring season isn't likely. Unless you are saying their won't be any football fall or spring. That's a possibility but then it didn't matter if we postponed it now or not.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:25 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

How about we complain about the agenda driven media for completely misleading the way that they report the statistics? Kudos to this local Spokane Washington station for simply reporting the facts and the viewer can draw their own conclusion. Every single TV station in the country should be reporting it this way:

image.jpeg.1bab0db83ae23c6a04d0d4307e900915.jpegimage.png.a11a54a71b8e05ed6051bec940958e9e.png

Where you are now is where I was a couple months ago. But not now that we have more information about it.

Those published stats say absolutely nothing about the permanent damage done to the hearts and/or immune systems and even brains of so many survivors.

Personally, I'm not concerned about dying from COVID if I should be exposed to it. I am, however, concerned about its possible impact on the rest of my life.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, soupslam1 said:

Any guesses how the financial situation will be handled by most schools? There will be very little income obviously but also less expenses. I assume most scholarships will still be honored. Will coaches get paid their full salary?

How will the financial short fall be handled? Raising ticket prices and student fees won’t be acceptable. Will the schools borrow the money or will some just flat discontinue intercollegiate sports?

Athletic Departments will likely receive a term loan from their University which will be repaid over subsequent seasons. This is a practice that has existed for a long time. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Aztec Club handles a lot of the scholarships, and I assume most schools are similar.  Salaries are interesting, I don't know how much is being paid by the boosters, but I don't assume a lot for SDSU.  SDSU student fee increases have to be voted on by the students, so that is a no-go.  I wonder if the media deal will actually be paid out, that could be a blow.  The positive is that travel, lodging, and operations costs aren't happening.  

I am very interested to see the differences between P5 and G5 that play vs those that don't and see what the true losses are.  

Tom Burman's $8-$15 million in losses to MW schools is quite different than what USU's John Hartwell said on the Sirius college sports show this morning.

According to Hartwell, he and his peers began discussing the possibility of no fall football season early enough that  to his knowledge, everybody held off on travel cost commitments. As I understood it, what he meant was that MW schools typically get reduced room rates by reserving them far in advance with the quid pro quo that even if they go unused the university is on the hook to pay for them. However, Hartwell said USU didn't reserve rooms far in advance this year and his understanding was USU was typical of the MW generally. As such, said Hartwell, USU expects to lose $5-7 million by not playing football at all this academic year and much of that would be mitigated by playing a truncated schedule in the spring should that be possible. (In contrast, said Hartwell, P5 conference members figure to lose $50-$100 million by not playing football at all this AY.)

What Hartwell said comports with what JD Wicker has said about SDSU.

Since Burman's figure is so much higher, I wonder whether Wyo went ahead and booked hotel accommodations which were non-refundable. That is particularly so since there have been rumors that Wyo opposed the MW's decision not to play an all-conference schedule this fall.

Here's one more thing for the disgruntled to ponder.

You're pissed because among other things you think the MW decision not to play this fall will put the conference behind the 8-ball compared to the conferences which are going to play. But what if those conferences can't complete their schedules because of (1) too many players getting sick, or (2) player boycotts after some teammates get sick or (3) simply bad pub resulting from doing something that most of the country thinks is placing the almighty dollar above student safety?

If that should happen, there is next to no chance those conferences will be able to just shut things down and then pick up the schedule again in the spring. College football isn't the NBA. You can't put football players in a bubble for a few months as the NBA was able to do. OTOH, for the MW and the other conferences which won't play this fall, they could conceivably still have a shortened schedule after the first of the year.

Bottom Line: Nobody on this board has been more critical of Craig Thompson and the MWC than me but I think they've gotten THIS right.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

So you think they will get a fall season in but no spring season. If they are able to get a fall season in I don't see any reason a spring season isn't likely. Unless you are saying their won't be any football fall or spring. That's a possibility but then it didn't matter if we postponed it now or not.

As much as I dislike no football, I don’t think there will be a spring season at Wyoming and many other schools.  It just isn’t as feasible as some seem to think. 

But I doubt there will be an announcement one way or another until February or so.  Announce too early and there will be a wave of transfers.  

You can also read between the lines on Burman’s thoughts:
https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/spring-football-isnt-a-given-but-wyomings-players-will-have-a-voice-in-the-discussion/article_6d1f9c1a-4b9a-5ed6-9ec9-1608839992d0.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Tom Burman's $8-$15 million in losses to MW schools is quite different than what USU's John Hartwell said on the Sirius college sports show this morning.

