Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Mountain West Cancels Fall Sports

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

The media decides what graphics they put up, and what they don’t. It’s deception by omission. Enough with the political agenda. Tell me this, why isn’t every single TV station in the country reporting the statistics the way that the station above does? Look at those statistics. Look at them!Look at those statistics. Look at them!

I already said they aid in hysterics.  Stop excusing politicians.  Agenda?  GTFO with that bullshit.  I don't have a political agenda.  Unless you mean I blame all politicians.  Sad that you only blame media.

I think the threat of litigation shut the football season down. You can make players sign a waiver, but that doesn’t prevent you from being sued and losing if protocols aren’t strictly followed. The presidents didn’t want to deal with that possibility and I don’t blame them. 

I'm guessing it ended up being a unanimous vote but I'm sure the pressure was coming from a number of schools. I think the California schools were not going to have a hard time doing it(Fresno hadn't even had any athletes back on campus yet) especially if the PAC shuts down, I think the state wasn't going to make it easy for them to have a season. And New Mexico was having issues with their governor(haven't been up to date if that was resolved), then with the mess at CSU and them shutting down until things cleared up it didn't leave a lot left for the conference to do in my mind. Sucks especially since WYO hasn't had a single case in the athletic department and have been doing everything right. I think we could have competed(if anyone in the country can safely) but for the conference overall it was the move they felt they had to make.

Edit. I want to be clear that I am not blaming any institution or institutions for the MW canceling the season its just that different schools were in different situations and some were in a better situation than other s but overall the conference had too many schools in a bad situation to play.

4 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I already said they aid in hysterics.  Stop excusing politicians.  Agenda?  GTFO with that bullshit.  I don't have a political agenda.  Unless you mean I blame all politicians.  Sad that you only blame media.

I didn’t say you had an agenda, why so defensive? But anyone who is hyping up this disease and creating fear and panic when none is justified, then yes I do believe they have an agenda. But they are not “aiding” in the hysterics, they are intentionally creating it.

21 hours ago, Bob said:

I feel like anyone that pushed the COVID scam over the past 6 months should stfu about being angry or butthurt right about now. THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR YOUR STUPIDITY

It is a big scam. It is not going away. It is not slowing down. Positive cases are skyrocketing, but deaths are not. No point in hiding. You can't hide. Your mask won't work. 

The death rate is very low. I don't think it justifies all the shutdowns. I think certain media outlets are profiting from it and using it for political gain. 

Any guesses how the financial situation will be handled by most schools? There will be very little income obviously but also less expenses. I assume most scholarships will still be honored. Will coaches get paid their full salary?

How will the financial short fall be handled? Raising ticket prices and student fees won’t be acceptable. Will the schools borrow the money or will some just flat discontinue intercollegiate sports?

39 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Any guesses how the financial situation will be handled by most schools? There will be very little income obviously but also less expenses. I assume most scholarships will still be honored. Will coaches get paid their full salary?

How will the financial short fall be handled? Raising ticket prices and student fees won’t be acceptable. Will the schools borrow the money or will some just flat discontinue intercollegiate sports?

Aztec Club handles a lot of the scholarships, and I assume most schools are similar.  Salaries are interesting, I don't know how much is being paid by the boosters, but I don't assume a lot for SDSU.  SDSU student fee increases have to be voted on by the students, so that is a no-go.  I wonder if the media deal will actually be paid out, that could be a blow.  The positive is that travel, lodging, and operations costs aren't happening.  

I am very interested to see the differences between P5 and G5 that play vs those that don't and see what the true losses are.  

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

If we are able to play in the spring and get people in the stands it would actually be better financially in the long run. A bit lean through the fall and there is uncertainty but if we can get fans in the stands it will end better for us.