mugtang

Mountain West Cancels Fall Sports

9 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Here's one more thing for the disgruntled to ponder.

You're pissed because among other things you think the MW decision not to play this fall will put the conference behind the 8-ball compared to the conferences which are going to play. But what if those conferences can't complete their schedules because of (1) too many players getting sick, or (2) player boycotts after some teammates get sick or (3) simply bad pub resulting from doing something that most of the country thinks is placing the almighty dollar above student safety?

If that should happen, there is next to no chance those conferences will be able to just shut things down and then pick up the schedule again in the spring. College football isn't the NBA. You can't put football players in a bubble for a few months as the NBA was able to do. OTOH, for the MW and the other conferences which won't play this fall, they could conceivably still have a shortened schedule after the first of the year.

Bottom Line: Nobody on this board has been more critical of Craig Thompson and the MWC than me but I think they've gotten THIS right.

Text tonight from my relative who is a P5 AD - “I wish I was an ad of a g5, fcs, d2 school right now. No idea how we are going to fill the gap. We aren’t playing - major tug of war between president, boosters, and other presidents of the conference who delusionally think we can play.  In all likelihood we won’t play.  Legal liability and other issues too much to overcome.  Fortunately a few of my donors have already said they would contribute to make up part of the gap but it’s not close to filling it.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Where you are now is where I was a couple months ago. But not now that we have more information about it.

Those published stats say absolutely nothing about the permanent damage done to the hearts and/or immune systems and even brains of so many survivors.

Personally, I'm not concerned about dying from COVID if I should be exposed to it. I am, however, concerned about its possible impact on the rest of my life.

What permanent damage? What scientific-based, factual evidence do you have to show me that there is permanent heart damage? My point is that this graph is completely unbiased and without a political agenda. Why aren’t all of the national news stations providing the graphics in this manner, including Fox News? I want more information, not less. Don’t you?

23 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

What permanent damage? What scientific-based, factual evidence do you have to show me that there is permanent heart damage? My point is that this graph is completely unbiased and without a political agenda. Why aren’t all of the national news stations providing the graphics in this manner, including Fox News? I want more information, not less. Don’t you?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

The disease is now known to be far less binary than originally believed. That is to say, although the majority of people who are exposed don't get any sicker than if they had the common flu, those who do get sicker than that aren't just at death's door. Rather, there are a significant number of people in between those extremes who survive without being in the ICU but who have permanent damage to one or more organs.

4 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The graph is bias because it does not include the range of responses that surviving covid entails.

Therefore a not dead vs dead number is meaningless.

It's like thinking Shaq is a good shooter because he has a high FG%. Leaving out that when it doesn't involve dunking, like say free throws he shoots in the 30% not the 60%, or that where fg% is truly meaningful (from behind the 3pt line) he shoots a horrible 10% is dishonest to the person evaluating.

32 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Quite the sexy photo catalog you have there. The red will look so nice in the coming holiday season.

Santa's helpers are going to be quite busy riding that cannon.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, jdgaucho said:

Santa's helpers are going to be quite busy riding that cannon.

I think it should be put up on the main page of MW board big and red for the holidays. 

Maybe we should just have it up there all the time. I think we should do that.