According to Hartwell, he and his peers began discussing the possibility of no fall football season early enough that  to his knowledge, everybody held off on travel cost commitments. As I understood it, what he meant was that MW schools typically get reduced room rates by reserving them far in advance with the quid pro quo that even if they go unused the university is on the hook to pay for them. However, Hartwell said USU didn't reserve rooms far in advance this year and his understanding was USU was typical of the MW generally. As such, said Hartwell, USU expects to lose $5-7 million by not playing football at all this academic year and much of that would be mitigated by playing a truncated schedule in the spring should that be possible. (In contrast, said Hartwell, P5 conference members figure to lose $50-$100 million by not playing football at all this AY.)

What Hartwell said comports with what JD Wicker has said about SDSU.

Since Burman's figure is so much higher, I wonder whether Wyo went ahead and booked hotel accommodations which were non-refundable. That is particularly so since there have been rumors that Wyo opposed the MW's decision not to play an all-conference schedule this fall.

I believe Burman was looking a the bigger picture in terms of ticket and game revenue, media revenue and donor dollars.  At Wyoming, I actually think the $8-$15 million projection could be on the low end.  

9 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Here's one more thing for the disgruntled to ponder.

You're pissed because among other things you think the MW decision not to play this fall will put the conference behind the 8-ball compared to the conferences which are going to play. But what if those conferences can't complete their schedules because of (1) too many players getting sick, or (2) player boycotts after some teammates get sick or (3) simply bad pub resulting from doing something that most of the country thinks is placing the almighty dollar above student safety?

If that should happen, there is next to no chance those conferences will be able to just shut things down and then pick up the schedule again in the spring. College football isn't the NBA. You can't put football players in a bubble for a few months as the NBA was able to do. OTOH, for the MW and the other conferences which won't play this fall, they could conceivably still have a shortened schedule after the first of the year.

Bottom Line: Nobody on this board has been more critical of Craig Thompson and the MWC than me but I think they've gotten THIS right.

Text tonight from my relative who is a P5 AD - “I wish I was an ad of a g5, fcs, d2 school right now. No idea how we are going to fill the gap. We aren’t playing - major tug of war between president, boosters, and other presidents of the conference who delusionally think we can play.  In all likelihood we won’t play.  Legal liability and other issues too much to overcome.  Fortunately a few of my donors have already said they would contribute to make up part of the gap but it’s not close to filling it.”

23 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Where you are now is where I was a couple months ago. But not now that we have more information about it.

Those published stats say absolutely nothing about the permanent damage done to the hearts and/or immune systems and even brains of so many survivors.

Personally, I'm not concerned about dying from COVID if I should be exposed to it. I am, however, concerned about its possible impact on the rest of my life.

What permanent damage? What scientific-based, factual evidence do you have to show me that there is permanent heart damage? My point is that this graph is completely unbiased and without a political agenda. Why aren’t all of the national news stations providing the graphics in this manner, including Fox News? I want more information, not less. Don’t you?

23 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

What permanent damage? What scientific-based, factual evidence do you have to show me that there is permanent heart damage? My point is that this graph is completely unbiased and without a political agenda. Why aren’t all of the national news stations providing the graphics in this manner, including Fox News? I want more information, not less. Don’t you?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

The disease is now known to be far less binary than originally believed. That is to say, although the majority of people who are exposed don't get any sicker than if they had the common flu, those who do get sicker than that aren't just at death's door. Rather, there are a significant number of people in between those extremes who survive without being in the ICU but who have permanent damage to one or more organs.

4 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The graph is bias because it does not include the range of responses that surviving covid entails.

Therefore a not dead vs dead number is meaningless.

It's like thinking Shaq is a good shooter because he has a high FG%. Leaving out that when it doesn't involve dunking, like say free throws he shoots in the 30% not the 60%, or that where fg% is truly meaningful (from behind the 3pt line) he shoots a horrible 10% is dishonest to the person evaluating.

32 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Quite the sexy photo catalog you have there. The red will look so nice in the coming holiday season.

Santa's helpers are going to be quite busy riding that cannon.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, jdgaucho said:

Santa's helpers are going to be quite busy riding that cannon.

I think it should be put up on the main page of MW board big and red for the holidays. 

Maybe we should just have it up there all the time. I think we should do that.