Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Los_Aztecas

Unpopular opinion: Trumps EO's are politically savvy and a huge win

On 8/10/2020 at 2:48 PM, bornontheblue said:

I hate to burst your bubble but Social Security and Medicare became insolvent decades ago. 

I hate to burst YOURS but Social Security is sacrosanct to senior citizens and doing anything which might result in several million of them voting for Biden when they otherwise wouldn't have could in itself lose the election for the Master of Disaster.

11 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I hate to burst YOURS but Social Security is sacrosanct to senior citizens and doing anything which might result in several million of them voting for Biden when they otherwise wouldn't have could in itself lose the election for the Master of Disaster.

I get it. A lot of people depend on social security. You completely missed my point though which is the trust fund you supposedly pay into for your future social security and Medicare benefits ran dry many years ago. There is not a pile of money you have accumulated waiting for you to draw it out when you are eligible. Current recipients are getting paid from current workers, and from general budget funds. Social security became insolvent many years before Trump ever became president. 

1 hour ago, bornontheblue said:

I get it. A lot of people depend on social security. You completely missed my point though which is the trust fund you supposedly pay into for your future social security and Medicare benefits ran dry many years ago. There is not a pile of money you have accumulated waiting for you to draw it out when you are eligible. Current recipients are getting paid from current workers, and from general budget funds. Social security became insolvent many years before Trump ever became president. 

Correct and among the reasons Trump's idea is really, really stupid is the immediate impact the action could have on seniors.